Music of the mad.

Pages: 9 – [ Previous | 14 5 6 7 8 9 | Next ]
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
Hunter T Wolfe
Hunter T Wolfe
1701 posts

Re: Music of the mad.
Aug 18, 2011, 18:24
Thanks! Are you seeing Copey in Brighton in October?
Pursued By Trees
Pursued By Trees
1135 posts

Edited Aug 18, 2011, 22:08
Aug 18, 2011, 21:50
Indeed!

I have long suspected that the more sane amoung us are those who have a degree of struggle with the state of their sanity.

That almost sounds like it makes some kind of sense ... until the inverse paradox arrives, which indicates that those who have never struggled with their mental health are probably among the maddest fuckers going.

It probably says a lot about the state of my own sanity that this makes sense to me too.

To tidy it all up a bit ... I reckon those of us who have even half an idea of just how fucked up we are are probably less fucked up than those who don't.
Five
Five
960 posts

Aug 18, 2011, 23:14
Pursued By Trees wrote:
I reckon those of us who have even half an idea of just how fucked up we are are probably less fucked up than those who don't.

amen
head-first
head-first
214 posts

Aug 18, 2011, 23:36
For better or for worse, much of the medication given to people with severe mental illness will undermine their ability to be creative. I've worked on psych wards, and instilling a state of apathy was usually seen as preferable to one where a patient might be mentally active, but a danger to themselves or others.
Five
Five
960 posts

Aug 19, 2011, 00:46
head-first wrote:
For better or for worse, much of the medication given to people with severe mental illness will undermine their ability to be creative. I've worked on psych wards, and instilling a state of apathy was usually seen as preferable to one where a patient might be mentally active, but a danger to themselves or others.

Ever read DEMON BOX by Ken Kesey? It's short "fiction" and essays, of which the title piece is sorta both and it deals with the topic of over-medication as being more a way to "process" more "units" (units = patients) without damaging the staff, than it is especially a healing process. That said, it's probably better than a lobotomy.
ToneStone
ToneStone
1768 posts

Aug 19, 2011, 01:28
Hehehehe thats what you get for living with London's main suppliers of Crystal Methedrine.
handofdave
handofdave
3515 posts

Aug 19, 2011, 02:25
Robot Emperor wrote:
handofdave wrote:
Check out my late friend Peter's music (free) and tell me what you think... The title track on Lavender Mindblast is a document of a trip state expressed on synthesizer.

The 'Mother Bodfish' material is the most dipped-in-mad of the bunch.

http://www.peterhcummings.com

Cheers for that Dave. On a cursory listen sounds great, no matter where Peter was at when he made it. My listening at work today sorted. Liked "Old Lady Song" a lot.

Thanks for listening. He was great at writing and recording them... terrible at taking them public.

"See the man with the stage fright" -The Band
Five
Five
960 posts

Aug 19, 2011, 02:39
handofdave wrote:

Thanks for listening. He was great at writing and recording them... terrible at taking them public.

making music and performing music are definitely two arts that often don't and maybe shouldn't go hand in hand ... the people best suited to make the sounds often being the least suited for the lifestyle requisite, and vice versa
The Sea Cat
The Sea Cat
3608 posts

Aug 19, 2011, 09:34
I read somewhere that certain results from an ECG scan were identical in both poets and people with schizophrenia. Very interesting, and I also found this whilst doing some further research:

http://serendip.brynmawr.edu/exchange/node/1675
head-first
head-first
214 posts

Aug 19, 2011, 11:08
I haven't read that - thanks for the tip! Kesey was fascinated by the treatment of mental illness, wasn't he? He seemed to use it as a metaphor for wider social issues. The hospitals where he worked in the fifties would have had quite a brutal approach to psychiatry, but it's probably unfair to tarnish the whole system as repressive. I remember thinking that many people admitted to these wards were already a hostage of their illness; that their freedom was already restricted by not being in control.
Pages: 9 – [ Previous | 14 5 6 7 8 9 | Next ] Add a reply to this topic

Unsung Forum Index