9577 posts

Re: Yikes! Gibson team up with Tea Party
Oct 13, 2011, 13:38
That made for quite unpleasant reading. 8^(
Kid Calamity
9045 posts

Oct 13, 2011, 13:52
I recently caught a bit of some Billy Connolly traveling about on his motorbike bollocks where he was visiting some anal obsessive who collected guitars.

It wasn't a museum. It wasn't for the public at all. In fact there was some secrecy about the guy's gaff. It seemed to me to be purely and simply a display of some guy's obsessive greed. All those fantastic guitars and nobody could enjoy them. Just a fuckin' waste.
Popel Vooje
5373 posts

Oct 13, 2011, 14:07
Never thought I'd say this, but I'm now glad that my Tokai Les Paul is just a replica.

Never saw the point of paying an extra £500 premium for an established name when you can get replica guitars that sound and look just as good and last for the same amount of time anyway.
Kid Calamity
9045 posts

Oct 13, 2011, 14:37
Probably made on a production line by endangered baby pandas.
Lawrence
9547 posts

Oct 13, 2011, 14:41
Ehh, I dunno about you but I prefer Fender. Gibsons are a bit too large for me really.
Lawrence
9547 posts

Oct 13, 2011, 14:43
Right. It probably only matters for show-offs for the most part. I mean, it's just a piece of wood with strings on it.
Piquiod
Piquiod
525 posts

Oct 13, 2011, 18:07
my lefty Epiphone Sunburst Les Paul standard has a beautiful carved flametop, w/ white binding...looks just like a Gibson...It is gorgeous. I did replace it with better Gibson pickups (the guitar is ace, but the old pickups sucked)...I love it.
I've also heard that the higher end Epi's are better than the lower end Gibsons. (the cheapy Gibson les Pauls for $600 don't have any of the nuance, glitz or style of the Epi's...now, the Epi LP-100's are definitely cheap looking, no binding, no carved top...I'd avoid those.
But...no matter, unless you have the chops and desire to play, it doesn't matter what the instrument is. its whats in you, not on the headstock that counts.
Mart
Mart
214 posts

Oct 15, 2011, 11:08
Popel Vooje wrote:
Never thought I'd say this, but I'm now glad that my Tokai Les Paul is just a replica.

You've got a Tokai ? You do realise that a lot of Tokais are considered better than the originals. My mates got a Tokai Breezy Sound, best Telecaster i've ever played.
Popel Vooje
5373 posts

Oct 15, 2011, 11:34
Mart wrote:
Popel Vooje wrote:

You've got a Tokai ? You do realise that a lot of Tokais are considered better than the originals. My mates got a Tokai Breezy Sound, best Telecaster i've ever played.

No, I wasn't aware that they're considered better - but at the time I bought it I was playing in a band with someone who had a vintage Gibson Les Paul that I've since seen selling for £2000 in mint condition, and my Tokai - which I paid just over £500 for - certainly didn't sound noticeably inferior to his. Stays in tune very well too.
Pages: 2 – [ 1 2 | Next ] Add a reply to this topic

Unsung Forum Index