Soundtracks of Our Lives week ending 15 July 2012 CE

32 messages
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
spencer
spencer
3071 posts

Re: Soundtracks of Our Lives week ending 15 July 2012 CE
Jul 18, 2012, 03:31
Now I've finally got time to post... 1) Lead Us Not Into Temptation - David Byrne ..... Sometimes you can get tripped up by other records and put good albums to one side, meaning to return .. and then forget them. Happened with this. It's the soundtrack for the film Young Adam, where Byrne is joined by various Scottish luminaries from the Delgados, Belle and Sebastian and Mogwai. The film is nihilistic and amoral and David captured and complimented it beautifully; it's predominantly instrumental and strings based, with discrete guitar fx and keyboards, and drifts along without a single duff moment. The best soundtrack album I own, and is worth buying just for the track titles, eg. Body in the River, Seaside Smokes, Sex on the Docks, Warm Sheets, Dirty Hair and Bastard. Cant recommend it highly enough; and I didn't play it for four years. 2) Rasta Communication - deluxe edition .... Keith Hudson. Got last Saturday, still absorbing this. While Keith couldn't be described as a vocalist of the highest order the beats can. It has extra tracks and a bonus disc of dub versions.. and I like it a lot. As a personal plus, the notes in the cd mentioned another Hudson record, From One Extreme to Another. About thirty years ago a record shop owner I knew raved about it and played it to me; I thought it was great but walked out without buying as it was a US import and expensive and I was skint. A week later when I felt a bit more flush I went back but it had gone. I never found another copy. I've never forgotten it; one of those holy grails. Anyway, the sleeve notes mentioned a dub version of it called Nah Skin Up. The title tracks on RC and it's a cracker. On checking Amazon they had it at a very good price. Ordered. Happy bunny. 3) Unearthed - Johnny Cash .... Box set of the American Recordings 'rejects'. Indispensible. Always wanted this, but was expensive new, now deleted and very, very pricey, The other month I asked the owner of my local indie emporium if he could look for a 'cheap' crappy nick second hand copy at a price that I might be able to afford with a lot of pip squeaking. When I next saw him he pressed a promo copy into my hand. Free. I was ... choked. Barry is a Very Nice Man. 4) Bitches Brew Live - Miles Davis .... Came out two years ago and completely passed me by until I saw it in the second hand section of the aforementioned emporium when I was buying the Hudson. A quick Amazon review squint revealed lots of 5*s. Four quid. Bought. It's three tracks from Newport Jazz Festival plus the complete set from Isle of Wight '70 in far better quality than ever before. Fierce, wild and in parts very funky. Rather good. 5) Hanging Gardens - The Necks .... Seems to be attracted to my player as much as Kate Bushes efforts last year. That's meant as a compliment. Another music, but just as absorbing, patience-rewarding and vital. Ttfn
Topic Outline:

Unsung Forum Index