Pages: 4 – [ Previous | 1 2 3 4 ]
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
drewbhoy
drewbhoy
2559 posts

Edited Jul 24, 2012, 01:53
Re: Soundtracks of Our Lives week ending 22 July 2012 CE
Jul 24, 2012, 01:50
You should be very proud! I did, I thought they were excellent as well. Great musicians and a very enjoyable set. All the people with me certainly enjoyed The Folks. Tell them to come to Aberdeen :-)
spencer
spencer
3071 posts

Edited Jul 24, 2012, 02:56
Jul 24, 2012, 02:45
Holger Czukay - On the Way to the Peak of Normal. Underappreciated followup to Movies. Different, but its equal, if not better. And you can drive to it - well most, anyway. Unsung.

Johnny Cash - Unearthed.
Still digging this after an absence.

Procul Harum and the Edmonton Symphony Orchestra.
Hit the spot. No duff tracks and a supercharged Salty Dog.
Gig: Smoke Fairies: shy, sultry, impassioned. Enjoyed.
IanB
IanB
6761 posts

Edited Jul 24, 2012, 13:26
Jul 24, 2012, 13:16
spencer wrote:
As it stands the next dub I'll get after 4th St will probably be the soon come Marley and the Wailers 'In Dub Vol 1' - genuine mid-late '70s JA dubs, apparently.

There were about 30 dubs from 70 and 71 released in the Trojan Complete Upsetter box. Taken as a whole they are a bit meh. Not essential and many are really just straight up instrumentals with ghost vocals leaking into the mix. The later ones are more interesting sonically but they aren't mixing desk "performances" as you would exepct from King Tubby or Lee Perry. The dubs of Sun Is Shining and Rainbow Country are especially good as the bass sound is gorgeous. Depends on how interested you are in the Wailers as a band. Can't remember ever hearing any dubs from the Catch a Fire / Burning / Natty Dread era but then I wasn't a big singles buyer before 76-77 and my reggae collection before Punk stood at just two albums! Anyway let me know how you get on with the mid 70s set as I am intrigued already.
spencer
spencer
3071 posts

Jul 25, 2012, 17:37
Will do. I had huge respect for that rhythm section in its prime. I have Laswell's take on Wailer dub, and, like you, am intrigued to hear a chronologically similar home turf comparison.
IanB
IanB
6761 posts

Edited Jul 25, 2012, 17:50
Jul 25, 2012, 17:49
spencer wrote:
Will do. I had huge respect for that rhythm section in its prime. I have Laswell's take on Wailer dub, and, like you, am intrigued to hear a chronologically similar home turf comparison.

You inadvertently sent me off on a bit of a hunt.

There is a Wailers-without-Bob set of instrumentals called "Dub Marley" that was recorded (allegedly) around the time of Rastaman Vibration which comes with dubs. It is comprised of versions of songs from across the Marley back catalogue. Just bought that on iTunes and will report back when I have time to have a listen properly.

There is also a (currently) US only "In Dub Vol 1" which threatens to be the first of many BM&TW dub sets drawn from original b sides and new mixes. It is the new mixes that would worry me (!) but it looks like there is only one of those on this first volume. If that is what you have on order I will be very interested to learn more.
spencer
spencer
3071 posts

Jul 25, 2012, 19:42
That's the beast. I havent had much interest in the posthumous releases tbh but Amazon sent me an alert about the soon come UK one and I must admit I'm twitching...
Totally off topic, but am on hols in N. Scotland at mo with a couple of my daughters. Sending this from the ferry back from Lewis and Callanish Stones. Eee isn't technology wonderful! (when you're my age:))
Toni Torino
2299 posts

Jul 27, 2012, 09:00
Underworld - Dubnobasswithmyheadman
Underworld - Oblivion With Bells
Stanton Warriors - The Stanton Sessions
The Slow Life - Be Not Afraid
Rome Pays Off - We were wrong
Coldcut - Let Us Play
Daft Punk - Homework
Zero 7 - Simple Things