Luke Haines anyone?

Pages: 2 – [ 1 2 | Next ]
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
Carlos
Carlos
3884 posts

Luke Haines anyone?
Sep 15, 2014, 13:51
What to listen and what to avoid? Thanks in advance.
Hunter T Wolfe
Hunter T Wolfe
1708 posts

Re: Luke Haines anyone?
Sep 15, 2014, 15:02
There's a pretty great 3-CD compilation called Luke Haines Is Dead that is a thorough overview of his 1990s work with The Auteurs, Baader Meinhof, Black Box Recorder etc. After that, I think Off My Rocker At The Art School Bop is a rather overlooked cracker (and a great title).

Family life seems to have mellowed him and I personally preferred the bitter misanthrope of old, so while 'psychedelic meditations on British wrestling' and 'The North Sea Scrolls' are decent enough they don't have the depth or edge of his earlier work, and I haven't bothered with his last two albums.
Monganaut
Monganaut
2375 posts

Sep 15, 2014, 15:30
I Second the 3 CD overview 'Luke Haines is Dead'. Quite a few alternate versions on that release too. There's usually something to like on most of the albums/groups he's played with tbh.

As to albums proper I'd recommend..

The Auteurs - New Wave (there's a 2 CD expanded edition recently released)

The Auteurs - Black Sessions (you can usually find this for free on the web if you mooch about) but is released as the second CD of expanded 'After Murder Park' reissue.

The Auteurs - No Dialogue with Cunts (live) (which is also 2nd CD with reissue of How I Learned to Love The Boot Boys)

Baader Meinhoff - Baader Meinhoff

Would also recommend both of his 'biogs'. Great examples and hilarious musings of how not to have a pop career.

Bad Vibes: Britpop and my part in its downfall.

Post Everything: Outsider Rock and Roll.
wychburyman
951 posts

Sep 15, 2014, 17:47
Carlos wrote:

His first autobiography is well worth a read.

Take Head-on and Repossessed and crank the bitchy vile and venom up by a factor of 10!
necropolist
necropolist
1689 posts

Sep 15, 2014, 23:36
As well as the previously mentioned, I'd have to add the two Black Box Recorder albums, Facts of Life in particular.

Solo ones, Off My Rocker At the Art School Bop stands out. The others tend to be good, but a bit samey (there can, apparently, never be enough songs about the 1970's)
necropolist
necropolist
1689 posts

Sep 15, 2014, 23:37
wychburyman wrote:
Carlos wrote:

Take Head-on and Repossessed and crank the bitchy vile and venom up by a factor of 10!

i still want to know who 'that' briefly and astoundingly popular band at that Danish festival were
Repossessed
79 posts

Sep 15, 2014, 23:44
necropolist wrote:
wychburyman wrote:
Carlos wrote:

i still want to know who 'that' briefly and astoundingly popular band at that Danish festival were

Terrorvision, if I remember well (I was intrigued too and did a bit of searching).
Carlos
Carlos
3884 posts

Sep 16, 2014, 09:04
I would like to buy the b-sides box with 3 cds but the sellers at amazon with best prices wont send it to Portugal. They only sell to uk. With some help of you that could be fixed ;-) I will pay everything of course (p&p included)
anthonyqkiernan
anthonyqkiernan
7087 posts

Sep 16, 2014, 09:48
The North Sea Scrolls
thispoison
thispoison
253 posts

Sep 16, 2014, 21:34
Check out 'Leeds Utd.' from 2007. One of THEE great lost singles.

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=V3OA7PVZPSE
Pages: 2 – [ 1 2 | Next ] Add a reply to this topic

Unsung Forum Index