Moon Cat
9577 posts

Edited Jan 02, 2012, 03:32
Re: Soundtracks of Our Lives week ending 1 January 2012 CE
Jan 02, 2012, 03:31
redfish365 wrote:
Squid Tempest wrote:
[quote="Moon Cat"]
Also got Broadsword & the Beast btw - sounds good on 1st couple of listens. Ta for the pointer.

I love Broadsword!
I got it on vinyl when it first came out and dug it instantly and still find myself going back to it. It holds up quite a bit better than some of the other Tull albums of the era such as A and Under Wraps.

I agree. I'm no Tull expert but even I can see there was definitely a moment where they seemed to get overly seduced by the 'exciting' new technology on offer- like many bands of their vintage - to the detriment of the songs. To be fair, I can't blame 'em. Any band with proggish tendencies were almost damned if they do and damned if they don't when it came to dalliances with electronics and "ooh wow" synth sounds.
Underwraps especially suffers from letting the stuff more or less overwrite the songs as perfectly illustrated by the 2 versions of the title track.

Broadsword seemed to strike the best balance between the old and the (then) new with Tull. The artwork alone harks back to a more organic, 'mythical' era and the sheer strength of the songs overpowers any unwitting fromage overdose with the tech of the day.

I'd love to see Tull go into the studio and do what a lot of bands of their age have been doing and just seek to make the "....est" album they can, even to the point of absolute cliche. Just make a really, full on, vaguely mental Tull album, so stupidly, resoundingly Tull it stands on one leg.
redfish365
redfish365
710 posts

Edited Jan 02, 2012, 04:43
Jan 02, 2012, 03:31
Le Orme / La via della seta (New Le Orme without key members but still a proggy delight, great keys)

Future Kings of England / Who Is This Who Is Coming?

Uriah Heep / Into the Wild

J.A. Caesar /Pilgrimage Of Blood

Pharaoh Overlord / Out of Darkness (PO in FULL NWOFHM mode!)

Black Pyramid / II (Solid outing, too bad about lineup issues)

Gnod / Science & Industry

Gnod / Full Moon Ritual

Umberto / Prophecy of the Black Widow

Freedom Hawk / Holding On

Øresund Space Collective / Glossolalia (OSC with vocals... well spoken word)

Forest Swords / Dagger Paths

Cave / Neverendless

Jane / Between Heaven and Hell

Growing Seeds / Miraculous Journey

Gurumaniax / Psy Valley Hill

Tangle Edge / In Search of a New Dawn

Dust / Hard Attack

Detective / ST

Wild Turkey / Turkey

Stallion / The Hard Life

Zoldar & Clark / ST

Iron Man / I Have Returned

IQ / Ever (Neoprog classic)

Strange Flowers / Vagina Mother

Black Cat Bones / Barbed Wire Sandwich

Wicked Minds / Witchflower

Earthling Society / Stations of the Ghost

Motorpsycho / Heavy Metal Fruit

Hypnos 69 / The Legacy (This band never fails to impress... this is a stunner!)

Circle / Forest
Squid Tempest
Squid Tempest
8769 posts

Edited Jan 02, 2012, 12:43
Jan 02, 2012, 12:42
Earthling Society - Sci Fi Hi Fi
Don't know why it's taken me so long to buy this one - it's bloody great. Been listening to it over and over. Top stuff Fred!

Matthew Shaw - Lanreath
Marvellous field recordings and ambience from Appollolaan chap! Thanks for this Matt. I first listened to this on headphones at my folks place while trying to escape some dodgy family Xmas games, and it utterly revitalised me. Gorgeous album
More details here - http://www.texlahoma.com/

King Krimson Project - A Scarcity of Miracles
Picked up from local record shop. Probably wouldn't have bothered if Ian hadn't mentioned it before. Well, that and the fact I like to buy something regularly to keep the shop in business. Cracking dose of mellow j@zz with Frippy bits. Very nice.

Solus 3 - Corner of the World
If you haven't already, buy one, tiz lovely.

Cave - Neverendless
Hookworms - S/T
Datashock - Pyramiden
The Bevis Frond - The Leaving of London
White Hills - Live at Roadburn

Jethro Tull - Broadsword and the Beast
Thanks for pointing me at this Moon Cat, I'm thoroughly enjoying it.

Bibilic Blood - Blood Butterfly
Auuurrrghg! First nasty doomy detuned thing I've heard in a while and it certainly seems to be bleaching the cranium nicely.

Thought Forms - S/T and Sea Pegs
Go here http://thoughtformsband.blogspot.com/ get the downloads. That's an order. This lot are bloody marvellous.

Lobster Prophet - Tropical Alien
Great to hear a bit of graunchy garage punk. A splendid livener.

999 - S/T and Separates
In a bit of a pop punk mood. These went down a treat as a £3.99 twofer.

Utopia - Ra and Oops! Wrong Planet
Top Todd. Been listening to these a lot.

Half Man Half Biscuit - 90 Bisodol
Recommended to me by landells, and by golly this cheered me up! If you've got the post crimbo blues, stick this on loud and prepare to smile.

Hope you all have a fine and noisy 2012!
love
Squid
x

P.S. More Black Tempest coming soon. There is even the prospect of the 1st vinyl BT in 2012 from these chaps:
http://www.fruitsdemerrecords.com/bands.html
IanB
IanB
6761 posts

Edited Jan 02, 2012, 14:56
Jan 02, 2012, 14:55
Squid Tempest wrote:

999 - S/T and Separates
In a bit of a pop punk mood. These went down a treat as a £3.99 twofer.

The synchronicity between HH heads never ceases to amaze me. I've been playing those two a lot the last couple of weeks. Alongside the first UK Subs album. 999 were much maligned as second wave chancers but the records stand up a treat. If you like these then the Bang-Bang album that served as the OST to "Brothers in the Head" is one you must hear too.

Glad you liked the Crimson album. Like a lot of Fripp releases it seemed to get ignored by reviewers. Maybe like Bill Nelson he has simply sick and tired of paying publicists to send free music to "musically illiterate" rock critics. With a fan base that big and active I guess you can afford to be stand offish with the media. Still seems odd to me that so many obviously intelligent 60s and 70s musicians (Elvis C is another one) who did so well out of being flavour of the season in previous decades can't accept that the wheel of rock fashion never stops turning. It's not like 70s critics were any smarter or more sensitive just because they liked their stuff at the time.

Speaking of getting a "look-in" thanks for on-going big-up for the SOLUS3 record. Much appreciated. I have been luxuriating in yours too. I've said this before but your records really are the perfect soundtrack for the London Underground. It's ambient without being passive and propulsive without being intrusive. Odin works like that too whereas overtly Motorik stuff just pisses me off on public transport. Black Tempest - not so much New Age as No Age!
Moon Cat
9577 posts

Jan 02, 2012, 15:01
IanB wrote:

Glad you liked the Crimson album. Like a lot of Fripp releases it seemed !

It's really nice and looks rather swish too. I see what you mean about A-Ha on some of it. And it's a masterclass in mellow sax playing whilst avoiding the cheese-zone.
riverman
riverman
845 posts

Jan 02, 2012, 17:51
SunnO))): OO Void (reissue). I wasn't sure whether to get this as only really listen to Altar and Monoliths but glad I did (been on heavy rotation). Not yet listened to the Nurse with Wound cd that came with it.

Oneida: Pre-teen Weaponry
Oneida: Rated-O (Disc 2)

Julian Cope: Interpreter & Odin

Six Organs of Admittance: Asleep on the Floodplain
200 Years: S/t. This is Ben Chasny (Six Organs) and the Magic Markers singer/guitarist Elisa Ambrogio. Utterly gorgeous record, v intimate recording (my cat thought there was a stranger in the house when he first heard her voice!). Restrained acoustic from Chasny as he continues to 'explore the guitar' (annoying when he says stuff like that in interviews as he must be one of the best guitarists around for the breadth of his acoustic/electric playing!).

Dead Skeletons - Dead Magick

Master Musicians of Bukkake - Totem III

Tangerine Dream - Zeit

And today I've been on bandcamp listening to two of Cope's January recommendations: Kogumaza and Yamantaka/Sonic Titan. Really enjoyed both - first music of 2012 bought! (I mean first 2012 purchases they were of course both released last year).

This is a review of YT/ST on their bandcamp page:

The key to Yamantaka’s sound lies in their uninhibited admixture of East and West, their commingling of the band’s ancestral musics with more contemporary genres to explore the complications and contradictions of dual identity. By simultaneously inhabiting a variety of cultural forms, the band shatters the comfort with which colonialist cultures have appropriated the image and art of Asian and First Nations peoples to assemble a wholly new hybrid form. This is Noh-Wave, and it draws from both pop and J-pop, British prog and Japanese psychedelia, punk rock and Iroquois core, black metal and Chinese Opera, noise music and Noh theatre. The resultant sounds could be seductively soft (as heard on “Hoshi Neko”) or electrifyingly loud (as heard on “Reverse Crystal // Murder of a Spider), but they’re invariably the stuff of a visionary new approach to popular music. --GL
riverman
riverman
845 posts

Jan 02, 2012, 18:00
IanB wrote:
I have been luxuriating in yours too. I've said this before but your records really are the perfect soundtrack for the London Underground. It's ambient without being passive and propulsive without being intrusive. Odin works like that too whereas overtly Motorik stuff just pisses me off on public transport. Black Tempest - not so much New Age as No Age!

Agree with the BT comments. I'd not thought about listening to Odin whilst commuting but I remember it worked really well when I flew back from Chile with what turned out to be bronchitis and a knacked back from the coughing and a 5 hour dirt road drive the previous day. 'Swallows all misery whole', the Iggy Pop quote Cope uses in Krautrocksampler.
riverman
riverman
845 posts

Jan 02, 2012, 18:04
Like what Ian said - we've both listened to HMHB but just reading your post reminded me that I've also listened to Datashock and the White Hills Roadburn cd this week (I've also worn the t-shirt!). Could be a new thread - T-shirts of our lives week ending 1 January 2012 CE...
Squid Tempest
Squid Tempest
8769 posts

Jan 02, 2012, 18:12
riverman wrote:
Like what Ian said - we've both listened to HMHB but just reading your post reminded me that I've also listened to Datashock and the White Hills Roadburn cd this week (I've also worn the t-shirt!). Could be a new thread - T-shirts of our lives week ending 1 January 2012 CE...

Hah! Similarly, I also listened to Totems III and Oneida Rated O.

I love it - this is the one place I've ever found on the interweb where so many people like the same kind of thing as I do, and everything cross-fertilizes. I can be reasonably certain that if someone I know on here heartily recommends an album I can pretty safely go out and buy one.
machineryelf
3681 posts

Jan 02, 2012, 21:30
Complete Smiths this is a suprb sounding set, especially as the last time I heard a lot of this was on crappy cassette a long time ago
lots of Iron Maiden- pretty much all the studio recordings bar the first Blaze cd
John Fahey - The Past Comes Back To Haunt You 5cds is probably over egging the pudding but nothing here is bad just some are more equal than others
Microdisney - Daunt Square To Elsewhere spot on round up of MD on CD
Kate Bush - 50 Words For Snow cd of the year easily
Klaus Schulze/Black Tempest/Spaceship more noodly/synthi/droney stuff to fill the spaces left
some other bits n bobs but the above has filled most of my listening and will probably continue to do so for a while
Pages: 3 – [ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ] Add a reply to this topic

Unsung Forum Index