Pages: 2 – [ 1 2 | Next ]
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
spencer
spencer
3071 posts

Edited Sep 21, 2014, 13:56
Soundtrack Of Our Lives Week Ending 21st September 2014 CE
Sep 21, 2014, 13:51
I took a bagful of CDs to play when I went off on my camping hol in Galloway, and thought I might get through quite a few. As it was, I was tripped up by just three, and kept playing them in my tent into the wee small hours. All works of brilliance..... 1) John Martyn - Ain't No Saint ... the live stuff with Danny Thompson. Took me somewhere else. Bless the weather........ 2) Holger Czukay - Movies ... I used to concentrate on the Persian Love side when listening on vinyl, but now have great affection for the entire album. Hadn't played for a bit. Sometimes it's best to lay off some albums for a bit and them savour them, as per fine whisky or other intoxicants ........ 3) Paul Kantner + Jefferson Starship - Blows Against The Empire ... what else to play on a clear night on the edge of the Galloway Dark Sky Park when auroras are in the offing than Have You Seen The Stars Tonight? It is impossible to underestimate Grace Slicks contribution to this record, both vocally and on piano. At the root, it is a piano and 12 string acoustic guitar album, with everything else tacked on. And, as I've raved here previously, the most sonorous, beautiful feedback I've ever heard. This album takes me somewhere else and goes in my grave goods, if I have one. Part of my life for over forty years now: me....... Since I've got back: 4) V/A - And Someone Left The Cake Out In The Rain ... Jimmy Webb's music by those that made it great. If you're not torn up by Levi Stubbs's vocal on The Four Tops' Do What You've Got To Do then you're lacking, imo ........ 5) The Necks - Chemist ... to me, the best band in the world. How I wish I could get to their four London gigs at Cafe Oto next month ........ 5) Captain Beefheart - Lick My Decals Off/ Trout Mask Replica/ Shiny Beast (in multiple versions ... sometimes it takes a long time to 'get' some records. In my case with Trout Mask well over forty years. Now a door has opened thanks to my mate, who at present has like me, never appreciated the Captain's music so much... and he toured with him. A bit of a cunt to others on occasions, like JM, but a genius. Full stop(.)
Popel Vooje
5373 posts

Edited Sep 22, 2014, 13:39
Re: Soundtrack Of Our Lives Week Ending 21st September 2014 CE
Sep 21, 2014, 14:54
spencer wrote:
4) V/A - And Someone Left The Cake Out In The Rain ... Jimmy Webb's music by those that made it great. If you're not torn up by Levi Stubbs's vocal on The Four Tops' Do What You've Got To Do then you're lacking, imo ........ 5) Captain Beefheart - Lick My Decals Off/ Trout Mask Replica/ Shiny Beast (in multiple versions ... sometimes it takes a long time to 'get' some records. In my case with Trout Mask well over forty years. Now a door has opened thanks to my mate, who at present has like me, never appreciated the Captain's music so much... and he toured with him. A bit of a cunt to others on occasions, like JM, but a genius. Full stop(.)

Love the Jimmy Webb compilation. Until it came out I only really knew of his stuff via Glen Campbell, but that disc showed he was very versatile and could write for many different genres without sounding like a dilettante in any of them. definitely on a par with Bacharach/David, Goffin/King etc etc.

Re Beefheart - it took me a few weeks to appreciate "TMR", but for some reason I got "Decals" straight away, even though it's not all that different. Maybe my ears had become acclimatized to his muse by that point.

Et pour moi?

Goat - Commune
Purling Hiss - Wierdon
Two masterpieces in one month. Only had time to listen to each one twice but I'm practically creaming my jeans already!

The Stanley Brothers - All-Time Greatest Hits
Jimmie Rodgers - The Singing Brakeman (The Ultimate Collection)
Bearing in mind that Rodgers hailed from Mississippi in the early part of the 20th Century, and how segregated the American south was at the time, I'm surprised how close to the blues a lot of his stuff is. A few of the songs are based around that classic twelve-bar pattern, and if you took out the yodelling you could play most of his songs next to a Robert Johnson song without the two jarring against each other at all. Seems there may have been more of a cultural interface between black and white musicians than I thought, even back then. Best version of "Frankie and Johnny" I've ever heard, too.

Also
Carlo Gesualdo - Madrigals (Book 5)
Montage - s/t
Michael Nesmith - The Older Stuff
The Flaming Lips - 1991 Tarbox Demos (a bootleg, natch, containing many of the songs that ended up on "Hit to Death in the Future Head", but often in drastically re-worked versions).
Squid Tempest
Squid Tempest
8763 posts

Sep 21, 2014, 19:57
Vinyl:

Haikai No Ku - Ultra High Dimensionality
Mike Vest from Bong and others make a doomy masterpiece. Relatively brief pieces compared to Bong (mostly about 10 minutes) but with the same intensity and heaviosity. Mammoth!

Anthroprophh - Outside the Circle
Haven't had a chance to listen to this much yet, but first impressions are very favourable. Madly inventive and heavy and weird but still approachable. Fantastic!

Cosmic Dead - S/T
Didn't listen to this much when it first came out, but loved re-visiting it this week. A stormer!

Hills - Master Sleeps
I'm wondering if this might be the best thing Rocket have released this year, even in the company of Goat, Anthroprophh, Lay Llamas and Teeth of the Sea. I keep returning to it.

CDs:

Zed (Bernard Szajner) - Visions of Dune
Lat e 70s synth stuff from bloke who did light shows for Gong and Magma amongst others. Way ahead of its time, sounds like something Oneohtrix Point never did last week.

Carter Tutti Void - Transverse
Master Musicians of Bukakke - Totem One
Parson Sound - S/T comp
Beatles - White Album, Let it Be

Right, time to start packing for India next week...Om Shanti, motherfuckers.
garerama
garerama
1115 posts

Sep 21, 2014, 20:43
Ballboy - Club Anthems 2001

Beach Boys - Beach Boys Party! / Wild Honey / Stack-o-Tracks

Blue Cheer - Vincebus Eruptum

Chumbawamba - Be Happy Despite It All / Raising Heck / Pictures of
Starving Children Sell Records / Never Mind The Ballots

C.O.B - Spirit of Love

Alice Coltrane - Divine Songs

Julian Cope - Psychedelic Revolution

Dantalion's Chariot - Chariot Rising

The Family Tree - Miss Butters

The Fort Mudge Memorial Dump - S/t

Planet Gong - Live Floating Anarchy

July - The Second of July

Kennelmus - Folstone Prism

The Kinks - Kontroversy

John Lennon - Mind Games

Jeffrey Lewis - A Turn In The Dream Songs

Matching Mole - S/t

Oriental Sunshine - Dedicated To One We Love

Sagittarius - Blue Marbles

Sandy Salisbury - Sandy

The Seeds - Pushin' Too Hard

Sex Pistols - Never Mind The Bollocks

Bob Smith - The Visit

Stevie Wonder - Journey Through The Secret Life of Plants

Yellow Payges - Volume 1

Frank Zappa - Hot Rats / Burnt Weeny Sandwich / Them Or Us

V/A

Finders Keepers

Mind Expanders 2

World of Acid
flashbackcaruso
1057 posts

Sep 21, 2014, 22:28
Bob Dylan - John Wesley Harding
Bob Dylan - Nashville Skyline

Forest - Forest

The Kinks - Muswell Hillbillies
The Kinks - Everybody's In Show-biz
The Kinks - Soap Opera
The Kinks - Schoolboys In Disgrace

Elvis Presley - I Got Lucky
Elvis Presley - For The Asking
Elvis Presley - Viva Las Vegas
Elvis Presley - Elvis For Everyone
Elvis Presley - Tomorrow Is A Long Time

Mike Oldfield - Ommadawn

Lambchop - Thriller
Lambchop - What Another Man Spills
Lambchop - Nixon

Jenö Jandó - Beethoven Piano Sonatas 8-16

Linda Ronstadt - The Capitol Years
Linda Ronstadt - Don't Cry Now

The Beach Boys - Live: 50th Anniversary Tour
Maldoror
Maldoror
720 posts

Sep 21, 2014, 22:59
Electric Warrior and The Slider - T.Rex

Roxy Music and For Your Pleasure - Roxy Music

Aladdin Sane and The Rise and Fall of Ziggy Stardust and the Spiders from Mars - David Bowie

New York Dolls - New York Dolls

Stoner Rock - Bong

It's in the Brewing Luminous - Cecil Taylor Unit
Fatalist
Fatalist
1123 posts

Sep 21, 2014, 23:14
Jane Weaver – The Silver Globe. On first listen, this sounds great, really building on the spacerock/krautrock influences of The Fallen By Watchbird. JW is clearly a big Hawkwind fan, so hooray for her: https://soundcloud.com/jane-weaver/argent-the-silver-globe-19eggs-2014

Last Ex – s/t. More jazzy, psychy, krauty, post-rocky stuff. There’s a lot/too much of it around, but this is of a superior stripe and nicely cinematic in places.

Avec le soleil sortant de sa bouche – Zubberdust! Ditto the above (they’re both on Constellation), bit more frantic, but bit less satisfying overall mainly due to the vocals.

Gazelle Twin – The Entire City. Conceptual, industrial post-dubstep (excuse me, I appear to have ingested The Wire) that’s clearly pretty ‘good’, but makes me feel pretty ‘old’.

Royal Blood – s/t. Ah, the wonders of Spotify. A bit wearing over the full length, but in short doses, this precision-splice of QOTSA, Muse and Shellac is rather palatable. Best track: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-_3mNCaJgNM

Emma Tricca – Relic

English Heretic – Wyrd Tales 2

Fripp & Eno – Live In Paris 28.05.1975

Seven That Spells – The Death and Resurrection of Krautrock: AUM

Chris Forsyth & the Solar Motel Band – Intensity Ghost. Really starting to love this album now: https://soundcloud.com/noquarterrex/chris-forsyth-the-solar-motel-band-i-aint-waiting
Robot Emperor
Robot Emperor
762 posts

Sep 22, 2014, 00:58
Angkanang Kunchai With Ubon-Pattana Band - Isan Lam Plearn. Anyone know anything about Thai music from the mid seventies? This unlikely looking album has me completely hooked. A horrible sleeve hides a strange and eerie record. More alien than any other record from a culture removed from my own that I have come across. I think influenced by psychedelia but in a very odd way. Has its clunky moments but well worth a listen.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nGX4NWGkHwU

Peter Hammill - The Future Now, PH7.

Simple Minds - Sons And Fascination/Sister Feelings Call, New Gold Dream.
riverman
riverman
845 posts

Sep 22, 2014, 21:51
Back in the comfort of my living room after almost a week on the road and a busy day at work - this week's soundtracks:

Shindig Magazine - Rocket Recordings mix track. All your favourite Rocket bands in the one track

Kikagaky Moyo - Mammatus Clouds. This is sublime, especially the two long tracks that drone, shimmer and ripple beautifully.

Earth - Primitive and Deadly. From Zodiacal Light is one of my favourite tracks of the year I reckon. Probably my favourite Earth album, though I agree with the Quietus review about Mark Lanegan's first contribution - seems to be singing to a different track. I assume it's deliberate but it hasn't really grown on me as much as the rest. But recommended.

Bong - Stoner Rock
Henry Flynt - Celestial Power
Anji Cheung - Ritual
Nick Cave - Boatman's Call
Richard Pinhas and Yoshida Tatsuya - Welcome in the Void
Lay Llamas - Ostro

English Heretic - The Underworld Service. Sounds (and looks) intriguing but I need more focused time with this. Not a casual listen.

And finally about to spin a couple of new 7" from the Brighton drummer Andy Pyne who I met at Supernormal 2013. One is Map 71 which features Andy with Lisa Jayne reading her poetry (enjoyed listening to the bandcamp download) and Kellar with guitarist Dan Cross.
keith a
9573 posts

Sep 22, 2014, 23:15
Reflector – Arcade Fire
Hollow Pond – Astronauts
S/T - Creedence Clearwater Revival
Bloodflowers – The Cure
Into Forever - Eat Lights Become Lights
Taking Tiger Mountain (By Strategy) - Eno
Clockwork Curiosities – The Gaslight Troubadours
No Love No Hate – The Puddle