Topic View: Flat | Threaded
flashbackcaruso
1058 posts

Re: Soundtracks of Our Lives week ending 27 November 2011 CE
Nov 27, 2011, 22:53
Boxnudger wrote:
flashbackcaruso wrote:

Scott Walker - 'Til The Band Comes In

That reminds me - I've also been relistening to Pulp's wonderful "We Love Life" album. "Til The Band Comes In" is mentioned in one of the songs

Yes. Jarvis had already written a lyric which included that album in a list of disappointments (well, just the last 5 tracks where it suddenly goes from being 'Scott 5' to 'Scott Sings Songs From His TV Series'). And then Scott Walker himself ended up producing the song! Apparently when the negative reference came up for discussion, embarrassment was avoided by Scott claiming to have no memory of the album in question.
Kentauren
Kentauren
27 posts

Nov 27, 2011, 23:12
Randy Holden:Population II
Comus - First Utterance
Danzig: II Lucifuge
Moss: Sub Templum
The Heads: Tilburg
The Necks: Drive By
The Who: Sellout
keith a
9574 posts

Edited Nov 27, 2011, 23:17
Nov 27, 2011, 23:14
Dead Songs – Big Blood
Sort of psychy folk. I like some of this a lot.

Rome - Danger Mouse & Daniele Luppi
I’d heard a track off this and loved it and then saw Vince raving over it here. Only had chance to hear it a couple of times thus far, but already I am seriously impressed.

Lucid Thought – Deep Magic
I've been after this for ages. The copy I ordered never arrived, but managed to get a copy from the States. I can imagine receiving Reiki whilst this plays.

Room To Live: The Undilutable Slang Truth! – The Fall
Hard Life In The Country sounding really good.

S/T (3) – Peter Gabriel
Us – Peter Gabriel
I’d pretty much forgotten Us, but it has some decent moments. Steam is very much in the Sledgehammer mould, but I prefer it personally. Elsewhere it’s more, er, thoughtful sounding, but it’s really not bad at all.

No Thyself – Magazine
Early days so far, but it sounds ok. Hard to belive that’s not Barry Adamson on the funky number.

Destroyed – Moby
I know a lot of folk think Moby is the anti-christ, but I like him. Indeed I thought Everything Is Wrong was one of the best albums of the 90’s. That said I've kinda lost touch with him in recent years, but I heard some great tracks earlier this year and when I saw they’d been added to a deluxe edition of this it was hard to resist.

Bastard – Colin Newman
90’s solo set from the Wire man. Like everything else on Swim it’s a long way from those early 80’s Newman albums.

Yes, etc - Pet Shop Boys
The Way It Used To Be rates amongst their finest.

Stupid Thing ep - Paul Quinn & The Independent Group
This Edwyn Collins produced 90’s release passed me by at the time, but it contains a track, Passing Thought, that is pretty breathtaking.

Sons & Fascination / Sister Feeling Call – Simple Minds
S&F is a great album. One of my faves from that era. And those two opening tracks from SFC – Theme For Great Cities and The American – are right up there, too. I still find it hard to listen to Theme...without making my own songs over the top of it though!

Sticky Soul Fingers (A Rolling Stones Tribute) – V/A
What it says on the label. Sticky Fingers tracks (and Angie!) given the soul treatment. Strangely enjoyable!

Also...
Trans-Love Energies - Death In Vegas

S/T - The Modern Lovers

S/T – The Move

Wish You Well – The Orphins

In Fine Style: 1973-1979 - Augustus Pablo

Off Duty + Boat Trip – Sun Araw

154 - Wire

Turns And Strokes - Wire

Red Barked Tree – Wire

The Black Session - Wire

BBC 6 Session - Wire
Chaosmonger
977 posts

Nov 28, 2011, 00:31
Last few days:
Mad River - s/t
The Beach Boys - The Smile Sessions
Popol Vuh - Nosferatu OST
The Crown - Eternal Death
Forbidden - Twisted Into Form
Morbid Angel - Blessed are the Sick
Ennio Morricone - The Good, the Bad & The Ugly OST
anthonyqkiernan
anthonyqkiernan
7087 posts

Nov 28, 2011, 10:40
keith a wrote:
This Edwyn Collins produced 90’s release passed me by at the time, but it contains a track, Passing Thought, that is pretty breathtaking.

Must dig that album out again. My understanding is that Quinn is very unwell (MS?) with Alan Horne serving as his full time carer these days. Shame
keith a
9574 posts

Nov 28, 2011, 11:10
anthonyqkiernan wrote:
keith a wrote:

Must dig that album out again. My understanding is that Quinn is very unwell (MS?) with Alan Horne serving as his full time carer these days. Shame

Not got the albums, but Passing Thought - written by Collins & Kirk apparently - is on Will I Ever Be Inside Of You (although it *may* be a different version as i-tunes lists the ep version as 'version 1').

But give that track a whirl. When Quinn sings "one more tear won't make no difference to the rain" it's beautiful stuff.

Seven minutes of sheer bliss.

And yes, I think you're right re Quinn being unwell. I'd heard similar things.
Gnomon
Gnomon
1121 posts

Nov 28, 2011, 11:20
There's stuff on iTunes? Wow! There's something to fill my evening with tonight. Thanks for that Keith.
The album comes up so rarely on eBay that I'd sort of given up hope...
I have the Bourgie Bourgie 7" Breaking Point which is an absolute classic. His voice is beautiful. Also have the two singles with Edwyn and the one with Vince Clark. Again, his voice is breath-takingingly rich. Epic stuff indeed.

:o)
keith a
9574 posts

Nov 28, 2011, 11:39
Gnomon wrote:
There's stuff on iTunes? Wow! There's something to fill my evening with tonight. Thanks for that Keith.
The album comes up so rarely on eBay that I'd sort of given up hope...
I have the Bourgie Bourgie 7" Breaking Point which is an absolute classic. His voice is beautiful. Also have the two singles with Edwyn and the one with Vince Clark. Again, his voice is breath-takingingly rich. Epic stuff indeed.

:o)

Oops!! Sorry, that was probably misleading. I meant when I played my physical copy through i-tunes. It's not available in the store, alas.
I managed to buy a copy of the ep last week but the albums aren't cheap at the moment.

Other than this the only PQ stuff I've got is pretty much the same as you, except I don't have the Vince one. The version of Pale Blue Eyes has been a major re-discovery for me in recent years.
Squid Tempest
Squid Tempest
8769 posts

Edited Nov 28, 2011, 13:52
Nov 28, 2011, 13:50
Bit busy, so just a quick list...

Solus 3 - Corner of the World
Been lovely hearing this on my iPod this last week. Ace.

Throbbing Gristle - 20 Jazz Funk Greats, Heathen Earth
These remasters are really good, nice packaging too. Going to have to get more of them. Gristle for xmas? Yes please!

Mugstar - Serra remixes.
Bloody brilliant slab of green vinyl. My most played record of the week.

White Hills - Live at Roadburn
Fierce! Splendidly wild live performance, love it.

Graham parker - Heat Treatment
Utopia - Ra, Opps! Wrong Planet
Todd Rundgren - A Wizard a True Star
The Bevis Frond - The Leaving of london
Cave - Neverendless
Rick Wakeman - Journey to the Centre of the Earth (haha! great!)
The Cramps - Off the Bone
Rick Wakeman - 6 Wives of Henry VIII

Lots of avant garde electronic stuff from here:
http://wolffifth.blogspot.com/search/label/Philips%20Prospective
Check it out.
anthonyqkiernan
anthonyqkiernan
7087 posts

Nov 28, 2011, 13:51
I understand he did some stuff with Davey Fire-Engines bloke too
Pages: 4 – [ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ] Add a reply to this topic