Edited Jun 23, 2013, 10:45
Soundtracks of Our Lives week ending 23 June 2013 CE
Jun 23, 2013, 02:21
The Jam - Sound Affects

The Bugaloos - st

Mady Gula Blue Heaven - st

Mady Gula Blue Heaven - O

Ambrose Slade - Beginnings

The Beatles - Magical Mystery Tour (mono)

The Mothers of Invention - Road Tapes Vol. 1

Rush - Not Fade Away / You Can't Fight It

Rush - st

Country Joe & the Fish - Feel Like I'm Fixin' to Die

Claudio Rocchi-Viaggio

Claudio Rocchi - Suoni Di Frontiera

Paul & Linda McCartney - Ram (mono)

Michael Nesmith - The Prison (vinyl)

Suso Saiz - Hypnotics

Scott Walker - Bish Bosh

Tom Waits - Closing Time

Sonny Boy Williamson - The Essential

Captain Beefheart & His Magic Band - The Legendary A&M Sessions

Captain Beefheart & His Magic Band - Safe as Milk

Miles Davis - Get Up With It

Bruce Gilbert - This Way To The Shivering Man

Elton John - Madman across the Water

Elton John - Captain Fantastic & the Brown Dirt Cowboy

Elton John - Don't Shoot Me I'm Only The Piano Player

Alice Cooper - Love It To Death

Tim Buckley - st (mono)

Tim Buckley - Lorca

Tim Buckley - Once I Was

The Doors - Waiting For The Sun

Bee Gees - 1st (mono)

Riichiro Manabe - Godzilla vs Hedorah OST

Rod Riguez - I'll Slip Away / You'd Like To Admit It

Råd Kjetil Senza Testa - Für Max

Klaus Schulze - Shadowlands (disc 1)

Alio Die & Mathias Grassow - Praha Meditations

Alio Die & Mariolina Zitta - La Sala dei Cristalli

Alio Die & Zeit - Il Giardino Ermeneutico

The Crazy World of Arthur Brown - st

The Brotherhood of Eternal Love

o yuki conjugate - undercurrents in dark water
danny_9317
danny_9317
37 posts

Re: Soundtracks of Our Lives week ending 23 June 2013 CE
Jun 23, 2013, 08:07
Hi all

Howlin' wolf- chess masters series
Aretha franklin- I never love a man & Aretha arrives
Emmylou harris- pieces of the sky & blue Kentucky girl
prince- purple rain
rick wakeman- white rock & criminal record
the standells- dirty water
einsturzende neubaten- alles wieder offen
etta james- chess singles vol. 1
steve reich- music for 18 musicians
steve hillage- rainbow dome musick
millie Jackson- caught up
steely dan- can't buy a thrill
IanB
IanB
6761 posts

Edited Jun 23, 2013, 14:03
Jun 23, 2013, 09:34
Various - Yes Is The Answer
Not an album but an American book of essays that cover the Prog waterfront from The Nice to Guided By Voices via the Canterbury scene, Utopia, Incredible String Band and Be Bop Deluxe. The big four get more more than their fair share of discussion time but there is enough else going on to make this highly readable. Nick Coleman's Futurama piece (one of the few contributions by British writers) is especially worth reading but Margaret Wappler's essay is perhaps the most interesting given that a woman's perspective on this music is so rarely aired. Beth Lisick's piece is good too and perhaps the most writerly. Tom Junod's paen to Genesis, the most moving. The idea that comes up the most in these essays is that of this music having been a refuge from domestic strife, boredom and puberty and that of it acting as doorway for the drug-curious, workshy teenager to a jumble sale of potential influences from literature, cinema, visual arts and classical music. "The greatest gift that Prog can bestow us is the gift of permission. To embrace ideas and their subtexts". Amen to that.

Todd Rundgren - State
More Robyn, Thomas Dolby, Yello and Roger Troutman than Utopia but this is far and away his most interesting and most playable record in I don't know how long. Have had real trouble getting this off the proverbial turntable which is in itself a real rarity these days.

State's main competitor for head space has been ...

Landshapes - Rambutan
The Cocteaus, Sundays and Mazzy Star spring quickly to mind but not in a slavishly nostalgic kind of a way. What's not to like about FX laden Les Paul Ukuleles? My favourite indie-pop album in God knows how long.

Eyes No Eyes - If No One Else Saw It / Flying Machine
Caught them live at Corsica Studios this past week (opening for Landshapes). Interesting and highly musical mix of improv, AR Kane, Velvets, ACR and er .... Shelleyan Orphan with cello, "Dream Pop" guitars and fuzz bass solos. The single isn't wholly representative of what I heard live but would recommend you go see them if your tastes swing in the direction of the world as it was in 1981/4 and before the ossification and commodification of indie.

Peter Gabriel - 1st s/t
Genesis - The Lamb Lies Down
Corvus Corax - Sverker
Womack and Womack - Love Wars

For the next week I suspect that I will only be listening to the 24 hour marathon that is Nine Beet Stretch courtesy of Seb H. A very quick skim through the files yesterday suggests it needs to be on all day every day for the foreseeable.
garerama
garerama
1118 posts

Jun 23, 2013, 09:58
Brain Donor - Wasted Fuzz Excessive
Broadcast - Pendulum E.P / Investigating Witch Cults in the Radio Age (with the Focus Group) / Berberian OST
Can - Soundtracks / Unlimited Edition
Shirley & Dolly Collins - Snapshots
Julian Cope - St. Julian (deluxe) / Revolutionary Suicide
Donovan - Sunshine Superman
Nick Drake - Five Leaves Left / Bryter Layter / Pink Moon / Tanworth-in-Arden / Second Grace
Bob Dylan - Blonde on Blonde
Grateful Dead - From The Mars Hotel
Matching Mole - S/T
Smoke Fairies - Through The Low Light & Trees
Soft Machine - Vol. 1 / Vol. 2 / Third / Fourth / Fifth / Shooting At The Moon / Peel Sessions 1 / Sweet Music
The Specials - S/T / Stereotypical
Traffic - Mr Fantasy
13th Floor Elevators - Psychedelic Sound of ...
Vetiver - Thing of the Past
Roger Waters & Rob Geesen - Music from The Body

Have a good week
Fitter Stoke
Fitter Stoke
2614 posts

Edited Jun 23, 2013, 10:46
Jun 23, 2013, 10:33
Nick Drake 'Bryter Layter' - the sound of a perfect spring Sunday morning. Check out the new 180g vinyl reissue: it's superb;

Gong 'Flying Teapot' - the easiest entry into the weird and disturbing Planet Gong, featuring some fabulously funky bass playing on the title track by the short-staying Francis Moze. Make sure you lift the stylus up before the tortuous final section however. (Hey dudes, take note: someone has quoted from my old Unsung review in the booklet notes for the current Charly reissue, ensuring all time fame and recognition (LOL). Writing a review for the Drude can earn you immortality!);

Ian Macdonald & Michael Giles 'Macdonald and Giles' - from the same fertile period of Island's history as the aforementioned Nick Drake LP comes this underrated gem from two then recently departed Crimson musos. Lovers of 'In the Court of the Crimson King' will appreciate how essential these guys were to the success of that record from this. In fact, I didn't miss Robert Fripp once when playing it;

OM 'Kirikuki' - I know I'm not the only member of the HH throng to dig this terminally unsung Swiss free jazz combo - not to be confused with the 'Conference of the Birds' band, by the way. This, the first of four fine (and sadly very rare) LP's on ECM's more experimental JAPO imprint, rocks like a ladydog for most of its staggering 40 minutes. Imagine a keyboard-less Weather Report on speed and you'll get a partial idea of what they were about. There's a retrospective CD by them available which samples the first two tracks from this, one track each from the second ('Rautionaha' 1976) and third ('OM With Dom Um Romao' 1977), and the entirety of the final one ('Cerberus' 1980). I recommend it wholeheartedly;

Julian Cope 'Black Sheep' - any album named after a brewery is okay by me. Seriously, this remains my favourite late-period Drude album and is the one I return to most after 'Fried'. Tale man, tell me the tale of your life 'cos I'm sure is it a good one, indeed;

Ian Gillan Band' 'Clear Air Turbulence' - one of Gillan's most adventurous and unpredictable career turns: I wonder what he now makes of these jazz rock excursions recorded in the year of vacant prettiness and white riots. Although dated in the extreme, I have to confess that I rather like this. John Gustafson's crawling bass licks make me wanna reach for my battered Precision to emulate them;

Elgar 'The Dream Of Gerontius' in the pioneering Malcolm Sargent recording from 1946: limited mono sound, but a truly inspired and committed performance by all concerned, especially the Huddersfield choir. Wonderful - and what a work! I enjoyed this as the final part of a Sargent evening preceded by Grieg's Lyric Pieces, Beethoven's Fourth Symphony and Britten's 'Young Person's Guide To The Orchestra' - all old mono recordings. It ain't rock and roll, but I like it.

Have a great week, all.

Dave
flashbackcaruso
1058 posts

Jun 23, 2013, 10:51
1001realapes wrote:

How different is this from the remixed CD version? I like the songs but find the production quite soporific. Is the vinyl mix superior enough to justify the cost of buying a copy?
flashbackcaruso
1058 posts

Jun 23, 2013, 10:51
The Zombies - Odessey & Oracle

The Move - Looking On
The Move - Message From The Country

Genesis - Abacab
Genesis - Genesis

Pink Floyd - Obscured By Clouds
Pink Floyd - Dark Side Of The Moon
Pink Floyd - Wembley Wizards

V/A - Return To The Dark Side Of The Moon (Mojo comp)
V/A - We're With The Beatles (Mojo comp)

The Kinks - The Kink Kontroversy
The Kinks - Face To Face

Peter Daltrey & The Asteroid #4 - The Journey

UFO - No Heavy Petting
UFO - Lights Out

The Fiery Furnaces - Blueberry Boat

Amon Düül - Para Dieswärts Düül

Klaus Schulze - Irrlicht
1001realapes
1001realapes
2389 posts

Edited Jun 23, 2013, 10:59
Jun 23, 2013, 10:58
flashbackcaruso wrote:
1001realapes wrote:

How different is this from the remixed CD version? I like the songs but find the production quite soporific. Is the vinyl mix superior enough to justify the cost of buying a copy?

I've not heard the cd version, i've
read in addition to remixing he
added digital strings & such

i'd say grab a nice copy on vinyl
if you can locate one at a good price
flashbackcaruso
1058 posts

Jun 23, 2013, 11:12
Fitter Stoke wrote:

Elgar 'The Dream Of Gerontius' in the pioneering Malcolm Sargent recording from 1946: limited mono sound, but a truly inspired and committed performance by all concerned, especially the Huddersfield choir. Wonderful - and what a work! I enjoyed this as the final part of a Sargent evening preceded by Grieg's Lyric Pieces, Beethoven's Fourth Symphony and Britten's 'Young Person's Guide To The Orchestra' - all old mono recordings. It ain't rock and roll, but I like it.

'The Dream Of Gerontius' is something I'd normally find a bit of a challenge, but a couple of years ago at a car boot sale I found a mint copy of the exact box set the young Spencer Banks is listening to in David Rudkin's eerie Play For Today 'Penda's Fen'. It's the 1972 version conducted by Benjamin Britten and, while not all of it is entirely my cup of tea, I find myself regularly rewarded by some utterly sublime moments. The only disappointment is that it lacks the moment from the TV play where one particularly soaring note is treated by the BBC Radiophonic Workshop so that it reverberates into infinity and beyond. Don't know what Elgar would have thought of this electronic tampering, although his ghost does turn up in the play at one point and whispers the secret of the Enigma Variations into the main character's ear.
ricky nadir
ricky nadir
78 posts

Jun 23, 2013, 12:21
Richard and Linda Thompson - Sunnyvista
Richard Thompson - Mock Tudor
Peter Hammill - Over
World of Twist - Quality Street
Soft Machine - Third
Tomorrow's Gift - Goodbye Future
Roy Budd - Get Carter OST