Head To Head
Register
Unsung Forum »
You Don't Know Me But... (New book: Phish, ICP...)

Topic View: Flat | Threaded
Lawrence
9547 posts

You Don't Know Me But... (New book: Phish, ICP...)
Jun 23, 2013, 01:16
There is a new book that just came out concerning two completely different groups -- Phish and Insane Clown Posse -- and their derided fans. Something on my to-get list for sure. Even if you don't understand the whole ICP/Juggalo thing you might indeed want to read about it. Of course for a recent Juggalo convert like me it's a must-have...

http://www.amazon.com/You-Dont-Know-Like-Misadventures/dp/1451626886/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1370962224&sr=8-1&keywords=%22you+don%27t+know+me+but+you+don%27t+like+me%22
zphage
zphage
3378 posts

Re: You Don't Know Me But... (New book: Phish, ICP...)
Jun 23, 2013, 04:24
Lawrence,

Just curious, what is the allure of being a Juggalo?

What converted you?

Have your feelings changed on rap?

Are you going to the Gathering Aug 7th?
Lawrence
9547 posts

Jun 23, 2013, 16:16
Well I dunno if I can make it to the Gathering for one thing. It's a matter of money...

It was mostly just my friend Sean Beard of Waves Crashing Piano Chords telling me about ICP and being a Juggalo. So he lent me his copy of the Great Milenko and I though it was actually a really good album. And I did know that the Juggalo movement mostly attracted disenfranchised small-town youths. I have noticed Juggalos are shunned by large amounts of people (I know Sean has had a hard time with much of the 'noise' scene at large who scoff at the Juggalo subculture) so I got more into it despite my age. I tend towards the underdog and the world's outcasts anyhow. It reminds me of the cult surrounding the Manic Street Preachers years back actually...

And seeing ICP live recently I got the sense that the important thing about being a Juggalo is the sense of community. Everyone is cool with each other as opposed to seeing any other kind of hip-hop or punk show where you could risk getting into a fight (for example...) It still remains a big thing in North America and hasn't really reached Europe as of yet. Of course it's true ICP may not be the best hip-hop band in America, but the fact that they've survived for so long with such a die-hard fanbase really says something.
zphage
zphage
3378 posts

Jun 23, 2013, 17:00
Cool.Thanks for sharing.

Has it changed the direction of your music?

You now could have a ready made audience?
Lawrence
9547 posts

Edited Jun 23, 2013, 17:15
Jun 23, 2013, 17:10
Well I haven't gone as far as wearing the makeup during my shows -- that's more Sean's thing and I don't want to be seen as a copyist of him. Of course you don't have to wear the grease-paint to be a Juggalo in spirit, really.

Yeah I'd say I've been alot more open to hip-hop these days, not that I was ever against it in general... Have had a great admiration for Tupac Shakur for example, after seeing a good documentary about him that gave him a many-faceted view. Definitely not someone to be typecast as some wannabee-thug or playboy, but a misunderstood icon who sadly got killed in an ironic way...

Of course Sean just does what he does -- his music isn't hip-hop. it's 'noise'. I just talked to another Juggalo friend recently and he was saying people don't get that Sean doesn't do "Juggalo noise" per se, he's a Juggalo that does noise...

I wouldn't mind doing a hip-hop oriented project if I could do it though. I wouldn't know the first thing about it however, and I certainly never tried rapping, but anything is possible at this point...
zphage
zphage
3378 posts

Jun 23, 2013, 17:30
I don't think you would have to rap

you could sound samples

and a prominent funky drum bass line

How are your beat programming skills?
Lawrence
9547 posts

Jun 23, 2013, 18:41
Rudimentary at best. Of course I tend to go for unorthodox rhythms whenever I use a drum machine anyways...
Unsung Forum Index