Soundtracks of Our Lives week ending 16 October 2011 CE

Pages: 3 – [ Previous | 1 2 3 ]
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
machineryelf
3681 posts

Re: Soundtracks of Our Lives week ending 16 October 2011 CE
Oct 17, 2011, 11:12
riverman wrote:
Bong - Beyond Ancient Space: I think this is stunning. Went to see them on Friday in a Stoke Newington church and bought the cd there. Its subtitled 'Unsere Kosmiche Musik' and that's spot on. Heavy drone but the 'sitar' (it's not a sitar but can't remember the name of the instrument), Loopian (shimmering) guitar, and great rhythm section make this a v trippy affair; great for headphones in the dark, yet also danceable!

missed Bong [a whole bunch of other folk] at the Tusk festival last week because of work, and looks like I'll miss them again at the end of Oct for the same reason, might have to call in some favours for that if I can, I would recommend the Bethmoora EP ,Live at Roadburn & the Gilgamesh Lives cds , all top quality
also from Infinite Exchange if it's still available the 'Is that the light I see......or the gleam in the devils eye' which is a drum free Bong
http://arequestforvolume.wordpress.com/bong-long-live-the-time-of-gilgamesh/ lots of Bong info
http://www.blackest-rainbow.moonfruit.com/#/available-cdrscds/4523430801 Gilgamesh Lives available from Blackest Rainbow for £3 [bargain]
there is a rough & ready 3 cd live set available
http://mutant-ape.co.uk/acatalog/CD_Releases.html
if you really want to OD on slow and heavy

for my own listening it's been
Klaus Schulze - La Vie Electronique vols 1-4
UFO - The Chrysalis Years
Kate Bush - Hounds of Love
Jonny Cash - At San Quentin
Swans - My Father Will guide Me Up a Rope.....
mingtp
mingtp
2270 posts

Oct 17, 2011, 15:31
Albums

VA - Jarvis Cocker Supports Finders Keepers: Make Do & Mend Vol. 1
VA - Demdike Stare Supports Finders Keepers: Make Do & Mend Vol. 2
VA - David Holmes Supports Finders Keepers: Make Do & Mend Vol. 3
VA - Gruff Rhys Supports Finders Keepers: Make Do & Mend Vol. 4
VA - Wolf People Mix 2010 (a hippified festival promo mix that the band sent me ages ago)
Kammerflimmer Kollektief - Wildling (recommended)
VA - MGMT Late Night Tales
Judas Priest - Single Cuts
Ben Sommers - Avocado Chip (recommended)
Exitmusic - From Silence EP
Psychic Ills - Hazed Dream (highly recommended - listened to this a lot)
Jean-Claude Vannier - Roses Red Rouge
Jean-Claude Vannier - Electro Rapide
VA - Bollywood Bloodbath
Religious Knives - Smokescreen (in the queue)
The Bevis Frond - The Leaving of London (in the queue)
Myrmyr - Fire Star
VA - DJ Format and The Simonsound Paris DJs Mix
Moon Duo - Horror Tour EP
Kammerflimmer Kollektief - Jinx
Nordic Nomadic - Worldwide Skyline
Nile - Worship the Animal
T2 - It'll All Work Out in Boomland

Tracks

Veronica Falls - Found Love in a Graveyard
The Chills - Pink Frost
Gene Clark - No Other / Assorted tracks
Jah Wobble & Julie Campbell - Tightrope
John Zorn - The Eternals
Valve
Valve
1736 posts

Oct 17, 2011, 15:33
Jonny Kearney & Lucy Farrell - Kite
Lucy has the sweetest English voice and Jonny writes terrific songs and Adrian McNally of Unthanks fame produces with hints of Tom Waits and Robert Wyatt.

Nick Lowe - The Old Magic
Title says it all, no more, no less. I Read Alot is my favourite track.

Patti Smith - Outside Society
I never thought of Patti Smith as “a singer”. I suppose it’s ‘cause when she first emerged it was as a poet/artist and her involvement in music was almost as ‘outsider art’. But by the time she gets to People Have The Power she’s right up there with Grace Slick. Note: Gloria is not to be played loud on a car stereo on the M1 when you’re trying to keep to the speed limit. Quick, flick to Nick Lowe and settle back into the slow lane.
Moon Cat
9577 posts

Oct 17, 2011, 15:50
Kentauren wrote:
Siena Root: Different realities

I really like that album. Have you got anything else by them?
Kentauren
Kentauren
27 posts

Oct 17, 2011, 19:04
Moon Cat wrote:
Kentauren wrote:
Siena Root: Different realities

I really like that album. Have you got anything else by them?

I haven´t heard and don´t own any of their other albums, but I think that you can listen to them on spotify and/or grooveshark.
riverman
riverman
845 posts

Oct 17, 2011, 20:06
redfish365 wrote:
riverman wrote:
Bong - Beyond Ancient Space: I think this is stunning. Went to see them on Friday in a Stoke Newington church and bought the cd there. Its subtitled 'Unsere Kosmiche Musik' and that's spot on. Heavy drone but the 'sitar' (it's not a sitar but can't remember the name of the instrument), Loopian (shimmering) guitar, and great rhythm section make this a v trippy affair; great for headphones in the dark, yet also danceable!

Ah, I ordered this just yesterday and can't wait to get it. Your words have upper my anticipation - which was already very high based on their live album - into the stratosphere!
Can't wait!
I also ordered the new Barn Owl and a handful of other goodies.

Oh god, well, I hope you like it as much as I do!
riverman
riverman
845 posts

Oct 17, 2011, 20:10
machineryelf wrote:
riverman wrote:

missed Bong [a whole bunch of other folk] at the Tusk festival last week because of work, and looks like I'll miss them again at the end of Oct for the same reason, might have to call in some favours for that if I can, I would recommend the Bethmoora EP ,Live at Roadburn & the Gilgamesh Lives cds , all top quality
also from Infinite Exchange if it's still available the 'Is that the light I see......or the gleam in the devils eye' which is a drum free Bong
http://arequestforvolume.wordpress.com/bong-long-live-the-time-of-gilgamesh/ lots of Bong info
http://www.blackest-rainbow.moonfruit.com/#/available-cdrscds/4523430801 Gilgamesh Lives available from Blackest Rainbow for £3 [bargain]
there is a rough & ready 3 cd live set available
http://mutant-ape.co.uk/acatalog/CD_Releases.html
if you really want to OD on slow and heavy

Thanks for the info. I think I'll chase up the Gilgamesh release - £3 sounds a bargain!
Chaosmonger
977 posts

Oct 20, 2011, 01:41
Manes - first 2 demos
Beastie Boys - Paul's Boutique
A Tribe Called Quest - People's Instinctive Travels...
Dodheimsgard - Supervillain Outcast
The Fall - Slates
Taake - Nattestid...
Pages: 3 – [ Previous | 1 2 3 ] Add a reply to this topic

Unsung Forum Index