29 messages
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
Fitter Stoke
Fitter Stoke
2609 posts

Edited Apr 19, 2014, 20:47
Re: Record Store Day - update
Apr 19, 2014, 16:28
I see that RSD isn't even over yet and some greedy bastards are already asking over £50 on eBay for the Paul Weller 45. I don't care what anyone says about RSD helping independent shops, there's something dreadfully unsound about the whole grasping concept as far as I'm concerned. It needs some serious rethinking, maybe along the same lines as football clubs use to ensure only genuine supporters get tickets for plumb away games, i.e. only regular customers get to buy limited editions.

As it stands, Record Store Day sucks. I ignored the whole sodding farce today and bought something I really wanted from a well known high street shop instead. And I'll be playing it for musical pleasure, not selling the fucker for profit as soon as I can find a computer to access eBay.

RSD "exclusives" seem to share the same fate as Star Wars blister packed toys and boxed Dinky cars - in other words, items that are meant for pleasure but only get collected rather than enjoyed. How tragic is that? And is that really the intention by the creative artists concerned? Did Paul Weller really record his latest 45 with the aim of making 350 people richer? I bloody hope not. Either way, it's already pretty damned obvious that not all of the purchasers of his record are Weller fans. Wouldn't it be great if Virgin mass-released it after all at normal price, thus thwarting the RSD touts?

(I've just clocked Davey B's separate thread that makes a similar point. More fool the daft bastards who line the greedy profiteers' pockets.)
Topic Outline:

Unsung Forum Index