Soundtracks of Our Lives week ending 2 October 2011 CE

Pages: 4 – [ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ]
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
Dog 3000
Dog 3000
4611 posts

Re: Soundtracks of Our Lives week ending 2 October 2011 CE
Oct 03, 2011, 02:33
Haven't done one of these weekly reports for awhile . . .

Rocket From The Tombs "Barfly" -- new one (vinyl only so far?) Needs more listenings but my initial impression is it's a "more David Thomas than RFTT" record (could almost be Pere Ubu taking a turn towards their rawky roots.) But I like Thomas hugely, so that's not a bad thing.

Mr. Free & The Satellite Freakout "Guru Gaga" -- saw these guys play live the other night (opening for Bob Log III) and had to pick up their album. "Punky proggy gypsy jamband"?! Record comes across a little "busy" but they have a very impressive live show (good playing, crazy singer antics).

H.P. Lovecraft (s/t debut) -- recent vinyl find, not bad for "second tier" psych.

Blue Oyster Cult "On Your Feet Or On Your Knees" -- I don't even remember buying this, so was surprised to find it in my collection! A bit warped with a 50-cent sticker, I guess it must have been part of a big bargain hunting haul that got filed and overlooked. Something about it sounds a little forced (the studio versions sound better to me), but "Born To Be Wild" at the end is totally nuts!!

Sun Araw "Ancient Romans" -- I find it pleasant listening, not sure why this isn't working for some folks? I guess it's a bit "easier" or "mellower" or something? (I like an easygoing mellow so again is OK by me.)

Stephen Malkmus "Mirror Traffic" -- some nice melodies & funny one-liners, but I wish it rocked a lot more than it does.

Film:

"Roller Boogie" starring Linda Blair!! -- I love just about any cheesy 70's film, the more trendy and dated the better. This was not as good as "Can't Stop The Music" (Village People disco classic), but what is?

"Who is Harry Nilsson (And Why Is Everybody Talkin' About Him)?" -- Interesting documentary, probably moreso if you aren't already a big fan as I am not. But feel I should pick up a couple of his records now -- the first one & "Schmilsson"? (Which one has "Jump In The Fire"?)

Book:

"Cosmik Debris" by Greg Russo which is an insanely detailed compendium of Zappa facts.
1001realapes
1001realapes
2389 posts

Oct 03, 2011, 02:34
redfish365 wrote:
I love Hammill's Chameleon in the Shadow of the Night... (In the) Black Room is dynamite and Rock and Role kills... as do most of the others. Then again I'm a sucker for most anything Hammill or VdGG related...

Regarding the new Opeth... are the vocals clean or more "death metal-like" this go around?

No Death vocals on this one , a bit progy , a bit folky , even a smattering of
Jazz influence
IanB
IanB
6761 posts

Edited Oct 03, 2011, 08:41
Oct 03, 2011, 08:34
Squid Tempest wrote:
Crikey - just had look for Wings Over America, seems to be going for silly money...

I wonder why. Maybe he listened to it and realised that in large chunks of it they sound like the Rich Kids back playing the Nashville and moonlighting as a "Cheap Trick Live At Budokan" tribute act.

I mean that kindly but many wouldn't!
IanB
IanB
6761 posts

Edited Oct 03, 2011, 08:40
Re: Steve Wilson?
Oct 03, 2011, 08:36
1001realapes wrote:
IanB wrote:
What's the Steve Wilson like?

A bit like post Animals Floyd, as the material gets less interesting his voice and his production style is starting to drive me up the wall! Still, always open to a return to form.

I recommend the solo albums over the last
couple PT albums , much more interesting
to me these days

Remainder The Black Dog from Grace For Drowning

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DevSBj_iF4A

Thanks. That's rather nice. I got the last one and quite liked it and, as you say, it was more likeable than any PT album for quite some time. PT seems to have done a Roger Waters and abandonded melody for unmemorable gravitas!

For music in that vein the Redbus Noface (ex Cardiac goes solo) record kicks any other recent releases I have heard well into touch. Although I believe it was decade or so in the making it sonds incredibly fresh and I actually like it better than the Opeth record. Which is saying something!
Toni Torino
2299 posts

Oct 03, 2011, 08:55
keith a wrote:

Hard – Gang Of Four

I hate that album! Haven't heard it for a few years, mind.

Big Audio Dynamite - This Is Big Audio Dynamite
Ted Hawkins - Watch Your Step
Roll The Dice - In Dust
Stereolab - Dots And Loops
Julian Cope - Interpreter
Underworld - A Hundred Days Off
keith a
9574 posts

Oct 03, 2011, 09:05
Toni Torino wrote:
keith a wrote:

Hard – Gang Of Four

I hate that album! Haven't heard it for a few years, mind.

I think most folk do! Well maybe not hate, but it's considered a bit of a poor relation to the earlier ones, isn't it.

Me? I really like it!

I liked it a lot back at the time but hadn't heard it in years till earlier this year. As I posted last time round, I suspect that if you played something like It Don’t Matter to someone who didn’t know it they’d probably think it was Heaven 17. Who I was never much of a fan of tbh. But I love tracks Is It Love and A Man With A Good Car. And playing it again over the weekend - I enjoyed it even more. Sara Lee's bass playing is great.

I fully accept that I'm probably in a minority, mind!
Toni Torino
2299 posts

Oct 03, 2011, 09:30
It was the 1st Gang Of Four album I'd heard and owned. It just wasn't what I expected. I did like 'A Man With A Good Car as well, and 'Independence' (independence ain't dependence") but disliked (ok, not hated...) 'I Fled' and 'Woman Town', bland funk IIRC. I can't remember the other tracks. I'll have to investigate again, Godammit!
The Sea Cat
The Sea Cat
3608 posts

Oct 03, 2011, 11:05
IanB wrote:
McCartney II

Excellent shout this by someone(SeaCat was it?) Could the long overdue McCartney revival / reapraisal finally be nigh?

That credit goes entirely to Tone!

Pink Floyd: Piper/Saucer remasters.
Paul McCartney: s/t 1 & 2, Band On The Run, Wingspan.
Dave & Toni Arthur: Hearken To the Witches Rune
Graham Bond: Holy Magick
Litte Richard: Greatest Hits
Mike Oldfield: Incantations
The Fugs: Second Album
Julian Cope: Autogeddon/Interpreter
Albert Ayler: Spirits Rejoice
Joe Henderson feat. Alice Coltrane: The Elements
keith a
9574 posts

Oct 03, 2011, 11:47
I'm quite partial to Woman Town!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hdkC6eck7eM
Squid Tempest
Squid Tempest
8769 posts

Oct 03, 2011, 12:30
What 1001 said. Vox are clean, not a cookie monster in sight!

It's a cracking album. It makes me think of Mars Volta only with actual emotion and feeling and decent songs instead of muso wankery. It rocks in places, but it is also pastoral, jazzy, and gorgeous.
Pages: 4 – [ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ] Add a reply to this topic

Unsung Forum Index