Soundtracks of Our Lives week ending 11 September 2011 CE ♥

Pages: 5 – [ Previous | 1 2 3 4 5 | Next ]
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
redfish365
redfish365
710 posts

Re: Soundtracks of Our Lives week ending 11 September 2011 CE ♥
Sep 11, 2011, 23:57
Roscoe Mitchell is always interesting and worth a listen.
He's underappreciated... nice to see him getting some love, Unsung-style!
Moon Cat
9577 posts

Edited Sep 12, 2011, 02:25
Sep 12, 2011, 02:21
"Louder Than Bombs – The Smiths
A compilation that seemed a real cash-in at the time, but ultimately proved a great way to get loads of great a and b-sides in one place. I've been playing London loads lately."

That was my first Smiths purchase proper although I had been bombarded by them (in a nice way) by a Morrissey fixated girl on my course at college back in the day. I remember getting it in HMV Liverpool (86-7?) and it was really cheap on double vinyl even for the time. I think it was £3.99! It is, as you infer, one of the most fullsome and enjoyable compilations. It's the most like a proper, necessary companion piece to the albums of all the ensuing compilations I'd say.
Toni Torino
2299 posts

Edited Sep 12, 2011, 09:02
Sep 12, 2011, 09:01
Laurent Garnier - Unreasonable Behaviour
Lionrock - An Instinct For Detection
Propellorheads - Decksanddrumsandrockandroll
Hatikvah - Synchronicity
Low Bias - The Ash And The Oak
Rome Pays Off - There's No Simple Explanation
Bentley Rhythm Ace - Bentley Rhythm Ace
keith a
9574 posts

Sep 12, 2011, 09:11
Moon Cat wrote:

It is, as you infer, one of the most fullsome and enjoyable compilations. It's the most like a proper, necessary companion piece to the albums of all the ensuing compilations I'd say.

Absolutely. I didn't buy it at the time because I'd bought the 45's, but at my time of life I can't be getting up and down to change a record all the time! ; )
Squid Tempest
Squid Tempest
8769 posts

Sep 12, 2011, 11:02
Not had much time to do this lately, so I'm bound to miss a few out.

Master Musicians of Bukkake - Totem 3
Utterly fab and wonderful. Must get the other Totems now.

Hawkwind - Parallel Universe
Great compilation featuring quite a few unreleased tracks and different takes. I really rate this.

Penguin Cafe Orchestra - A History
4 CDs of nice stuff. I particularly like CDs 2 and 3. Perhaps not such a cohesive comp as the above Hawkwind one.

Wire - Pink Flag
XTC - Go 2, Drums and Wires
Paul McCartney - II
Deep Purple - Come Taste The Band
Rainbow - Rising
Yes - Tales From Topographic Oceans
Genesis - Lamb Lies Down On Broadway
Bebop Deluxe - Drastic Plastic
David Bowie - Pin Ups

Various bits of Bill Bruford's Earthworks
After reading his autobiography. Can't say I'm that sold on his Earthworks stuff. To my ears it sounds too much like someone trying to play jazz but not really inhabiting the music.

King Crimson - Discipline, Red, Larks Tongues
machineryelf
3681 posts

Sep 12, 2011, 12:22
finally replaced all my Deep Purple vinyl with cd, can see why I left Who Do They Think They Are & Concerto For Group & Orchestra 'til the end, really let down by Gillan doing Hush on the extra disc of Concerto but the rest of the bunch make up for it, much Purple played this week
filling in the spaces between

Delphic Vapours new Cd , rather good if somewhat difficult to find the bonus download

Johnny Kidd & The Pirates best of & The Pirates at the BBC, hardly reinventing the wheel but Mick Green is something else

Neil Young - Rust Never Sleeps & Zuma

PJ Harvey - White Chalk & Let England Shake

Grave Temple - The Holy Down

Iron Maiden -The Final Frontier

& a bunch of Boris & Billy Bragg stuff
anthonyqkiernan
anthonyqkiernan
7087 posts

Edited Sep 12, 2011, 12:51
Sep 12, 2011, 12:50
Hank Williams III released four albums this week.

Ghost To A Ghost/Gutter Town - Hank III
Double header showcasing the more trad side. First one, the easier country side. The second leaning towards the ragin' Cajun. Also featuring a rather smashing duet with Tom Waits. There's a lost of it.

Attention Deficit Domination - Hank III
The doom metal album. Recorded with Hank playing all the instruments. And, it shows. Very much a home-recording multitracked vibe to it. Lack of dynamicism. Shame

3 Bar Ranch: Cattle Callin' - Hank III
This is mental. Well, half of it is. Taking recordings of auctioneers from the local cattle market and setting them to heavy metal riffs. It's barking. Unfortunately, he can't let a good thing lie and feels the need to feature the tracks twice, second time with him singning over the top. These really don't work as well as the one's without. Reminds me of he Buttholes at it's best

Red State Sessions - Michael Parks
Inspired by his Phelps-based character in the movie Red State, 'troublesome' actor and friend of Johnny Cash doing stripped back spirituals. Niiiiiiiice

True Grit OST - Carter Burwell
I love Burwell's work with the Coens. Add to that gospel themes done proper widescreen western stylee and I'm in hog heaven.
Daminxa
Daminxa
1415 posts

Sep 12, 2011, 13:10
Yes indeed! Tis a really good over-view of the whole scene for someone like me who had never heard of any German band other than Kraftwerk but a few years ago! Perfect driving music and electronic kid-calmer!
IanB
IanB
6761 posts

Edited Sep 12, 2011, 14:23
Sep 12, 2011, 14:17
FifePsy wrote:

Roscoe Mitchell - Far Side. Pretty superb, newish ECM release from Art Ensemble legend recorded live with great bunch of young players.

Lester Bowie - The Great Pretender. Mitchell's album made me want to dig this out again. Another great AEC offshoot recording (Also on ECM).

Brilliant records both. The Art Ensemble of Chicago are the most criminally unsung ensemble. People rave on about the classic Miles band, the Coltrane Quartet with Tyner and Garrison and Jones, the Arkestra, various versions of the Ellington Orchestra and Mingus' many bands but for me this lot represented the absolute pinnacle of the improvisational arts. Anyone with an interest in Free Jazz or in any kind of small group music in any genre from string quartets to power trios should at very least hear the live record "Urban Bushmen" (also on ECM). These are in the same class I think.
mingtp
mingtp
2270 posts

Sep 12, 2011, 14:32
Toni Torino wrote:
Lionrock - An Instinct For Detection
Propellorheads - Decksanddrumsandrockandroll
Bentley Rhythm Ace - Bentley Rhythm Ace

Wow, big beat. Aah the memories.
Pages: 5 – [ Previous | 1 2 3 4 5 | Next ] Add a reply to this topic

Unsung Forum Index