Jack Bruce RIP

Pages: 2 – [ 1 2 | Next ]
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
zphage
zphage
3378 posts

Jack Bruce RIP
Oct 25, 2014, 15:22
It is with great sadness that we, Jack’s family, announce the passing of our beloved Jack: husband, father, granddad, and all round legend. The world of music will be a poorer place without him, but he lives on in his music and forever in our hearts.

http://jackbruce.com/
1001realapes
1001realapes
2386 posts

Re: Jack Bruce RIP
Oct 25, 2014, 15:28
Oh shit !
Deepinder Cheema
Deepinder Cheema
1972 posts

Oct 25, 2014, 15:56
this has come as quite a shock.
IanB
IanB
6761 posts

Edited Oct 25, 2014, 20:01
Oct 25, 2014, 18:13
That's a shocker. He had that wonderful ability to make his instrument sound like a horn and a bass at the same time. He will inevitably be remembered primarily for Cream but he also opened the door to a lot of the stranger areas of jazz for rock listeners with Lifetime and his early solo records. Great singer too. RIP Jack. I guess those of us who bought records before Punk Rock are increasingly seeing heroes and even some peers pass on. Fuck.
Moon Cat
9577 posts

Edited Oct 25, 2014, 19:51
Oct 25, 2014, 19:51
Sad news. Great bass player managed to sneak jazz into rock a bit.

I know Cream is the original super-group but I have a fondness for another super-group he was in more recently, Spectrum Road- it was a fusiontastic outfit featuring Vernon Reid amongst others.

RIP top bass bloke.
spencer
spencer
3070 posts

Jack Bruce RIP
Oct 25, 2014, 21:41
I knew his health wasn't good, but when my mate texted me the news this afternoon it was 'oh SHIT'. A real shock. I hadn't seen him for over forty years, big mistake. Like Ian says, an ever increasingly frequent occurence for pre-punkers. Farewell trailblazer and master of instrument. RIP.
Deepinder Cheema
Deepinder Cheema
1972 posts

Edited Oct 26, 2014, 01:41
Oct 26, 2014, 01:41
Richard Williams of MM and OGWT and now the Guardian had been reflecting since the news broke & was made official wrote a personal piece on his web notes

http://thebluemoment.com/2014/10/25/jack-bruce-1943-2014/#comments
Stevo
Stevo
6664 posts

Oct 26, 2014, 13:24
Wonder if this will mean any memorial releases?
Hoping it might lead to release of live stuff from around 70ish in releasable quality. Thinking particularly of Lifetime stuff. There was a Beat Club performance that wound up just being them appearing on the titles, it has been rumoured that their performance was either too long or too out for broadcast. Been hoping it might appear in the Lost Broadcasts series. Hope it survived.
Also audio from around then would be good. Not sure if there is anything recorded apart from the Newcastle set but fingers crossed.
He was also performing with a couple of supergroup lineups. So anything from there would be welcome. Assuming that an official release would have sound professionally remastered, if that's possible.
Stevo
Deepinder Cheema
Deepinder Cheema
1972 posts

Oct 26, 2014, 14:16
The Beat Club stuff sounds most interesting. There person who might know is Colin Harper who I am sure would have looked into any John McLaughlin performances. If not then I'm sure he knows. There is a very good interview with Michael Leckebusch of Beat Club in the seminal book Vox Pop by Michael Wale pub Harrap in 1972. He seemed then a very committed individual who blazed a trail for getting this kind of music onto the mainstream media. Perhaps this is the reason why Europe got it better than the US and UK - or so my imagination tells me.
Deepinder Cheema
Deepinder Cheema
1972 posts

Oct 28, 2014, 01:02
some thoughts by John Mclaughlin.

http://www.abstractlogix.com/news_view.php?idno=654
Pages: 2 – [ 1 2 | Next ] Add a reply to this topic

Unsung Forum Index