Unsung Forum »
Soundtracks of Our Lives week ending 17 June 2012 CE

Pages: 4 – [ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ]
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
aether
149 posts

Re: Soundtracks of Our Lives week ending 17 June 2012 CE
Jun 17, 2012, 16:05
Elevation by Sanders, wow man, a heavy, HEAVY listen! I tend to dig out Village of the Pharoahs and Wisdom Through Music a lot though when I'm in the mood for Sanders.

Whats the Winstone solo stuff like IanB? Love her work on Labyrinth by Ian Carr and Nucleus (fact, its one of my planned reviews for Unsung)??

Aether
aether
149 posts

Jun 17, 2012, 16:10
Few new records landed by spaceship (royal mail) yesterday:

Vindharpen - Rejsentilyenan (1975): Danish acid-folk mysticism with some Eastern vibes

Vytas Brenner - Offrenda (1978) Mad Venezuelan prog/fusion/disco behemoth

Litto Nebbia - Fuera Del Cielo (1975) - more melodic Latin prog madness
Kid Calamity
9048 posts

Jun 17, 2012, 17:21
Nightingales: 'No Love Lost'

Yeasayer: 'All Hour Cymbals'

Zero 7: 'When It Falls'

School Of Seven Bells: 'Alpinisms'

Phaselock: 'One'

Orlando López: "Cachaito"

Monsoon Featuring Sheila Chandra

Magazine: 'Secondhand Daylight'

Jah Wobble: 'I Could Have Been A Contender'

Homelife: 'Guru Man'

Goldfrapp: 'Seventh Tree'

David Holmes: 'The Holy Pictures'
IanB
IanB
6761 posts

Edited Jun 17, 2012, 18:57
Jun 17, 2012, 18:55
aether wrote:
Elevation by Sanders, wow man, a heavy, HEAVY listen! I tend to dig out Village of the Pharoahs and Wisdom Through Music a lot though when I'm in the mood for Sanders.

Whats the Winstone solo stuff like IanB? Love her work on Labyrinth by Ian Carr and Nucleus (fact, its one of my planned reviews for Unsung)??

Aether

Edge of Time is really good and if you like Nucleus etc then it is the proverbial "must have". I like Somewhere Called Home a lot too though that is very much what you would expect from an ECM Ballads record. It has a strong chamber music feel to it. The weakness for me are the sections that feature Tony Coe on clarinet. He has that English light romantic sentimental whimsy thing that reminds me of John Harle's soprano and I find it a bit hard to take. John Taylor is great on it. Distances from 2008 is more straight up balladry but I far prefer this band and what ever time has done to her range that voice just gets me every time.

And if you like Norma you've got to hear the new Magma record.
IanB
IanB
6761 posts

Jun 17, 2012, 18:56
Kid Calamity wrote:
What, you mean it's cool vibes for the first ten minutes - and then somebody flounces out... and then the rest start arguing over everything sounding too jazz?

Isn't that a potted history of Soft Machine?
Kid Calamity
9048 posts

Jun 17, 2012, 19:26
Ha ha ha!!!
danny_9317
danny_9317
37 posts

Edited Jun 18, 2012, 10:16
Jun 17, 2012, 19:43
brian eno-music for films, before and after science
ry cooder-my name is buddy
syd barrett-barrett
cluster-zuckerzeit
frank zappa-freak out, only in it for the money and zoot allures
teardrops-peel sessions plus
lou reed-berlin
edgar froese-aqua
shane mcgowan and the popes-the snake
soft machine-s/t
butterfield blues band-s/t
rem-automatic for the people
rush-carress of steel
porcupine tree-on the sunday of life
david peel-have a marijuana
heads-radio one
prefab sprout-jordan the comeback

danny
Squid Tempest
Squid Tempest
8769 posts

Jun 17, 2012, 20:40
Nope - Revision
Gnod - Chaudelande II
White Manna - S/T

All the above are splendid and rather great. I do like the White Manna thing a lot, but it isn't quite up to the standard of the other two which are Olympic gold medal standard.

Kevin Ayers - Harvest years
Really great. Although I've heard bits of Ayer's stuff over the years (mostly Joy of a Toy and Confessions of Dr Dream) i haven't listened to him in detail. Enjoying doing so.

Richard Skelton - Visions of Birds
Gorgeous. Not as melancholy as his previous stuff.

John Martyn - In Session
Edgar Froese - Solo

Fougou - Further From The Centre of Disturbance
Utterly brilliant release from Matt Apollolaan/Texlahoma. Rather spooky.

White Hills/Farflung split
The Heads Radio 1
Kandodo - S/T
Again, all rather marvellous. Kandodo a bit more ambient and drifty than I expected from a member of The Heads, but great stuff regardless.

Singles etc:
Sigur Ros - Ekki Mukk
The Dalai Lama Rama Fa Fa Fa - You Make Me Crazy
Goat - Goatman/The Sun The Moon
Hookworms/Kogumaza - split
Cheval Sombre - Couldn't Do
The Pretty Things - Honey, I Need
Fitter Stoke
Fitter Stoke
2614 posts

Edited Jun 17, 2012, 20:56
Jun 17, 2012, 20:56
Dexys 'One Day I'm Going To Soar' - what could have been a fine album has been spoiled by comically overacted spoken interactions and an overkill on profanity. There's some decent songs here, but a mire of self-obsessed bile as well;

Rumer 'Boys Don't Cry' - inventive collection of covers by one of the best female vocalists I've heard in years;

Caravan 'In The Land Of Grey And Pink' (Deluxe Edition) - well, I had to succumb eventually to this, having only bought the album on two former occasions! There's precious little new on offer here, but Mark Powell's liner notes are good (if a little repetitive) and the 'Beat Club' video is essential viewing for Canterbury heads. I could've well done without Steven Wilson's crap remixes mind: why the hell does he keep cropping up everywhere?

The Monkees 'Head' - short, sweet and well well weird, this sounds fabulous in its recent Rhino vinyl edition;

Bruce Springsteen 'Wrecking Ball' - formula Boss on autopilot...and all the better for it. Looking forward to the Sunderland gig this week;

Frank Zappa 'Lumpy Gravy' - Jeez, and I thought 'Head' was weird;

Pink Floyd 'The Wall' - note to Mr Rowland: here's an object lesson in how to vent your spleen without making a tit of yourself. Mind you, it helps to have the world's greatest guitarist on your side as well.

And that, alongside a selection of Sibelius symphonies conducted by Sir Thomas Beecham and Sir Alexander Gibson, was my gas at a peep. Have a great week, erudite dudes.
machineryelf
3681 posts

Jun 17, 2012, 21:24
Fitter Stoke wrote:

Bruce Springsteen 'Wrecking Ball' - formula Boss on autopilot...and all the better for it. Looking forward to the Sunderland gig this week;

I'm well impressed with Wrecking Ball, it's a step up from the last few IMHO,also looking forward to the Sunderland gig

elsewhere it's been

Swans - We Rose From Your Bed With The Sun In Our Head - stunning live cd , the opening track is incredible, a real builder and the whole thing is just fantastic, album of the year.

Patti Smith - Banga another great 2012 release, really enjoying this

Spaceship - Compendium Obscura

V/A - Motown Chartbusters 1-6,Cruisin'55-60

Pixies - Doolittle

Kyuss - Sky Valley

Mazzy Star - So Tonight I Might See

The Pirates - At The Beeb 76-78

Terry Riley - A Rainbow In Curved Air

Moss - Sub Templum

Edgar Froese - Solo 74-87

King Tubby - Father of Dub

Marianne Faithfull - Island Chronicles

Uriah Heep - Live 73 picked up a s/h copy of the deluxe CD, this is a storming listen if you like that sort of thing, the Rock n Roll medley at the end still gets me smiling like an idiot

Magnetic Fields - 69 Love Songs nos 46-69 only

Toner Low - S/T lovely bit of stoner, somewhat spoilt by the gaps in the songs, not sure of its history but I suspect it was cut for vinyl, it's from the band so you think they might have noticed, it was only 5E and the music is top notch so I wont complain too much
Pages: 4 – [ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ] Add a reply to this topic

Unsung Forum Index