Soundtracks of Our Lives week ending 9 March 2014 CE

26 messages
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
riverman
riverman
845 posts

Re: Soundtracks of Our Lives week ending 9 March 2014 CE
Mar 09, 2014, 19:08
Robert Martin - Long Goodbye. Vinyl I bought from the HH Merchaniser for £5 though had no idea what it was other than a lo-fi recording from 1985. It is indeed lo-fi, bedroom multi-tracked tape recordings complete with tape button clicks and a Beefheart China Pig feel. And it's lovely - a kind of dark folk. Did some research and it turns out this is a release on a Tim Green (Comets, Six Organs etc producer) label. Robert worked in a thrift shop with Ethan Miller and Ben Flashman in the early 2000s - when they found out he played guitar they asked him if they could hear his stuff, and were knocked out by it. Ethan released it first as a limited cd-r then this vinyl version came out.

Well, Cope's music writing in the drudions has been a constant source of great listening so I've investigated a couple of his final recommendations. Get over to bandcamp for the name your price albums of ZX Electric...

ZX Electric: Obsolete and Fixed Unknown. I slightly prefer the latter. Lovely short post-punk guitar/synth songs sang in a voice that at times remind me of The Goner.

Scott Miller/Lee Campfield/Merzbow: No Closure. Two 20 minute pieces that edit together shorter soundscapes but Merzbow's electronic maelstrom binds everything together - the other two mainly provide catchy bass lines, guitar riffs or ambient drones.

Steve Noble and Stephen O'Malley: St Francis Duo. Live improv from Cafe Oto
New Bums: Voices in a rented room. Acoustic duet with whispered vocals, Ben Chasny.
Troum and Yen Pox - Mnemonic Induction. From Cope's penultimate drudion but I'm still listening, it's marvelous electronic music.

Cope - Woden and Revolutionary Suicide
Topic Outline:

Unsung Forum Index