33 messages
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
keith a
9573 posts

Edited Nov 27, 2011, 23:17
Re: Soundtracks of Our Lives week ending 27 November 2011 CE
Nov 27, 2011, 23:14
Dead Songs – Big Blood
Sort of psychy folk. I like some of this a lot.

Rome - Danger Mouse & Daniele Luppi
I’d heard a track off this and loved it and then saw Vince raving over it here. Only had chance to hear it a couple of times thus far, but already I am seriously impressed.

Lucid Thought – Deep Magic
I've been after this for ages. The copy I ordered never arrived, but managed to get a copy from the States. I can imagine receiving Reiki whilst this plays.

Room To Live: The Undilutable Slang Truth! – The Fall
Hard Life In The Country sounding really good.

S/T (3) – Peter Gabriel
Us – Peter Gabriel
I’d pretty much forgotten Us, but it has some decent moments. Steam is very much in the Sledgehammer mould, but I prefer it personally. Elsewhere it’s more, er, thoughtful sounding, but it’s really not bad at all.

No Thyself – Magazine
Early days so far, but it sounds ok. Hard to belive that’s not Barry Adamson on the funky number.

Destroyed – Moby
I know a lot of folk think Moby is the anti-christ, but I like him. Indeed I thought Everything Is Wrong was one of the best albums of the 90’s. That said I've kinda lost touch with him in recent years, but I heard some great tracks earlier this year and when I saw they’d been added to a deluxe edition of this it was hard to resist.

Bastard – Colin Newman
90’s solo set from the Wire man. Like everything else on Swim it’s a long way from those early 80’s Newman albums.

Yes, etc - Pet Shop Boys
The Way It Used To Be rates amongst their finest.

Stupid Thing ep - Paul Quinn & The Independent Group
This Edwyn Collins produced 90’s release passed me by at the time, but it contains a track, Passing Thought, that is pretty breathtaking.

Sons & Fascination / Sister Feeling Call – Simple Minds
S&F is a great album. One of my faves from that era. And those two opening tracks from SFC – Theme For Great Cities and The American – are right up there, too. I still find it hard to listen to Theme...without making my own songs over the top of it though!

Sticky Soul Fingers (A Rolling Stones Tribute) – V/A
What it says on the label. Sticky Fingers tracks (and Angie!) given the soul treatment. Strangely enjoyable!

Also...
Trans-Love Energies - Death In Vegas

S/T - The Modern Lovers

S/T – The Move

Wish You Well – The Orphins

In Fine Style: 1973-1979 - Augustus Pablo

Off Duty + Boat Trip – Sun Araw

154 - Wire

Turns And Strokes - Wire

Red Barked Tree – Wire

The Black Session - Wire

BBC 6 Session - Wire