Register
Unsung Forum »
Jon Beast

Topic View: Flat | Threaded
Kid Calamity
9045 posts

Jon Beast
Jul 27, 2014, 14:04
Promoter and Carter USM 'manager': R.I.P.

http://louderthanwar.com/jon-fat-beast-rip-carter-usm-compere-and-late-80s-indie-face-dies/

I remember doing a gig in London, in around 1986, at the Kentish Town Bull & Gate, that he put on.
elegant chaos
elegant chaos
2390 posts

Re: Jon Beast
Jul 28, 2014, 00:19
My first London gig with Stranger (later to become Counterfeit) was put on by Jon Fat Beast. He also helped plug the fanzine I was writing for one night. Saw him a fair bit down the B & G in the late 80's early 90's - and a couple of times appearing with Carter USM with the crowd chanting "YOU FAT BASTARD" at him.
Incoming Traveller
Incoming Traveller
218 posts

Jul 28, 2014, 09:59
Sad news. Thanks for this info, KC and the link (although details are sketchy to say the least).

I didn't know Jon but I met him a couple of times - he put on gigs by my sister's band (A Strange Desire) at the Timebox/Bull & Gate and I was there quite a lot at one time seeing Flowers In The Dustbin, Blyth Power etc.

Not sure how to break this to Sis : (

What band were you in, KC (I should probably know this)?
elegant chaos
elegant chaos
2390 posts

Jul 28, 2014, 16:15
From what I can gather he had been diagnosed with pancreatic cancer. He was in hospital following a serious operation and was in a medically induced coma post-op. He never woke up.
neighbourofthedrude
neighbourofthedrude
1555 posts

Jul 28, 2014, 16:17
:o(
Kid Calamity
9045 posts

Jul 28, 2014, 16:20
Incoming Traveller wrote:
What band were you in, KC (I should probably know this)?

It wasn't a name band, or anything. Anonymous Bosch: http://www.reverbnation.com/anonymousbosch1985
thesweetcheat
thesweetcheat
6214 posts

Jul 28, 2014, 18:31
Sad news indeed.
Kosmischeboy
Kosmischeboy
664 posts

Jul 29, 2014, 00:07
Sad news indeed.

In his later years he lived up near us in Worksop. He was still a bit of a legend.

Sad he didn't get to see the carter gigs later this year. But awesome that fans have donated enough money to give him a fine send off in less than 24hrs. (£5000 was the target, its there already.) Goes to show how much he was loved as a character.

Farewell you fat bastard.
Incoming Traveller
Incoming Traveller
218 posts

Jul 30, 2014, 10:32
Some inevitably grim details, but very heart warming to hear that the funeral costs were raised by Carter fans, and raised so quickly.

Jon Beast refused to buy one of my fanzines once, but on another occasion let me get into a gig (can't remember who was playing) for a quid, I think.

KC – I didn’t see Anonymous Bosch play but I gather you released a single. Impressive!
Unsung Forum Index