Head To Head
Register
Unsung Forum »
David Bowie - Sue (or in a season of crime)

Topic View: Flat | Threaded
jb lamptoast-morsley
jb lamptoast-morsley
2447 posts

Edited Oct 14, 2014, 23:12
David Bowie - Sue (or in a season of crime)
Oct 14, 2014, 23:12
Surprised no one has mentioned this yet. As mentioned in soundtracks, it is Bowie's latest song and is on the jazzier spectrum of Bowie, reminiscent perhaps of Outside. Which to me is certainly no bad thing. Best thing I've heard and been drawn to from Dave since Earthling for me. I much prefer his more experimental, playful side.

*Edit, oh yeah, here's the link:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dsryGBHiAIg
anthonyqkiernan
anthonyqkiernan
7087 posts

Re: David Bowie - Sue (or in a season of crime)
Oct 16, 2014, 09:45
I'm also surprised. No idea what any of it's about, but it's damn fine. might get me the 10" of that
Moon Cat
9577 posts

Oct 16, 2014, 14:35
I like the skittery drum n bass style rhythms at the start, (like a more organic "Earthling" period) and the way it all kind of rolls out. Some of the vocals seem a little 'yelpy' towards the end but it's a pretty cool thing. I like.
keith a
9573 posts

Oct 16, 2014, 22:21
Meanwhile, somewhere in the ether, a distant voice can just about be heard as The Ghost Of Ronno quietly mutters "What the bloody hell is that, Dave?"

Interesting though...
Glam Descendant
1539 posts

Edited Oct 21, 2014, 06:26
Oct 21, 2014, 05:08
The 10" will have another new song (an exclusive) on the b-side: "'Tis A Pity She Was A Whore".

Edited to add: there *will* be a digital download available.

And artwork here:

http://www.davidbowie.com/news/sue-single-update-plus-cover-artwork-revealed-53461
espsummer
340 posts

Oct 22, 2014, 07:08
i can't help but think that this is almost like a Scott Walker tribute. He would do well in my opinion if he made a whole album in this vain.
anthonyqkiernan
anthonyqkiernan
7087 posts

Oct 22, 2014, 09:28
espsummer wrote:
i can't help but think that this is almost like a Scott Walker tribute. He would do well in my opinion if he made a whole album in this vain.

Was my thought too (the Scott bit). Sounds like it could be on Black Tie White Noise, IMO
Fitter Stoke
Fitter Stoke
2611 posts

Oct 22, 2014, 17:33
Personally it makes me think of Robert Wyatt's 'Team Spirit', albeit more big band than free jazz. It even shares a melodic link with it.

Damn fine single, whatever.
Unsung Forum Index