Register
Unsung Forum »
Apostles -- Punk Obituary

Topic View: Flat | Threaded
Lawrence
9547 posts

Apostles -- Punk Obituary
Aug 29, 2014, 22:33
Just got this reissue of this great album. Think I recall someone here had a connection to them...
Incoming Traveller
Incoming Traveller
218 posts

Re: Apostles -- Punk Obituary
Aug 30, 2014, 08:52
That'll be me - although there may be others. Had to sell my copy of the album years ago, sadly, but as I'm now 'official bird photographer' for UNIT (Andy Martin's current project) I tend to blag their albums for free. Good to hear The Apostles are still sounding fresh - a lot of stuff from that era has dated quite badly.
garerama
garerama
1111 posts

Aug 30, 2014, 09:42
Good to see this has been reissued. One of their finest releases from such a vast back catalogue.
Lawrence
9547 posts

Aug 30, 2014, 12:43
Yeah what I like about it are the attempts at hippie-psychedelia. I think this must've came out around '87 or so -- the hardcore punk scene in my town and especially around DC went the same way. And whatever you could say about Andy, he's quite profound and intelligent given the previous controversy he might've been involved in the past.
Lawrence
9547 posts

Aug 30, 2014, 12:49
I was pleasantly surprised to find this amongst the new stuff Russ at Needledrop Records had yesterday. I've seen the Apostles stuff go for astronomical prices these days.
Incoming Traveller
Incoming Traveller
218 posts

Aug 30, 2014, 14:36
Agree with you re Andy Martin. He's still by far the angriest person I've ever met (and with good reason), but he's also incredibly generous, kind, intelligent and funny. Quite a mixture!

Lots of the anarcho/punk/hardcore vinyl is fetching high prices - the artwork on a lot of the stuff (Apostles/R Peni/Crass etc) is fantastic in itself.
garerama
garerama
1111 posts

Aug 31, 2014, 10:13
Incoming Traveller wrote:
Agree with you re Andy Martin. He's still by far the angriest person I've ever met (and with good reason), but he's also incredibly generous, kind, intelligent and funny. Quite a mixture!

Lots of the anarcho/punk/hardcore vinyl is fetching high prices - the artwork on a lot of the stuff (Apostles/R Peni/Crass etc) is fantastic in itself.

Andy always claimed that the artwork and ideas was more important than the music. Their release generally came with lovely artwork, cartoons, handwritten ideas and lyrics etc ... One of the albums - more a Dave Fanning project "Cartography" - one of the experimental albums - was a series of drawings with a C-90 cassette hidden among it.

It is sad that the vinyl goes for so much money as they were originally sold at more or less break even cost.

I believe that BBP (Big Banana Products) released the Apostles back catalogue on CD a while back. They distributed all their cassettes in the eighties and come with a seal of approval.

One of the other wonderful things about the Apostles was the sheer diversity of the music. Experimental, punk, blues, psychedelia etc ... Also they choose some equally as diverse artists to cover - Charles Manson, Groundhogs, Alternative TV, Iron Brotherhood, Psychic TV ...
Incoming Traveller
Incoming Traveller
218 posts

Sep 01, 2014, 08:31
And UNIT (which Dave Fanning was a part of for several years, but Andy's at the centre of it) are very avant-garde, proggy, jazzy. Still got that Velvet Underground influence IMHO tho'!
Unsung Forum Index