Soundtracks of Our Lives week ending 9 March 2014 CE

26 messages
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
Monganaut
Monganaut
2382 posts

Re: Soundtracks of Our Lives week ending 9 March 2014 CE
Mar 09, 2014, 23:35
Well I fibbed when I said I was gonna peruse Copes back catalogue after final Druidon, [sniff :( maybe next week].

This week has been...

Gruff Rhys - Candylion
Found in Cancer Research for a pound. Bargain! Played t about a dozen ties already. Feckin' amazing effort from messer Rhys, esp love the uber catchy Gyrru Gyrru Gyrru (S'Welsh for Driving apparently) and 14 minute homage to the sci-fi needle at the Festival of Britain that was Skylon. Hotel Shampoo any good? cos' it's going on the list regardless.

Appliance - Imperial Metric
I've managed to overlook this belter of a record for years in favour of the more motorik and accessible 'Are You Earthed?. Been sitting gathering dust pretty much since I bought it when it came out. Maybe cos' it has a slightly more downbeat, introverted nature compared to it's favoured twin. Now gladly remedied, as I've been playing it to death, s'great!

Bill Callahan - Have Fun With God (In Dub)
Kinda works. His voice lends itself well to this kinda quasi dub vibe. Not everything is great, 'bout 80% successful.

Stranglers - The Raven/ La Folie
Was looking for Feline, but all I could find in the shelves was this twofer CD edition. Enjoyed The Raven (first two tracks would fit nicely with the cracking Vikings series showing on History/Lovefilm). Don't think I'd ever heard La Folie all the way through (except for the outstanding single Golden Brown). Overall impression. First few tracks were OK, then it all went a bit meh! Need to find Feline, Much prefer it.

Magazine - Play / Live and Intermittent
Remember buying 'Intermittent' at the Manchester gig several years ago. Played it once, then thought I'd got stung. Listening back t'other night, once the first few ropey recordings were over, it got mighty fine! inna lofi bootleg stylee. A pal of mine said that the remastered play (the 2 disc edition) had lost the 'audiency/live' feel of the original version, so thought I's put it to the test, and blow me if he ain't right. Some tracks seem to be edited for audience'reaction, can't remember which song off the top of my head, but it's a good coupla minutes shorter.

Simian Mobile Disco - Attack Sustain Decay Release RMX
Dunno why I have this, think a friend said I ought to like them, he seemed to think as I liked Tarwater and Stereolab, these fell somewhere in between. WRONG!. This seems to me like generic house music on the whole. Yes, I know this is a remix album etc (Chrome Hoof and Oscillation mixes seem OK), but it's all a bit by the numbers for me. Stuff I've heard on you tube doesn't sound that different either. Never mind...off to the charity shop with it

Was reading on 'fan' board about the latest bunch of Stones remasters.
Was gonna re-buy sticky fingers as a birthday gift to myself (47 years old today folks if anyones bothered) as I thought my old Virgin remaster was getting a little battered. Turns out, popular opinion says that sound quality in terms of how the Stones wanted to album to sound lies with the version I have. Supposedly it's better than the newer tweek in sounding closer to original vinyl. Guess it's off to computer exchange to get the disc polished instead then, just so it stops bloody skipping on the odd track.

Fever Ray - Memories from When I Grew Up (Subliminal Kid Remix)
Still loving this 20 odd minute slo mo creepy epic.

That's about it. Keep well and enjoy the fine weather whilst it lasts.
Topic Outline:

Unsung Forum Index