Soundtracks of Our Lives week ending 8 September 2013 CE

28 messages
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
riverman
riverman
845 posts

Re: Soundtracks of Our Lives week ending 8 September 2013 CE
Sep 08, 2013, 09:56
First quiet weekend and therefore soundtracks post for a while!

Dead Sea Apes & Black Tempest - The sun behind the sun. Like others have said, v good. More emerges on each listen too. Ordered the new Black Tempest so looking forward to that!

Afrirampo - We are uchu no ko. Loving this - pure joy. Japanese female duo (guitar and drums, both on vocals, duets, call-response etc) giving it 110% all the way through in a strange post-punk free rock hybrid going into beautiful tunes at times. Always on the edge and seem to be loving every moment - it's pretty infectious stuff.

The Skull Defekts - The Temple. Been playing this for a few weeks now. Really enjoying it.

Causa Sui - Euporie Tide. Some great moments on this.

Gunslingers - Massacre-Rock Deviant Inquisitors. Loving this - one-sided white vinyl, excellent quality. One-take recording, 4-track, analog, tape... sounds fantastic. Not unlike Afrirampo in attitude i.e. giving it all, on the edge.

Mainliner - Revelation Space. Heavy guitar from Kawabata Makoto, with some great riffs. Like the vocals too - adds to the atmosphere of the record.

And finally, I've been investigating a Berlioz box set I borrowed from my dad. On heavy rotation for the last few weeks has been the epic spiritual choral pieces Requiem and Te Deum, this week I also listened to Faust and Romeo and Juliet. Just brilliant use of the orchestra's sound, with great space in the music too. Pretty violent stuff in places as well. Apparently the first great composer not to have been a talented musician himself - and he saw that as an advantage.
Topic Outline:

Unsung Forum Index