9577 posts

Re: Soundtracks of Our Lives week ending 8 January 2012 CE
Jan 09, 2012, 20:50
Squid Tempest wrote:
Moon Cat wrote:
Squid Tempest wrote:
Moon Cat wrote:

A King Crimson Projekt - A Scarcity of Miracles

You reminded me, I got a copy of A Beginners Guide to Projeckcts last week on the strength of Scarcity.. and it's really bloody good. Much heavier and rockier than Scarcity. More up my street really. Not terribly expensive either.

Thanks for tip. It shall go on the serendipitous sniff list. V pleased cos I got "Voice of the Seven Woods" (2nd hand) today on the sniff for £1.30!

I got it from our local record shop (yeay!), but a quick ferret online seems to indicate it isn't that readily available. It is on the DGM website for $9.99. Also, I didn'[t realise it is a taster for a box set. I'm wishing I'd got the box now.

I'm hoping places like Vinyl Exchange will reward me with serendipitous sniffs when I'm not looking for it so to speak. It's a process that's paid off handsomely thus far over the years.
Squid Tempest
Squid Tempest
8769 posts

Jan 09, 2012, 20:52
riverman wrote:
Squid Tempest wrote:
Some fantastic stuff this week.

Kogumaza S/T - fantastic density of fuzz guitars, can't stop listening to this.
Yamantaka - Sonic Titan - YT/ST

I'm the same with Kogumaza - I had it on an endless loop on the train up north the other day (and on the return). I assume you've been listening to the single as well as the album as both are cracking?
YT/ST arrived today so looking forward to listening to that on the hifi and not my computer speakers.

Yeah, the single is fantastic too. The pair are probably my favourite listen of the last few weeks, and I've heard some briliant stuff lately.

The YT/ST thing is interesting - I need to give it a few more listens I think, it isn't so immediate.
mingtp
mingtp
2270 posts

Jan 10, 2012, 01:37
Moon Cat wrote:
Justice - Audio Video Disco

Moonie, is this worth buying? I love Civilisation and the title track almost as much but is it a good album?
Sin Agog
Sin Agog
2253 posts

Edited Jan 10, 2012, 01:53
Jan 10, 2012, 01:51
I've played Let the Sun Shine In by an early 70s Soul Jazz band called Sons & Daughters of Lite on repeat pretty much for the whole of the last couple of days. It's so uplifting and hypnotic.

Let the Sun Shine In

Also been blasting everything by Zuby Nehty, who are a super cool Czech version of The Raincoats (Rainczechs?).

Sokol
IanB
IanB
6761 posts

Jan 10, 2012, 14:23
Squid Tempest wrote:
Moon Cat wrote:
Squid Tempest wrote:
Moon Cat wrote:

A King Crimson Projekt - A Scarcity of Miracles

You reminded me, I got a copy of A Beginners Guide to Projeckcts last week on the strength of Scarcity.. and it's really bloody good. Much heavier and rockier than Scarcity. More up my street really. Not terribly expensive either.

Thanks for tip. It shall go on the serendipitous sniff list. V pleased cos I got "Voice of the Seven Woods" (2nd hand) today on the sniff for £1.30!

I got it from our local record shop (yeay!), but a quick ferret online seems to indicate it isn't that readily available. It is on the DGM website for $9.99. Also, I didn'[t realise it is a taster for a box set. I'm wishing I'd got the box now.

I found the box a bit much tbh. Lots of fantastic music but in the end I could have done with half as much and spread over a longer release period. It's a bit like the Omar Rodriguez Lopez solo records, in the end I feel swamped by listening to them not inspired to revisit. Except in really exceptional cases.

I really hanker after the 38 minute album. Which is about how long I wanted Galaxsea to be!
thekremlin
132 posts

Edited Jan 10, 2012, 14:37
Jan 10, 2012, 14:36
The Mars Volta - Frances the Mute
Bill Ryder-Jones - If
Dustin O'Halloran - Vorleben
El Grupo Nuevo de Omar Rodriguez Lopez - Cryptomnesia
The Rolling Stones - It's Only Rock n Roll
Tom Waits - Bad As Me
Elvis - Moody Blue
Mastodon - The Hunter
Mazzy Star - She Hangs Brightly
Moon Cat
9577 posts

Jan 10, 2012, 17:54
mingtp wrote:
Moon Cat wrote:
Justice - Audio Video Disco

Moonie, is this worth buying? I love Civilisation and the title track almost as much but is it a good album?

Yes it's fuckin' mega in that it is utterly ridiculous in many ways but it made me smile like a gibbon on speed all over Xmas. The opening track "Horsepower" is beyond awesome in it's tech-prog silliness and when the main riff kicks in you need to have it at concrete destroying volume for the full rapture.

One of the best albums to make one grin I've heard in ages. They even go electro AC/DC on one track. Whether you see that as a good thing - which I do - is up to you.
Pages: 3 – [ Previous | 1 2 3 ] Add a reply to this topic

Unsung Forum Index