Pages: 9 – [ Previous | 14 5 6 7 8 9 | Next ]
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
Robot Emperor
Robot Emperor
762 posts

Re: Music of the mad.
Aug 19, 2011, 21:19
The Sea Cat wrote:
I read somewhere that certain results from an ECG scan were identical in both poets and people with schizophrenia. Very interesting, and I also found this whilst doing some further research:

http://serendip.brynmawr.edu/exchange/node/1675

Hmmm. Take a step back. How likely is that? I doubt two poets would have identical ECG scan results. Say Philip Larkin and Roger McGough. Also cannot remember the mass compulsory brain scanning of poets being ordered. Sometimes think the internet should be banned.

This creative powerhouse of insanity thing we are getting into down here. Are you sure you are all happy with it?
FifePsy
FifePsy
540 posts

Aug 19, 2011, 22:58
Pursued By Trees wrote:
To tidy it all up a bit ... I reckon those of us who have even half an idea of just how fucked up we are are probably less fucked up than those who don't.

Brilliantly put.
FifePsy
FifePsy
540 posts

Edited Aug 19, 2011, 23:47
Aug 19, 2011, 23:31
Robot Emperor wrote:
This creative powerhouse of insanity thing we are getting into down here. Are you sure you are all happy with it?

Even Foucault, who (broadly!) argued that 'madness' became institutionalised with the birth of the asylum, which in turn legitimised the exercise of power by medical practitioners on 'the mad other' warns against the romanticism of madness where modern medicine is viewed to suppress natural genius.
IanB
IanB
6761 posts

Aug 20, 2011, 06:05
Robot Emperor wrote:
The Sea Cat wrote:
I read somewhere that certain results from an ECG scan were identical in both poets and people with schizophrenia. Very interesting, and I also found this whilst doing some further research:

Really not.
IanB
IanB
6761 posts

Edited Aug 20, 2011, 07:50
Aug 20, 2011, 07:35
Robot Emperor wrote:
Popel Vooje wrote:
Daminxa wrote:
That's true!

I wonder if we'll witness a mass outburst of eccentric creativity as a result of the recent cuts?

I was talking about this with a couple of friends in the pub last night - we were cautiously hoping that increasing levels of unemployment coupled with affordability of CDrs and home recording set-ups would lead to another creative explosion like the advent of post-punk in the late 70s and rave in the late 80s. As much as I'd like to believe that'll happen though, I'm not holding my breath.

Personally I'm willing to put up with shit music if we can get rid of the increasing levels of unemployment.

Indeed. Can't see it myself. I'll set aside the idea of Rave being a "creative explosion" as I really didn't hear that. Then again I didn't get (or take) the drugs de jour either.

Back in the Post Punk era people had restricted access to recording opportunities and you needed money to press records so (other than some well-heeled kiddies) only the most committed made it over those hurdles. You either had to find a label or find the money to go DIY.

The days when bands had to go in and make a single or an ep in a day focused the mind. Meant you had to have your shit together, to have honed your sound in rehearsal and really believe in what you were doing. It was rough and ready but those with a unique voice got through regardless of technical limitations of some crappy back street 16 track.

How different would say "Where Were You?" or "Damaged Goods" have been if the artsts had made them in Pro Tools and endlessly worked them over. Who wants to hear a quantised Mekons? I love the idea of records made under challenging circumstances. The world of Leisure Recording isn't especially good for the art I don't think.

Anyway the creative explosion is already happening. Incredible amounts of music are being released. Anyone with an idea and a few quid can make a "record" and have it "released". The problem is that these days there is this incredibly, broad based and flat pyramid where there are tens of thousands of acts all on the same sales level (zero basically), all getting similar micro amounts of attention and with few reliable filters to help separate the good and the great from the ho-hum and the risible. Word of mouth will take some artists over the hump but it's fairly random.

In 1978 - 1981 ish there were very few truly worthwhile artists with anything going for them who failed to get at least some attention from the media and / or indsutry even at the most localised indie level.

These days I am sure there are all sorts of brilliant arists lost in the babble of home recorded internet releases who will never have that opportunity. Of course the total absence of a new generation of reliable critics to throw light on the gems doesn't help either.

There is also the thing that a lot of indie labels, including many of those that you have heard of, have simply stopped marketing and promoting their artists in the old fashioned way. They sign a band and then leave them and the management to push the thing forward pretty much on their own. You might get an independent publicist or plugger if you are lucky but there are not the resources there were. It does rather mean that nearly always it is the bands with the sharpest elbows are the ones who are going the furthest fastest.
zphage
zphage
3378 posts

Edited Aug 20, 2011, 10:53
Aug 20, 2011, 10:50
The Sea Cat wrote:

These are the homework pages of a student in their sophmore(2nd)year
of college in the US using the internet as sources.

pubmed.gov might be a better source
The Sea Cat
The Sea Cat
3608 posts

Aug 20, 2011, 16:30
zphage wrote:
The Sea Cat wrote:

These are the homework pages of a student in their sophmore(2nd)year
of college in the US using the internet as sources.

pubmed.gov might be a better source

Back of the class for me then!

;
Hunter T Wolfe
Hunter T Wolfe
1707 posts

Aug 20, 2011, 21:11
IanB wrote:
Robot Emperor wrote:
Popel Vooje wrote:
Daminxa wrote:
That's true!

I wonder if we'll witness a mass outburst of eccentric creativity as a result of the recent cuts?

I was talking about this with a couple of friends in the pub last night - we were cautiously hoping that increasing levels of unemployment coupled with affordability of CDrs and home recording set-ups would lead to another creative explosion like the advent of post-punk in the late 70s and rave in the late 80s. As much as I'd like to believe that'll happen though, I'm not holding my breath.

Personally I'm willing to put up with shit music if we can get rid of the increasing levels of unemployment.

How different would say "Where Were You?" or "Damaged Goods" have been if the artsts had made them in Pro Tools and endlessly worked them over. Who wants to hear a quantised Mekons? I love the idea of records made under challenging circumstances. The world of Leisure Recording isn't especially good for the art I don't think.

Absolutely. The last thing we need is more people making records just because they've got nothing better to do. The truly driven will always find a way.
IanB
IanB
6761 posts

Edited Aug 21, 2011, 12:26
Aug 20, 2011, 21:28
Hunter T Wolfe wrote:
IanB wrote:
Robot Emperor wrote:
Popel Vooje wrote:
Daminxa wrote:
That's true!

Absolutely. The last thing we need is more people making records just because they've got nothing better to do. The truly driven will always find a way.

There is a fair amount of that and then there are people like Mark (Spaceship) and Black Tempest turning out music that is as good as anything else in the same genres.

I think I preferred the world when the main barrier to getting a record into the world was what you were personally prepared to do to make it happen. Now the sheer volume of releases, all of which are on a level playing field, that sell less than 100 copies for the most part (never mind 1000) is choking the pipe.

People being creative is fantastic (and I love the idea of a community of makers not just a community of listeners who take what is given to them) but for the consumer it is a bit of a nightmare. I think I read somewhere that there will be something like 100,000 new album releaes this year. Compared with 12,000 in the mid 80s. Who can hope to keep up? No reliable filters. That's the problem I think.
handofdave
handofdave
3515 posts

Aug 20, 2011, 21:53
IanB wrote:
think I read somewhere that there will be something like 100,000 new album releaes this year. Compared with 12,000 in the mid 80s. Who can hope to keep up? No reliable filters. That's the problem I think.

And that's why I'm hiring myself out as a hit man for the music industry. Soon as we can start thinning the herd a bit all will be back to normal.

;-D
Pages: 9 – [ Previous | 14 5 6 7 8 9 | Next ] Add a reply to this topic

Unsung Forum Index