Record shops in Budapest?

Pages: 2 – [ 1 2 | Next ]
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
Carlos
Carlos
3884 posts

Record shops in Budapest?
Sep 29, 2012, 12:43
I'll be there with my wife next week and for 4 days. Is there any cd shops I must go? And if you want to be nice with us... what else is there to see and go? Thank you!!!
aswyth
78 posts

Re: Record shops in Budapest?
Sep 29, 2012, 15:34
Nothing mind-blowing, except for a few places where you can find some excellent local folk and Roma (Gypsy) music, plus one odd vinyl store loaded with strange records, but little in the genres I care most about - postpunk, reggae, etc. I'll post addresses and more info later today. Where are you coming from, and what sort of music are you looking for? Quite a lot to do there, I'll post some of that, too!
Carlos
Carlos
3884 posts

Sep 29, 2012, 18:06
I'm from Portugal and I usualy listen to indie, kraut, ambient, brazilian music and jazz. Thanks for your help. Any megashop like hvm or similar? Are you living in Budapest, my friend?
aswyth
78 posts

Sep 30, 2012, 00:53
There's nothing even remotely like a megashop, and if you're looking for anything rare or obscure, it had better be something along the lines of weird avant-garde Eastern European jazz / classical / avant-garde music / prog rock, since those appear to be the genres that did real well under Communism, and thus there's inventory of that stuff. There are a few places that sell minimalist techno / ambient stuff, but mostly very high-priced imports that you could get in Portugal or anywhere in Western Europe, actually. The only times I ever run across anything sort of cool (to my tastes) is when I'm in a little shop that just happens to have a small cache of someone's record collection (presumably a foreigner who abandoned them) - I found a ton of postpunk / garage psychobilly Australian stuff once, dirt cheap. Not my scene, but it made someone's week for sure.

Two places you might want to check out:

LACI BÁCSI LEMEZBOLTJA (Uncle Bacsi's Record Shop)
Kertész utca 42, Budapest VII
This is one block off the "Ring Road" (Erzsébet körút) (towards the Danube) between the Liszt Ferenc tér and Blaha Lujza tér metro stations. But I'd get there by taking the 4 or 6 trams to Wesselenyi útca and walking one block in from the ring road.

This place sells only vinyl - nothing much that I wanted, but it has a *really odd* selection of stuff, and this article describes it pretty well:

http://hubblogg.blogspot.com/2009/01/dont-judge-book-by-its-cover-but-record.html

You can search for stuff they have in stock here:

http://hanglemezek.hu/frames.php?lang=2

The biggest record store in Budapest is CONCERTO RECORDS
Dob utca 33, Budapest VIII
?The beauty of this place is that it's within walking distance of the store above, just go a few blocks closer to the river.

You can check them out at: http://www.lpcorner.com/

I don't live in Hungary, but I am there a lot and speak Hungarian reasonably well, and I'm going to be there from the 5th of October for about six weeks, so let me know if you'll be around then.
Carlos
Carlos
3884 posts

Sep 30, 2012, 01:01
Thanks dude! I'll be there with my wife from 3 to 7 October. Hope to have luck with the weather. Thanks once more.
aswyth
78 posts

Sep 30, 2012, 01:12
In terms of things to do, you should check out one of Budapest's romkocsmák ("ruin pubs") which are weird gathering places, typically set in the courtyards of abandoned and decaying apartment buildings, with insane decor, loads of strange rooms, cheap drinks (and sometimes food, live entertainment, theatre, cinema and art happenings) - lots of ex-patriates from all overs, and a crowd that tends to get younger as the night goes on, but can include 80 year-olds looking for games of chess and anyone, really. They're really fun if you're looking for something kind of different.

Budapest is super famous for its many warm thermal baths, which are often amazingly built - some date back to the heyday of the Austro-Hungarian Empire or before and haven't changed much.

Lots of great restaurants that you won't find in the guides; often these are known as "kif?zdék," which doesn't translate too well, but implies something like a "home cooking" place - typically these are run by old ladies they've brought in from Transylvania who really know how to cook traditional Hungarian cuisine - great soups, pork dishes and so on, often seasoned liberally with paprika. These places are usually a great value - fantastic food like something your Hungarian grandmother would cook, for not much money - and the menu changes almost every day. Actually, there isn't really a menu, usually just a long chalkboard listing everything, which can make it hard because the little old ladies have odd Transylvanian handwriting AND only know use Hungarian words for everything - and often, regional words or terms, like "Brassói" (in the style of Bra?ov, a city in Romania) that take some time to work out!

The Nagyvásárcsarnok (Great Market Hall) is sort of a must, too. Interesting food market on the ground floor, with a large variety of Hungarian folk clothes and very cheap places to eat above it.

This is all pretty general stuff, so if you're looking for anything more specific or strange let me know and I'll write more, and if you need more information about anything, let me know.
Carlos
Carlos
3884 posts

Sep 30, 2012, 11:24
You are a star, Man! Thanks. Just tell me one more thing: what's the Eastwood and unexpensive way to go from the airport to my hotel (near Buda castle). Thanks once more and sorry for all the trouble. By the way, What do you do for a living, if I may ask?
Eardrum
Eardrum
540 posts

Sep 30, 2012, 20:36
no recommendations shop wise - most cd's on sale seem to be generic imports and over-priced, but try and get to see some live local music.

Budapest is one of my favourite cities in Europe... so much so that I proposed to my wife there

It is beautiful, and looks at it's best at night - try and get out and about on foot - good walking shoes needed :)

food is excellent, beer good, wine drinkable (!), good value, and people are lovely - as a Brit it's nice to go abroad and find people that are genuinely proud of their city

have fun, you should do! x
Carlos
Carlos
3884 posts

Sep 30, 2012, 22:10
Thanks, man! I hope I would be as happy as you were there.
bauheed
bauheed
895 posts

Oct 01, 2012, 08:40
Don't particularly recall any record shops, but what I would recommend is a visit to The House of Terror - the museum dedicated to the history of the secret service in Hungary during the second world war and under Communism. Fascinating and disturbing, and presented in a really clever way.
Pages: 2 – [ 1 2 | Next ] Add a reply to this topic

Unsung Forum Index