songs that channel syd barrett's pink floyd era

Pages: 3 – [ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ]
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
Sin Agog
Sin Agog
2253 posts

Re: songs that channel syd barrett's pink floyd era
Jul 26, 2014, 19:55
In terms of Robyn Hitchcock-style indebtedness, Paul Roland often really reminds me of him. Though he gravitated more to baroque touches than untamed psyche, they both have quite similar timbres and seem mildly obsessed with Edwardian quaintness and children's ephemera. Demon In A Glass Case.

I mentioned this the other day, but my favourite contemporaneous imitation of Syd Floyd was Halfnelson/Sparks (Jane Church/The Factory).

I think schizophrenia- and perhaps moments of mental collapse from which you later recover- tends to affect creative expression in a very direct and palpable way, musically especially. You can hear that off-kilter, discordant quality in many of the great Outsider acts, from Wild Man Fischer to Lucia Pamela and Daniel Johnston, and immediately relate them to Syd. The word Outsider isn't doled-out to these guyze without justification; every note of their creative outpourings smacks of someone looking at the world from the wrong side of the window. And frankly, give me that over the comfortably numb and feckless middle-class malaise of later Floyd every time.
Maldoror
Maldoror
720 posts

Jul 26, 2014, 21:37
The Social Deviants, a kind of protopunk take on psychedelia:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1k78IbJkfuI
Stevo
Stevo
6664 posts

Jul 26, 2014, 22:51
I'm still waiting with fingers crossed for the psychedelic era Immersion set. Hoping it might mean that a lot of the wilder studio stuff from the era finally gets officially released in good sound.

People over at Trader's Den have been torrenting loads of Floyd over the last few months including compilations of Syd era and solo Syd. some very interesting stuff in there.

Trying to think of other things that have the same feel
was just thinking of Black Sun Ensemble but not sure how close that is. Lambent Flame and both of the s/ts are great anyway.

Not sure exactly which aspect you were after the pop meets tripped out?
Jennifer Gentle at the time of the material compiled on Ectoplasmic Garden Party were pretty great, an Italian band with a name taken from the lyrics to Lucifer Sam.
Some of the material on Cardinal fuzz reminds me of his influence too, especially the South American stuff I think.

I really like Ant-Bee's Pure Electric Honey for tripped-out melodic tweeness too.

Stevo
espsummer
340 posts

Edited Jul 27, 2014, 05:22
Jul 27, 2014, 05:21
Funny i don't know what exactly i mean either. Its more of a feeling. There is a certain keyed up but childlike nature to the Piper period that seems to be steam rolling forward rather than coming across like the syd barrett solo material (which seems like the crash landing). I suppose the 13th floor elevators fit the bill too as they seemed genuinely out there.

Man i would love an Immersion set of the first 3 to 4 albums. I would buy the top dollar sets if they did that. By the way that anniversary box they did for Piper at the Gates of Dawn a few years ago with the extra tracks was done really well including great sound quality.
thispoison
thispoison
253 posts

Edited Jul 28, 2014, 10:52
Jul 28, 2014, 10:45
Syd-like with an Australian 'accent'. (New comp cd on the Japanese EM records. Amazon Z-Sellers seem to have the best prices.):

Pip Proud "Adreneline And Richard"

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=_f-VSc0PmWA
Andfurthermoreagain
Andfurthermoreagain
696 posts

Jul 28, 2014, 12:40
fat_fleet wrote:
The Dukes of Stratosphear records are pretty close, though more to the entire band than Syd particularly.

I agree, Bike Ride To The Moon is Syd-like in concept and vocals but (according to Andy) set to a Move style rhythm and melody. I guess Have You Seen Jackie from Psonic Psunspots is the nearest overall (and in the vein of Scream Thy Last Scream with it's varispeeded vocals and wah-organ).
Also from the 80s check out Edward The Bear by the Damned (b-side of Grimly Fiendish) and 49 Cigars by Nick Nicely (which to me is actually more Barrettesque than Hilly Fields) - especially the vocal during the chorus/refrain "under garage skies, see me cry".
Andfurthermoreagain
Andfurthermoreagain
696 posts

Jul 28, 2014, 12:46
Graham Coxon is a massive Syd fan and this came through quite noticeably on a few pre-Britpop era Blur tunes particularly Badgeman Brown which is almost Syd doing the Pretties' Defecting Grey. Also check out 'Mr Briggs', one of the b-sides of There's No Other Way (itself a sort of 'baggy' Syd homage).
Lots and lots of little Syd and particularly Julian Cope influences across that whole early period (particularly b-sides).
soap bar
2 posts

Jul 28, 2014, 20:27
I always thought Lone Pigeon/Gordon Anderson had/has the closest link to my main man Barrett with the fragility of mind and the nose for a good tune.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AbYE-YSJ2Cg
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LPVrPu8JFRw
thesweetcheat
thesweetcheat
6218 posts

Jul 28, 2014, 20:34
"Birthday" off Leisure always seemed a bit Syd-ish to me.
Andfurthermoreagain
Andfurthermoreagain
696 posts

Edited Jul 29, 2014, 08:58
Jul 29, 2014, 08:52
I often thought that Kevin Ayers carried on (in some ways) the more idiosyncratic, melodic elements of Barrett into the 70s. In answer to a big musical 'what if', i consider that Kevin Ayers early solo stuff is a good indication of how Syd Barrett may have progressed had he still left the Floyd but continued creatively as a musician and with a healthier state of mind.
Pages: 3 – [ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ] Add a reply to this topic

Unsung Forum Index