1001realapes
2389 posts

Edited Jun 15, 2014, 04:48
Soundtracks of Our Lives week ending 15 June 2014 CE
Jun 15, 2014, 01:25
The Monkees - st

The Monkees - More of The Monkees

The Monkees - Headquarters

The Monkees - Pisces, Aquarius, Capricorn & Jones Ltd.

The Monkees - Missing Links Volume Two

The Monkees - Missing Links Volume Three

The Lilac Time - st

Jake Bugg - Shangri La

Port Said - Eve of Departure

The Plastic Cloud - st

Opeth - Heritage

The Moody Blues - Days of Future Passed (disc 2)

Mars Bonfire - st

Módulo 1000 - Nao Fale Com Paredes

Melanie - Stoneground Words

High Wolf - Shangri LA

High Wolf - Supermodern Temple

Gene Clarke - White Light

Ace - Five-A-Side

Flower Travellin' Band - Made in Japan

Flower Travellin' Band - Make Up

XTC - Oranges & Lemons

Genesis - And The Word Was....

David Bowie - Low

Kate Bush - Hounds of Love

Howlin' Wolf - Change My Way

V.A. - No Jive Authentic Southern Country Blues

MC5 - Early Singles

The Residents Present Charles Bobuck - Maxine / Coochie Break Suite
Beebon
1375 posts

Re: Soundtracks of Our Lives week ending 15 June 2014 CE
Jun 15, 2014, 07:48
Porcupine Tree - Voyage 34
Steve Wilson - The Raven Who Refused To Sing
Moody Blues - On The Threshold Of A Dream

Pink Floyd - Ummagumma (Live Disc)
Pink Floyd - Wish You Were Here
Pink Floyd - Meddle
Pink Floyd - Soundtrack to More
Pink Floyd - Dark Side Of The Moon

(Bit of a surrprise really, a couple of weeks back I picked up a cd copy of DSOTM at a car boot sale for £2. It is an album I listened to death when I was 15-18 and I believed one which I would never be able to listen to again. Hearing it for the first time in well over 10 years absolutely blew me away and I fell in love with it again)

Massive Attack - Protection

Van Der Graaf Generator - Present
Van Der Graaf Generator - The Least We Can Do Is Wave To Each Other
Fripp & Eno - No Pussyfooting
Spirit - The Twelve Dreams of Dr Sardonicus
Mahavishnu Orchestra - Apocalypse
Mahavishnu Orchestra - Visions of the Emerald Beyond
Experiments In Silence - Hidden Harmonic
Neil Young - American Stars & Bars
The Jimi Hendrix Experience - Are You experienced?
Neil Young - On The Beach
The Byrds - Sweetheart Of The Rodeo
garerama
garerama
1118 posts

Jun 15, 2014, 08:13
The All Seeing I - Pickled Eggs & Sherbet

Amorphous Androgynous - The Isness

The Apostles - Manifesto / Propaganda

The Beach Boys - The Smile Sessions

Brain Donor - Wasted Fuzz Excessive

The Byrds - Box set disc 2 - 4

Julian Cope - Revolutionary Suicide

The Creation - Our Music Is Red ... With Purple Flashes

The Doors - Weird Scenes Inside The Goldmine

Equipe 84 - Cuore Beat

Espers - S/t / Weed Tree

Fairport Convention - S/t

Bill Fay - S/t

Faust - IV

Flower Pot Men - Listen To The Flowers Grow

Golden Dawn - Power Plant

The Leaves - All The Good That's Happening

Loop Guru - Amrita

The Mamas & The Papas - Gold

The Memory Band - Oh My Days

Midlake - Antiphon

Pretty Things - S.F Sorrow

The Residents - Meet The Residents

Sandy Salisbury - Sandy

Sandy Shaw - Reviewing The Situation

The Smoke - S/t

Spacemen 3 - Sound of Confusion / The Perfect Prescription

The Stranglers - Rattus Norvegicus

Taken By Trees - East of Eden

Transglobal Underground - Back Packing On The Graves Of Our Ancestors

Jane Weaver - The Fallen By Watch Bird

XTC - Coat of Many Cupboards (disc 3)

The Zombies - Odessey & Oracle / RIP

V/A

Book A Trip 2 - More Psych Pop Sounds of Capital Records

The Electric Asylum Vol 2: British Psychedelic Freakrock Rarities

Electric Sound Show Vol 2: In King Solomon's Mind

Fairy Tales Can Come True Vol 2: Fairy Cakes For Tea

Finders Keepers (Fat Cat)

Get Smarter: 60's Instrumental Grooves From Around The Globe

Mindexpanders Vol 3

Rough Guide to Psychedelic Brazil

Weird Lore: Notes From The Folk Underground
flashbackcaruso
1058 posts

Jun 15, 2014, 09:35
The Zombies - Odessey & Oracle

Pink Floyd - Atom Heart Mother

Genesis - Wind & Wuthering

Peter Gabriel - Peter Gabriel 1

Can - Rite Time

Mike Oldfield - Amarok
Mike Oldfield - The Songs Of Distant Earth (hadn't really listened to his albums from this era. Was quite impressed by Amarok - a definite sequel to Ommadawn with lots of interesting details, but Songs Of Distant Earth was a disappointing wash of New Age clichés)

Cosmic Jokers - Sci Fi Party

Jan & Dean - Carnival Of Sound

Amon Düül II - Carnival In Babylon

Robin Lent - Scarecrow's Journey (knew nothing about this album but thought it looked worth trying for £3 from a car boot sale. Turns out to be yet another corking lost folk gem, with great accompaniment from none other than Thijs Van Leer and Jan Akkerman of Focus!)
Fitter Stoke
Fitter Stoke
2614 posts

Edited Jun 15, 2014, 11:34
Jun 15, 2014, 11:33
Sandy Denny 'Sandy'
Michael Chapman 'Fully Qualified Survivor'
Peter Hammill 'The Silent Corner And The Empty Stage'
The Rolling Stones 'Between The Buttons'
Dr Feelgood 'Down By The Jetty'
Cabaret Voltaire 'Mix-Up'
Steve Winwood 'Talking Back To The Night'
Kiss 'Hotter Than Hell'
Napalm Death 'Scum'
Miroslav Vitous 'Universal Syncopations'
Art Ensemble Of Chicago 'The Third Decade'
Berwald: Sinfonie Singuliere (Gothenburg SO/Neeme Jarvi)
CPE Bach: Organ Sonatas (Ton Koopman)
Schubert: Piano Sonata D960 and Schumann: Kinderzenen (Annie Fischer)
Incoming Traveller
Incoming Traveller
218 posts

Jun 15, 2014, 12:52
I've listened to three whole different albums this week! (instead of the usual one in a loop):

Abba: The Visitors

Coil: ...And The Ambulance Died In His Arms

Savages: Silence Yourself
Stevo
Stevo
6664 posts

Edited Jun 15, 2014, 19:55
Jun 15, 2014, 12:52
Buffalo Springfield the box set disc with the 2 lps on.
This has been sitting at the bottom of a box since I moved into this flat several years ago until I had to tidy up for a landlord inspection. Great find and definitely something I should be far more familiar with.
There seem to be a lot of semi off-kilter elements in the sound. Guitars playing at tempos that other bands wouldn't have tried to incorporate and things. Gives things a really psychedelic edge. Also interesting to hear influences from soul & jazz etc when I think the main non standard influence was thought of as country.
But great great music of its time. & needs to be heard as do the live sets that appeared in the wake of the box set but should have been included.
not listened through the box set in ages so not sure about duplication of material but I do think there was a lot of talk of misused space and lack of inclusion of things like the long take on Bluebird.
Those live sets are pretty jawdropping in places including a 12 minute Bluebird with a great guitar duel. Yum yum.

Ann Peebles complete Hi Recordings vol 1 disc 2
This is the lps Straight From the Heart and I Can't Stand The Rain plus bonus. Great funky southern soul including a great version of Bobby Bland's I Pity the Fool a song that I originally heard in the mid 60s David Bowie version which keeps coming to mind, not sure where that mod stuff he recorded can be found. Also the title track of I Can't stand the Rain is very memorable, has what might be a bit of a gimmicky motif in other hands but just sounds classic by Peebles as does I'm Going TO tear Your Play House down and most of the rest of this cd.
I had the 1st disc on before this which has been on my 3-changer all week and that starts with what sounds like an uncanny impression of Smokey Robinson which is pretty surprising since I thought Peebles was pretty much her own singer.

Jack Ruby Hit & Run
Compilation of unreleased mid 70s recordings by a proto No Wave band that were active live at the same time that Television were making their name on pretty much the same NYC scene. This has some great rock riffing that sounds very Detroit-y but seems to have several different things happening at the same time which may be why it had the No Wave connections.
Think this may be a bit of an acquired taste but it does have some great moments. Lovely dunt.
Haven't heard the 2nd electronic based disc yet. Must do soon.

Anthroprophh
LOng soundscapes that is pretty krautrocky. Must hear the lp.
THis is the band that is an offshoot of the Heads as I guess most of you will know. There is some electric guitar noise but it's more atmospheric and less in your face than The Heads' dunt. Pretty great anyway.
I see that the tracks here are present on the band's lp in versions about 1/3 as long.
Need to hear that lp.

Krautrock Music For Your Brain
Massive amount of various artists krautrock including some stuff I hadn't heard before. Hadn't realised that there was so much on/of these sets, 5 different volumes, each of 6 discs.
Mostly pretty good though it does go later than I probably would have. Also not strictly German including the normal Swiss etc related stuff to some degree.
Been listening to about a disc a day recently.

Larry Coryell Spaces
I'm just reading Bathing In Lightning the Colin Harper John Mclaughlin bio which is pretty great. I've got as far as reading about this which coincides pretty much exactly with Mclaughlin's introduction to Sri Chimnoy which actually stemmed from him being present at this session I think since it came out of another attendee of the session inviting him to come along when they drove up to see the Guru.
Anyway great lp with Coryell and Mclaughlin as the frontline on a set that touches on bebop and things that might later be thought of as fusion. Would love to hear the tracks that Harper talks about being recorded on the first day and were thought too far out for inclusion on the released lp

Lots of Sun Ra
it would have been Herman Blount's 100th birthday some days ago which means that people have been upping a lot of live sets in celebration.

Lots of other stuff which I'll probably think of later.

Watching
X-Men days Of Future Past.
OK return to the good bits of the franchise which I haven't really thought a great deal of since II. Though the 2nd Wolverine was pretty decent.
Anyway, enjoyable film though not the greatest ever.

Orange is the new Black
started watching the 2nd season. Was interested to see that everything was released at the same time, I guess they know their audience who tend to watch series in a non 1 episode per week manner.
Been enjoying this programme at least the first series which I watched some months ago.

Reading
Bathing In Lightning Colin Harper
Harper's usual standard of writing which is pretty good. Unfortunately doesn't look like he had access to interviewing Mclaughlin though he's quoting some old ones. He has interviewed several contemporaries of him from the 60s etc.
This gives a good background on the scenes Mclaughlin passed through in the same manner as Harper's Dazzling Stranger did with Bert Jansch and the Edinburgh and London folk scenes.
I've wondered what the story was with Mclaughlin in the 60s since hearing he had connections to Graham Bond and Brian Auger before either recorded. He was also with the Night-Timers in both Ronnie Jones and Herbie Goins eras, Duffy Power and doing a lot of session playing though stuck as a rhythm player.
I'd recommend this book to anybody interested in Mclaughlin. Must read some of the other books on him too.

Stephen Donaldson The Chronicles of Thomas Covenant the Unbeliever Omnibus
picked this up as part of a 4 books for €1.50 deal in a charity shop and finding it very readable. I started reading the book I'm currently reading 24 years ago when I was in Belfast and didn't get very far. So hoping i get further.
May be buying too many books from charity shops again. Wish I'd got the bookshelf I was looking at when the landlord wanted to do the inspection. Thought she might try announcing that I needed to clear my corridor for whatever facetious reason so put it off and now the unit's been discontinued.

OPtical Sounds
latest edition which came out last month but I only got this week. Got the usual psychedelic/drone stuff covered ad very readable. Recommended.

Other than that been taking way too long to upcycle a pair of curtains into a western style frockcoat which has come out looking very nice but needs finishing. Needs hemming, seam finishing and possibly seam redoing since I had trouble with machine tension.
Also did the body of a cavalry shirt which still needs a bib front added.
Next project is designing a pair of jeans from a basic outline in a pattern cutting book I have since the pair I cut a month or so back has too large a waistband which is pretty baggy.

Stevo
riverman
riverman
845 posts

Jun 15, 2014, 13:30
Must be the smallest range of albums I've listened to in a week in ages!

Ambarchi, O'Malley and Dunn - Shade themes from Kairos: This grows and grows on me. Seems to touch me more emotionally on each new listen and more and more emerges. And as I've said in previous weeks - a stunning gatefold.

Datashock - Keine Oase in Sicht. Has worked v well on my morning commute this week (80 mins - more or less the length of the album!). Perfect for warm, sunny early mornings.

Ai Aso - Alone. Sparse and beautiful.

And that would have been it but Aluk Todolo's Finsternis arrived on Saturday. I'd ordered it from them late April but they'd forgotten to send it! So it was like getting a free new album... and there was a nice apologetic note. Loving this - it's somewhere in the venn diagram where ritual, black metal and krautrock meet I suppose.
Robot Emperor
Robot Emperor
762 posts

Edited Jun 15, 2014, 14:22
Jun 15, 2014, 14:17
Bitch Magnet – Umber.
Blind Idiot God – s/t.
Breaking Circus – The Ice Machine.
Chrome – Half Machine From The Sun.
King Crimson – USA.
Motorpsycho – Behind the Sun.
Hedvig Mollestad – Enfant Terrible.
Legion of Two – Riffs.
Nice Strong Arm – Reality bath.
Silo – Work.
Smoke Fairies – s/t.
Squirrel Bait – s/t.
Various – Wayfaring Strangers.
Various – Wailing Ultimate, Human Music.
Stian Westerhaus & Pale Horses – Maelstrom.

Spent 4 hours yesterday refereeing under 11’s football in a knockout competition. This after getting home from work at 3am, getting up at 8am and steering my own under 8’s to 4th place in their own knockout competition (out of 12 mind - they ain't shit) . Forgive me if I add colour to the above later. I’m knackered.
Moon Cat
9577 posts

Jun 15, 2014, 14:36
Rannoch - Between Two Worlds
Rainbow - Difficult to Cure
Bat For Lashes - The Haunted Man
The Phantom Band - Strange Friend
Tuung - Good Arrow
Kula Shaker - K
Band of Skulls - Himalayan
Provincials - Muhzik. Out now as they say.

White Bone Rattle - Earwig (mini album) I really enjoyed their debut, "Creature of Curiosity", being a fine slice of 70's style psyche tinged rock, with nods to stuff like Wishbone Ash, so I was pleased to see something new on their bandcamp site. This is in a similar vein with slightly more emphasis on a garagey, psyche vibe. Available as a pay what you like download.

Orchestra of Spheres - Nonagonic Now
Alphonse Murzon - Mind Transplant. Fusiontastic!
Manic Street Preachers - Postcards from a Young Man
Damon Albarn & Friends - Mali Music
Sudden Death of Stars - All Unrevealed Parts of the Unknown.

Have nice week x
Pages: 3 – [ 1 2 3 | Next ] Add a reply to this topic

Unsung Forum Index