Soundtracks of Our Lives w/e ending 20 April 2014
Apr 20, 2014, 10:39
Amorphous Androgynous - The Isness

Animal Collective - Centipede HZ

Caedmon - S/t

Clear Light - S/t

Crass - Ten Notes On A Summer's Day: Swansong

The Doors - Morrison Hotel

Genesis - In The Beginning (not The prog band but a late 60s West Coast heavy psych band)

Heaven & Earth - Refugee

July - S/t

Joni Mitchell - For The Roses

Van Morrison - Moondance

Nirvana (UK 60s band) - The Story Of Simon Simopath

Os Mutantes - Mutantes

Palace Music - Viva Last Blues

The Parade - Sunshine Girl

Pink Floyd - Atom Heart Mother

Max Romeo & The Upsetters - War Ina Babylon

Six Organs Of Admittance - Ascent

Spacemen 3 - The Perfect Prescription

Talk Talk - Spirit Of Eden

Avey Tare's Slasher Flicks - S/t

Vetiver - Thing Of The Past

The Zombies - Odessey & Oracle

V/A

Next Stop ... Soweto Vol 2 - Soultown, R & B, Funk and Psych Sounds From The Township 1969-76

Roaring Blue

Have a good week everyone!
flashbackcaruso
1056 posts

Re: Soundtracks of Our Lives w/e ending 20 April 2014
Apr 20, 2014, 12:23
Michael Chapman - Fully Qualified Survivor

Neu! - Neu! 75

Tim Hardin - Suite For Susan Moore And Damion: We Are One, One, All In One

Thompson Twins - A Product Of...

Genesis - Spot The Pigeon/3 x 3 EPs

Kraftwerk - The Mix

Sparks - Exotic Creatures Of The Deep
Sparks - The Seduction Of Ingmar Bergman

Jesus Christ Superstar (original 1970 2LP with Ian Gillan etc.) - This is such an incredible LP, it is almost a cause for regret that it became such a phenomenon, and thus spawned so many inferior, overly theatrical recordings. Listened to a bit of the current touring version with Tim Minchin as Judas, and didn't think it was possible to muff up such a gift of a song as 'Heaven On Their Minds', but playing the opening riff on slap bass is certainly one way of ruining it. Those original session musicians, selected from the cream of the prog rock scene, really knew what they were doing.

People - Ceremony: Buddha Meet Rock

Popol Vuh - In Den Gärten Pharaos
Popol Vuh - Hosianna Mantra

Sergius Golowin - Lord Krishna Von Goloka

The Beatles - Abbey Road

Kluster - Klopfzeichen

Apryl Fool - The Apryl Fool
Beebon
1375 posts

Apr 20, 2014, 12:41
Over the past week: -

The Higher Intelligence Agency & Biosphere - Birmingham Frequencies (great late night ambient listening)
Banco de Gaia - Last Train to Lhasa
System 7 - Power of Seven

Carlos Santana & John McLaughlin - Love Devotion Surrender
John Coltrane - A Love Supreme

Selda Ba?can - Selda (stunning!)

Michael Rother - Flammende Herzen (first time I had heard this in years, it's nice!)
Universal Panzies - Transcendental Floss
Amon Duul II - Wolf City

Celeste - Principe di un Giorno (quickly becoming a favourite of mine, I'm starting to really dig Italian prog!)
Harmonium - Si on avait besoin d'une cinquième Saison (wow, this is utterly fantastic, so beautiful!)
Premiata Forneria Marconi - Per un Amico

Status Quo - Piledriver
Bob Dylan & The Band - The Basement Tapes
Funkadelic - Funkadelic
The Incredible String Band - Wee Tam
The Incredible String Band - The Incredible String Band
Grateful Dead - Workingman's Dead

Boards of Canada - Tomorrrow's Harvest
jb lamptoast-morsley
jb lamptoast-morsley
2447 posts

Apr 20, 2014, 13:43
The Herbaliser - Remedies
The Horrors - Skying
Matthew Herbert - Scales
David Holmes Presents the Free Association, Oceans 12 s/t
The Jesus & the Mary Chain - Stoned and Dethroned
Junior Boys - So this is Goodbye
Blanche - Amber Bottles, If we can't trust the Doctors
The Headhunters - Survival of the Fittest
Melt Yourself Down - S/T
Jon Hopkins - Immunity
Plank! - S/T Ep
Maurice Ravel - Daphne et Chloe
Anna Meredith - Jet Black Raider EP
thesweetcheat
thesweetcheat
6213 posts

Apr 20, 2014, 19:53
Much of this week's listening has been stuck in the early 1970s:

The Velvet Underground - Loaded
The Stooges - Fun House
David Bowie - The Man Who Sold The World
David Bowie - The Rise and Fall of Ziggy Stardust & The Spiders From Mars
David Bowie - Aladdin Sane
The Stooges - Raw Power (original mix)
Fripp & Eno - No Pussyfooting

Otherwise:

Elvis Costello & The Attractions - This Year's Model

Crispy Ambulance - Live On A Hot August Night
Crispy Ambulance - The Plateau Phase

Elvis Costello & The Attractions - Brutal Youth
The Durutti Column - Sex and Death

Crispy Ambulance - Powder Blind Dream

Section 25 - Dark Light

Live:

Fabulous Factory Night in Manchester last night, three excellent performances from Minny Pops, Crispy Ambulance and Section 25. Great to meet up with Mr Clarkson too :)
Fatalist
Fatalist
1123 posts

Apr 20, 2014, 20:43
The Skull Defekts – Dances in Dreams of the Known Unknown. All things considered, this is pretty stonking, if not quite as good as Peer Amid.

The Advisory Circle/Stratus – As the Crow Flies. Ha, so what happens on your iPod when you’ve got two albums with the same title by two different bands? Why, it all gets mushed together of course. Both are excellent – Advisory Circle is in prime folktronic Ghost Box territory, Stratus is pretty much a straight blend of Air and Kraftwerk (and feature the bloke from Pye Corner Audio). This track from AC was the music behind that last ‘sketch’ of Stewart Lee’s series: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ngnwOHlPuGU And this from Stratus is just sublimely uplifting electronica: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KWI4U3Q9pNQ

School of Language – Old Fears. Still sounding a bit too, ah, ‘measured’ to me (apologies to FM fans for that), but off to see him/them this week anyway.

Montrose – S/T. Robot Emperor was shocked and appalled that I had never heard the first Montrose album, though this is really the least of my sins when it comes to the rock canon in general… It is what it is, and ‘Space Station No. 5’ is very rocking, but I think I still prefer the eclecticism of follow-up Paper Money… https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TOixVZldCww

Bong – Mana-Yood-Sushai. Another prompt from the Emperor, and a good one too, despite (or maybe because of) the Tap-esque vocals.

Stian Westerhus & Pale Horses – Maelstrom. Yeah, starting to get into this now, it’s like if Radiohead had started life as a difficult avant rock outfit and then made an album with some seriously big vocals that nudged towards the accessible (instead of first ripping off the Hollies then, err, doing the same to the early Warp catalogue).

XTC – Skylarking. Got send a promo, so seemed rude not to give them another go. Pleasant, melodic stuff, but the singles aside, I have a feeling I’m never going to be a massive fan.

Death – For the Whole World To See. Fab re-discovered/released for the first time Detroit punk/proto-hardcore sounds from three brothers (by which I mean they were related rather than black): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uAZ9R2t5Jd0 Anybody seen the film?

Hejira – Prayer Before Birth. Three or four great tracks, but it trails off a bit in a miasma of preciousness.

The Space Spectrum – The Red Eyed Queen. Great space rocking stuff, thanks for the tip, Mr Squid.

VA – Warfaring Strangers. Really digging some of the stuff on here, and not just because of the perceived novelty value.

Listen With Father:

Smoke Fairies - Smoke Fairies. This album has now entered my dreams. Must stop listening for a while.

Broadcast - Tender Buttons. This track is bleak yet lovely: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0WVVWXcbBJs&feature=kp

Talk Talk – The Colour of Spring. Some serious interest in this one from the 5 year old, demanding a repeat play of ‘Life’s What You Make It’, which also happens to be the first overtly ‘pop’ single I ever bought (though in retrospect, that’s very relative). Was also lucky enough to see them on this tour, which of course turned out to be their last. ‘Genius’ is a word that’s used with reckless abandon, particularly in the world of music criticism, but Mark Hollis may well be worthy of that attribution, particularly given what came after this (still excellent in its own right) album.

Grandaddy – Under the Western Freeway. Great album, and for a while, really great band, even as they fade from view in music history’s rear mirror.
thesweetcheat
thesweetcheat
6213 posts

Apr 20, 2014, 21:20
Fatalist wrote:
XTC – Skylarking. Got send a promo, so seemed rude not to give them another go. Pleasant, melodic stuff, but the singles aside, I have a feeling I’m never going to be a massive fan.

Can't say I'm a huge fan of this period of XTC myself. Might be teaching you to suck eggs, but I'd recommend "Drums and Wires" and "Black Sea" if you want a different entry point. Or this track, which may just be the best thing they ever did:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ErWSYJYKM-Q&feature=kp
Squid Tempest
Squid Tempest
8761 posts

Apr 20, 2014, 21:33
The Steve Miller Band - Sailor

Spirit - The Adventures of Kommander Kopter and Commander Cassidy in Potatoland

Amon Duul II - Yeti

Focus 3

Blue Oyster Cult - Imaginos
Re-introduced to this this last week and by goodness it is sinking in that this is a really interesting and something of a lost classic album.

Lay Llamas - Ostro
Lucky enough to get my hands on an early copy of this, and my goodness it is a gem. I loved the track of theirs from the Crystallized Rocket Recordings comp, and this fully lives up to the promise.

Teeth of the Sea - Field in England Re-Imagined
Haven't been able to listen to this in enough detail yet, but loving what I've heard so far.

Lantern - Rock n Roll Rorschach
This sounded brilliant in the sunshine yesterday afternoon.

Mastodon - Live at the Aragon
Raaaaah! RSD special from the olden days.
Fatalist
Fatalist
1123 posts

Apr 20, 2014, 22:41
thesweetcheat wrote:
Fatalist wrote:

Can't say I'm a huge fan of this period of XTC myself. Might be teaching you to suck eggs, but I'd recommend "Drums and Wires" and "Black Sea" if you want a different entry point. Or this track, which may just be the best thing they ever did:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ErWSYJYKM-Q&feature=kp

Hmmm, that is rather good, sounds like it might have been an influence on These New Puritans...
keith a
9573 posts

Apr 20, 2014, 23:33
LP's
Sefronia – Tim Buckley

Sun – Cat Power

Visitations – Clinic

Q: Are We Not Men?... / Devo Live – Devo

Blood On The Tracks – Bob Dylan

The Best Of... - The Impressions Featuring Curtis Mayfield

Blues Funeral - Mark Lanegan Band