26 messages
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
spencer
spencer
3071 posts

Edited Aug 20, 2012, 07:14
Re: Soundtracks of Our Lives week ending 19 August 2012 CE
Aug 20, 2012, 07:05
Kantner and Starship's Blows dominated my listening in a way not experienced since Directors Cut and 50 Words, but latterly these have been getting a look in: 1) Labradford - Prazision: more feedback. Very good. I wish the tracks could've gone on for longer, even if it meant turning it into a double album. There's nothing particularily wrong with the vocals, but I think they're superfluous. The music is strong enough not to need them. This record is now nearly twenty years old. Whoosh :( ; 2) Kevin Ayers - Confessions of Doctor Dream: Prompted by the Nico thread. I always tended to play the Confessions side more on vinyl, and these tracks still get most attention on the expanded cd. Theres good stuff elsewhere though, including among the bonus tracks. I love Lady Rachel. Ollie Halsall on Stop This Train is fun; 3) Terry Riley - Les Yeux Fermes/Lifespan: This is a twofer of film soundtracks. I got Lifespan on vinyl in the mid 70's, when it was known as La Secret de la Vie. The tapes of both were lost for thirty five years. My favourite psychedelic album. Riley's Rainbow in Curved Air was a head favourite back in the early '70's, now largely forgotten. Hardly ever mentioned here. The twofer is beautiful; it drifts and shimmers. Riley is great on sax as well as keyboards, both of which are heavily looped, for the uninitiated. The epitomy of pastoral summer music. Hurry if you want this or any of Riley's non CBS stuff, as the label responsible for the rest, eg the excellent Shri Camel, Persian Surgery Dervishes and Harp of New Albion, is no longer distributing it. Gone soon. Available on MP3 on Amazon, though. Do get. 4) Robert Fripp - A Blessing of Tears....sad and lovely. 5) Vaughan Williams - Boult Conducts Vaughan Williams. LSO/LPO. Symphony No6, Song of Thanksgiving and The Lark. Bloody superb. When I watched an anniversary performance of The Lark on telly recently in its first incarnation as a piano and violin duet the nuances of the young Chinese soloist made me realise for the first time that some passages sounded strangely familiar. The resembance to parts of Eleanor Rigby seemed ... uncanny. Coincidencence, I'm sure. Producer common to both: George Martin.
Topic Outline:

Unsung Forum Index