38 messages
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
Popel Vooje
5373 posts

Edited Jun 09, 2013, 18:20
Re: Soundtracks of Our Lives week ending 9 June 2013 CE
Jun 09, 2013, 13:14
Hookworms - Pearl Mystic
Fairly standard but nonetheless exhilirating psych/drone rock from Leeds. My only slight reservation is that there are now so many bands mining that Loop/Hawkwind/Neu!/BRMC area for inspiration that the sound is in danger of becoming a formula if the groups involved don't start bringing in other influences to vary the recipe a little. Whilst - in its league - this is a very good record, I think this might be the last band of this ilk that I'm going to let through my personal listening gate for a while as there are other areas that are equally deserving of exploration.

Public Service Broadcasting - Inform, Educate, Entertain
This lot played a marvellous show as part of the British Library's Propoganda Exhibition on Friday - marvellous enough, in fact, to inspire me to buy this the following day. Have only listened once so far, and whilst I'm not yet sure whether it's the best new release I've heard all year it's certainly the least predictable, and sounds like it will be a grower.

Aphrodite's Child - 666
What a magnificently bonkers record! If only all prog rock were this innovative, expansive and plain psychedelic, I'd have a lot more than fifteen prog albums on my I-Pod. Shame that neither Vangelis nor Demis Roussos have released anything remotely in the same league since, although In know the former's early solo albums do have their supporters around these parts.

Also mentioned in dispatches?

Gene Clark - Flying High (which I've owned for years now, but whose brilliance never dims)
Jim O'Rourke - Eureka
Gastr Del Sol - Camofleur
The Yardbirds - Roger the Engineer
Ultramarine - Every Man and Woman is a Star
Topic Outline:

Unsung Forum Index