Hunter T Wolfe
Hunter T Wolfe
1710 posts

Re: Soundtracks of Our Lives week ending 11 September 2011 CE ♥
Sep 12, 2011, 15:47
Cats Eyes- S/T

Roedilius Schneider- Stunden

Fairport Convention- Unhalfbricking

Top of the Pops volume 74 (very scratchy £1 charity shop buy just to hear the legendary / notorious version of PIL's 'Death Disco' thereon. Which is actually too faithful to be funny).

The House of Love- A Spy in the House of Love

V/A- Great Expectations. The Family Cat and Belly sounded better than I remembered; Kingmaker pretty much as bad as I thought they were. Thanks to JP Lamptoast-Morsley for these last two, by the way.

Bert Jansch- Nicola

Wolf People- Steeple

Wooden Shjips- West

Mott the Hoople- Mott

Pink Floyd- Total Eclipse disc one
Toni Torino
2299 posts

Sep 12, 2011, 16:33
mingtp wrote:
Toni Torino wrote:
Lionrock - An Instinct For Detection
Propellorheads - Decksanddrumsandrockandroll
Bentley Rhythm Ace - Bentley Rhythm Ace

Wow, big beat. Aah the memories.

Heh, the sound of Big Beat grrrr!!

A bit hit and miss, when they hit, Big Beat, when they missed, it'd take yer arm off. I forgot to add Midfield General.
jb lamptoast-morsley
jb lamptoast-morsley
2448 posts

Sep 12, 2011, 16:54
Oh, I didn't realise it was called that... no title on the tape
paradox
paradox
1576 posts

Sep 12, 2011, 18:07
I have a soft spot for London Conversation.

To my ears it has a certain charm, although certainly not classic J.M.,and it definitely doesn't give any indication of the greatness to come.
But, I just really like the feel of it.
IanB
IanB
6761 posts

Edited Sep 12, 2011, 19:09
Sep 12, 2011, 19:06
paradox wrote:
I have a soft spot for London Conversation.

To my ears it has a certain charm, although certainly not classic J.M.,and it definitely doesn't give any indication of the greatness to come.
But, I just really like the feel of it.

I remembered it quite fondly but it didn't do a lot for me this time around. Not bad at all just a bit more derivative - of Roy Harper mainly to my ears - than the classic 70s albums. I had actually forgotten about both those pre Bev n John albums until I got them all out for an airing. The later stuff (everything after Grace and Danger really) just made me really sad. There were a few where I couldn't get past a couple of songs - especially all that faux Clapton / Weller besuited, lite bluesman stuff. The cover of Glory Box is good though.
FifePsy
FifePsy
540 posts

Sep 12, 2011, 20:32
redfish365 wrote:
Roscoe Mitchell is always interesting and worth a listen.
He's underappreciated... nice to see him getting some love, Unsung-style!

Thanks Redfish. You might also find this interesting. Got this from the Nels Cline mailing list recently. A Kickstarter project (not come across this before) for a concert that is taking place in honour of Roscoe Mitchell. (Nels Cline does the pitch).

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/340841444/a-tribute-to-roscoe-mitchell-at-the-angel-city-jaz

'Roscoe’s trio with percussionist William Winant and woodwind player James Fei will perform a new piece that Roscoe has written for the occasion. In addition, percussionist Alex Cline will lead an all-star ensemble in a special performance of Roscoe’s landmark composition People in Sorrow, featuring eleven distinguished musicians including saxophonist Oliver Lake, vocalist Dwight Trible, pianist Myra Melford, harpist Zeena Parkins, and bassist Mark Dresser'.

Obviously no way I could attend the concert but it looks an interesting way of funding projects like this. One of the pledges gets you the CD of the evening when its recorded.
FifePsy
FifePsy
540 posts

Sep 12, 2011, 20:37
IanB wrote:
FifePsy wrote:

Roscoe Mitchell - Far Side. Pretty superb, newish ECM release from Art Ensemble legend recorded live with great bunch of young players.

Lester Bowie - The Great Pretender. Mitchell's album made me want to dig this out again. Another great AEC offshoot recording (Also on ECM).

Brilliant records both. The Art Ensemble of Chicago are the most criminally unsung ensemble. People rave on about the classic Miles band, the Coltrane Quartet with Tyner and Garrison and Jones, the Arkestra, various versions of the Ellington Orchestra and Mingus' many bands but for me this lot represented the absolute pinnacle of the improvisational arts. Anyone with an interest in Free Jazz or in any kind of small group music in any genre from string quartets to power trios should at very least hear the live record "Urban Bushmen" (also on ECM). These are in the same class I think.

Completely with you there Ian. (Still have my vinyl copy of Urban Bushmen).
Popel Vooje
5373 posts

Sep 12, 2011, 21:02
Daminxa wrote:
Yes indeed! Tis a really good over-view of the whole scene for someone like me who had never heard of any German band other than Kraftwerk but a few years ago! Perfect driving music and electronic kid-calmer!

Yes - it's a good enough mixture of the obscure and the obvious to make it worth buying for both novices and folk who've been exploring the genre for years. I was surprised how much of it I didn't already own, and by the quality of the stuff I didn't already own.
Pages: 5 – [ Previous | 1 2 3 4 5 ] Add a reply to this topic

Unsung Forum Index