Soundtracks of Our Lives week ending 16 September 2012 CE

31 messages
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
keith a
9574 posts

Re: Soundtracks of Our Lives week ending 16 September 2012 CE
Sep 17, 2012, 00:12
Scape / Cycle – Marvin Ayres
Soundscapey cd’s that aren’t necessarily my thing, but I think some folk would really like them.

S/T – Black Uhuru
Just put a new stylus on my turntable and as I had a sudden urge to hear this LP for no obvious reason I christened it with this. Sounds good, too!

Dig!!! Lazarus Dig!!! – Nick Cave & The Bad Seeds
Hugely enjoyable!!

One Day I’m Going To Soar – Dexys
There are moments when this is quite wonderful. Other moments less so! There can be few more distinctive voices than our Kev though!

Babylon By Bus – Bob Marley & the Wailers
I seem to recall that this met with an indifferent response at the time, as it wasn’t as good as the earlier live set. I’d never heard that back then so I wasn’t in a position to judge. I just knew that the lengthy version of Exodus that Peel played was right up my street.

Some Thing Came Up – Mekon
Hard-hitting electronic set with guest appearances from Alan Vega and Marc Almond.

The Intregal – Mother Of Six
Sabbath-like heaviness, the odd glammy beat and a singer with a bit of attitude. I've been enjoying this one a lot of late.

The Secrets Of Me – Andy Nice
Rather lovely neo-classical album from a few years back.

Elysium – Pet Shop Boys
The new PSB LP has had a bit of a slagging off from some fans. It mightn’t be their best (not after a couple of listens anyway) but I’m not sure how PSB’s can dislike it.

Après – Iggy Pop
New LP includes French songs and the odd unlikely cover (Everybody’s Talking and Michelle!)

Sister – Sonic Youth
I read an article on Stereogum entitled ‘Sonic Youth Albums From Worst To Best’. This came top and as it’s never been mine I thought I’d give it whirl. I enjoyed it but it’s still not my fave!
http://stereogum.com/1144241/sonic-youth-albums-from-worst-to-best/top-stories/lead-story/

Every Day Is Like The First Day – Malka Spigel
Malka’s new album isn’t a million miles away from what she and husband Colin Newman have been doing with Githead in recent years. Guests inc Johnny Marr and Tarwater’s Ronald Lippock.

Bolan Boogie – T.Rex
35 years since Bolan was killed so I needed a T.Rex fix. This is the classic Fly compilation that includes the Fly 45’s and the odd early album track, which aged 12 I was hearing for the first time.

Maximum R’n’B (The Roots Of The Who) (Uncut cd) – V/A
This is such a great compilation, featuring the likes of Howlin’ Wolf, Johnny Kidd & the Pirates, Jimmy Reed, James Brown, etc. Possibly better than any Who album, he says flippantly!

Plus...
Centurion Travel EP – Bomber Jackets
World Music – Goat
Strip Mine – James
No Love Lost – The Nightingales
3rd album – Santana
Luaka Bop – V/A
Size Of An Elephant EP – Xangbetos
Topic Outline:

Unsung Forum Index