Re: Soundtracks of Our Lives week ending 9 June 2013 CE
Jun 10, 2013, 10:10
Sonny Rollins- Alfie OST

The Black Angels- Passover

The Cramps- A Date with Elvis

Sparrow and the Workshop- Murderopolis

Ikebana- When You Arrive There

Mike Heron's Reputation- S/T

The Lucid Dreams- Songs of Lies and Deceit. While agreeing to an extent with Popel Vooje's assertion that the amount of current bands mining the Loop / Spacemen 3 fuzz drone thing is getting to be a bit formulaic, this- along with, in my opinion, the Hookworms album- really is one cut above. For one thing, the Lucid Dreams intersperse the feedback drones with Byrds-ish psych folk pop. Not out till August.

White Hills- So You Are... So You'll Be. Another advance download I've been kindly sent; White Hills latest is a belter. Another short, snappy and hard rocking set, but while I personally didn't enjoy Frying on this Rock much at all (I'm not even sure why) this new one pushes all the right buttons.

The Grumbling Fur- Glynnaestra. This is pretty good too, although it starts off better than it ends up. Not that it ever gets bad, but the driving kraut-pop of the first few songs engaged me much more than the drifty psych-folk that it settled into for the second half.

Kingdom of Not- Journey to the Far Side of the Room. Theatrical psych-punk goofy intellectuals from New York, with prominent guest Billy Miller of Cold Sun / Bleib Alien fame. Mastered by Kramer, and it definitely has a Shimmy Disc / Bongwater vibe, plus a dark, Ren & Stimpy sense of humour and something of Pere Ubu (with whom they've also collaborated).

Paul Kantner and Grace Slick- Baron Von Tolobooth and the Chrome Nun.

Savages- Silence Yourself.

Boards of Canada- Music has the Right to Children.
Topic Outline:

Unsung Forum Index