70 messages
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
anthonyqkiernan
anthonyqkiernan
7087 posts

Re: Soundtracks Of Our Lives w/e 10th October 2010 CE
Oct 11, 2010, 11:57
The Just Joans - Your Pain Is A Joke Next To Mines
Not a set of McLusky covers. Unfortunately. Just another fantastic WeePop ep from Motherwell's finest. Lanarkshire's answer to the Magnetic Fields. If the line in Wee Helen Got Married about another piece of your childhood being dead doesn't hit you in the heart, you aint got one.

Michael Gira - I Am Singing To You From My Room
Trying to get my head round Gira & Swans in time for the gig in a fortnight. It's not really happening. Really like Angels of Light. But every time I listen to Swans I jsut get reminded why i never really paid any attention at the time. So, thought I'd try some solo Gira. Erm, it's the bloke from Swans with an acoustic guitar. I feel like an iterloper here. Kinda like the Mark Eitzel gig I went to where the wankier he was the more folk seemed to applaud him as a genius (hmmmm...who does that sound like...).

They better be bloody loud.

Momus - Hypnoprism
I kinda buy Momus records they way I buy The Fall's; becasue I HAVE to. You can never really tell what are the one's that will be any good, or - better - work their way into your head and stay with you.

This could be some of the best songs he's writ in a while. but, they're so underdone in a sort of bontempi music hall stylee (not as good as it sounds - the underdone bit is the relevent term here) that they almost don't exist. It's ephemeral, not ethereal. Someone got some autotune software for christmas and wants to show ir off, too. Of course, several listens in it's beginning to take root. But, will it get the others it needs to fully do so...

Goddamn you, sir.

Gordon Gano & The Ryans - Under The Sun
Had this since New Year. I'd given it a few spins and flagged it up as interesting but not essential. It was a chance happening upon the title track on random play that made me go back and check it all out. It just clicked this time.

No, it's not a Violent Femmes album (c'mon guys; kiss and make up - the world needs you). But, very little is. The mor/college rock (that's not a contadiction, is it) feel always put me off a bit. But, on revisiting, there's some pretty damn fine stuff (particularly that title track) on here. In fact, nothing duff. Here As A Guest strikes me as as close to a Lenny Cohen song Gano will ever get.

Certainly well worth a look if you are interested in anything he's done beyond Blister In The Sun.

The Phantom Band - The Wants
Maybe a little less intense than Checkmate Savage. A little. Loving this. Very pleased they've managed the difficult second album with such seeming ease. Everybody Knows It's True manages to be irritating and can't-get-enough at the same time. Like a good Frog Chorus. It's also got plenty moments that'll vindicate me to all those that looked at me as if I was an idot for calling them 'folky'.

Munly & The Lupercalians - Petr & The Wulf
"The real story of..." apparently. Everyone's favourite cadaver-faced Denverite with possibly his most accessible 'solo' album yet. Still his stuff seems very samey to me. He's one of them that I'm sure someone could put together a ten track compilation and it would be all you ever need. Until someone does, these eight are certainly a lot more toe-tappy than some of his previous stuff and damn fine. Just, not really anything new. IMO. Who knows where I'll be after a few more listens.
Topic Outline:

Unsung Forum Index