Topic View: Flat | Threaded
IanB
IanB
6761 posts

Edited Aug 23, 2010, 09:01
Re: Soundtracks Of Our Lives w/e 22 August 2010 CE
Aug 23, 2010, 08:27
El Trío De Omar Rodríguez-López "Ciencia De Los Inútiles"

Can't recommend this highly enough. Think in terms of a collaboration between an acoustic McLaughlin trio and Astrid Gilberto. Light and airy but challenging too. No kind of wallpaper and at under 40 minutes does not outstay its own ideas (like a good album should). Apart from Omar Rodríguez-López on guitars, Ximena Sariñana Rivera sings and plays piano, Aaron Cruz Bravo plays double bass. Rivera is just stunning. Will have to check her work out further. Anyone who has the confidence to call her own album "Mediocre" is alright with me. Other reference points would be the vocal tracks on Ornette's "Science Fiction" and the 70s David Murray record "Interboogieology" on Black Saint with the Portuguese singer whose name I forget. For non jazzers anyone with a taste for Hope Sandoval would get this I think.

It is early days still but I have long thought that Omar Rodriguez has the potential to be the Miles Davis of the rock guitar in terms of his use of space, fewer notes and sculptural phrasing. If he keeps working with people who are going to stretch him then there is no reason why not. Last time I saw TMV there was definitely a feeling in the ether that he is outgrowing the prog-metal format and that it just encourages him to over-play his hand.

Black Crowes "Croweology"

Still sounds like the best "classic rock" record of recent times.

Tortoise "Millions Now Living Will Never Die"
Elbow "Leaders Of The Free World"
Elbow "The Seldom Seen Kid"
Bryan Ferry "Lets Stick Together"
Ween "La Cucaracha"
Wishbone Ash - s/t
mingtp
mingtp
2270 posts

Aug 23, 2010, 11:41
Sin Agog wrote:
Dog 3000 wrote:
mingtp wrote:

The Free Design - The Now Sound Redesigned

What's this, a remix album or something?

(Tasiest vocal group of the 60's. The gals from Stereolab should pay them royalties!)

Didn't a member of The Free Design die recently?

Yes and yes. This comp / remix thing is from a few years ago and has got allsorts of people messing about with FD tunes. Details below.

The sadly departed member is Chris Dedrick.

The Now Sound tracklist funnily enough includes Stereolab:

1. Redesigned - Various Artists
2. Where Do I Go - Madlib
3. Umbrellas - Peanut Butter Wolf
4. Radio Break - Various Artists
5. Harve Daley Hix - Stereolab & The High Llamas
6. Don't Turn Away - Sharpshooters (1)
7. Crossover - Various Artists
8. 2002 A Hit Song - Geddes, Chris
9. I Found Love - Styrofoam & Sarah Shannon
10. Funk Design - Various Artists
11. Don't Cry Baby - Koshik & Dudley Perkins
12. Blowin' Bubbles - Various Artists
13. Kites Are Fun - Mellow
14. Girls Alone - Nobody & Ikey Owens
15. To A Black Boy - DJ Dangermouse & Murs
16. Proper Ornaments - Super Furry Animals
17. Elegy - Kid Koala & Dynamite D
18. Light My Fire - Various Artists
19. Dorian Benediction - Caribou
Moon Cat
9577 posts

Aug 23, 2010, 15:51
Greetings..

Alexander Tucker - Old Fog. Nice folk dronement type stuff

Rush - Snakes & Arrows. Awesome "We are RUSH!" return to form type album.

Prince - 20 Ten. V Princey Purpley.

Rick Wakeman - The Myths & Legends of King Arthur and the Knights of Round Table. Weird really cos this is routinely held up to be a great example of the indulgences of prog but it's quite a short, compact album. Overblown sure, but quite short. Anyhoo, much prog fromage but it holds a special place in the part of my heart that is still 8 years old and likes the pictures that go with the music on the album. Plus, watched Simon Armitage's top King Arthur prog on BBC4 which inspired a bit of Arthurian romance. And, Excalibur was on last night! Hail!

Mahavishnu Orchestra - The Lost Trident Sessions. Glad they were found!

King Crimson - Discipline / Beat / Three of a Perfect Pair. Had the urge to revisit the "Talking Heads" Crimson era. Some great music here. (Always fancied having a go on a Tony Levin Chapman Stick thing - looks like boingy fun.)

Grobschnitt - Ballerman. Up the Schnitters! Grob til you drop!

Curtis Mayfield - Best of 2cd. Lush.

T-Rex - Solid Gold. Comprehensive 3cd comp. Yay!

Ramesses - Take the Curse. Maximum doom!

Sun Dial - Acid Yantra. Ace.

Boris - Amplifier Worship. Indeed!

Plus some other stuff...

Have a nice week sonic screwdrivers! x
Squid Tempest
Squid Tempest
8769 posts

Aug 23, 2010, 16:08
High Wolf - Shangril L.A.
Really enjoying this. Trance inducing beats and lovely weird, tropical sounding loopy bits.

The Fall - Your Future Our Clutter
Just got this out of the library and first impressions are pretty good.

Robert Fripp - Network
Strange promo record I've had for ages with God Save the King/Under Heavy Manners on one side and North Star and Here Comes the Flood on the other. Very pleased I dug this out as I particularly like Under Heavy Manners, and otherwise I've only got them on cassette.

Led Zep - Presence and Physical Graffiti
David Bowie - Stage
Focus - Live at the Rainbow
WIshbone Ash - Argus
Daphne Oram - Oramics
Demdike Stare - Forest of Evil
Lots of Kosmik Radiation radio shows
Hawkwind - Warrior on the Edge of Time
Popel Vooje
5373 posts

Aug 23, 2010, 16:36
Skream - Outside the Box
Kaleidoscope - Tangerine Dream
Kaleidoscope - Faintly Blowing (Thanks, Sea Cat)
V/A - Cambodian Rocks
Bobb Trimble & the Crippled Dog Band - Life Beyond the Doghouse
Elizabeth Cotton - Shake Sugaree
The Pink Fairies - Up The Pinks (An Introduction)
The Moondogs - John Peel Sessions
Firehose - If'n
zerkalo
zerkalo
488 posts

Edited Aug 23, 2010, 19:00
Aug 23, 2010, 18:59
some tunes I've enjoyed this week

Chris Joss - Discotheque dancing
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=turqlNrUVao

Pierre Henry - Teen Tonic
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ew_P0QjRqF8

Alan Hawkshaw - Sweet Motion from Groupie Girl OST
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JdggZG8_WKo

Francoise Hardy - Comment te dire adieu
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s7wIzUOaJ4I

Juliette Gréco - La Javanaise
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zk26wHJCbP4

and Gainsbourg (vie heroique) OST album pretty much on constant rotation along with Initials SG, Melody Nelson, No2, Annees Psychedeliques, L'homme tete du choux after seeing the film last week)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X2LOvFPzGes
flashbackcaruso
1058 posts

Aug 24, 2010, 09:56
Spent a week in a country cottage on the North Downs, so my week's listening was largely tailored to my pastoral environment.

The Coral - Butterfly House (an improvement on the bland 'Roots & Echoes' but much of it still sounds more solid than inspired, although the bonus disc has some pleasingly eerie material)

Simian - Watch It Glow (the mini album which suggested an incredible promise that the two patchy albums only partially fulfilled)

The Heavy Blinkers - The Heavy Blinkers (from an era when every third album ripped off The Beach Boys, this is one of my favourites in this particular genre)

The Wicker Man - OST (Trunk Records version) (my all-time favourite pagan movie musical; this music/effects LP makes for a great listening experience, especially out in the English countryside)

Traffic - Mr Fantasy (this was an obvious album to take to a rural retreat)

Vashti Bunyan - Just Another Diamond Day (another album I can't be without when retreating into the countryside; Vashti's quiet songs given perfect accompaniment by the Joe Boyd all-stars make this a folk album like no other)

The Beach Boys - Smiley Smile (is this the least commercial album ever released by a major band?)

Belle & Sebastian - Fold Your Hands Child You Walk Like A Peasant (lightweight but strangely satisfying; see my Unsung review)

Mike Oldfield - Hergest Ridge (more bucolic delights; also gave his demo version a first play, an intriguingly exact template for the more orchestrated LP)

His Name Is Alive - Stars On ESP (soundtracking my summer for a 15th year; a collection of lovingly-detailed home recordings with a dreamy, summery vibe, with all the intros and outros chopped out so that it becomes one long medley. 'The Faust Tapes' for sunbathing to)
ratcni01
ratcni01
916 posts

Aug 24, 2010, 10:46
X:144 and SPS - clever contemporary british hip-hop
Dan Le Sac vs Scroobius Pip - more of the same

Jeffery Lewis - 12 Crass Songs

System Of A Down - Toxicity

Ozric Tentacles - Pungent Effulgent

Eminem - Relapse/Recovery

Dinosaur Jr - Bug
Zariadris
Zariadris
286 posts

Aug 24, 2010, 14:54
Sin Agog wrote:
[quote="Dog 3000"][quote="mingtp"]

EDIT: Here's my never-ever-to-be-reissued ultra-rare super-psychedelic find of the week: First Chips - Volume One. Mutant gonzo garage psyche pop at its finest, from '72.

Dude, thanks a ton for unearthing this. There are moments of strange beauty here, my favorite being the sparse, haunting String Band-like Me & My Lady, which seems to float in the same shadowy sound-space as Sand's Golem. A rare comparison, and a high compliment.

One of those mystifying, confidently self-realized lost albums, free of any simple category, that seem to gather strength from oblivion; their very obscurity seems conceptual.
Sin Agog
Sin Agog
2253 posts

Aug 24, 2010, 17:29
Zariadris wrote:
Sin Agog wrote:
[quote="Dog 3000"][quote="mingtp"]

EDIT: Here's my never-ever-to-be-reissued ultra-rare super-psychedelic find of the week: First Chips - Volume One. Mutant gonzo garage psyche pop at its finest, from '72.

Dude, thanks a ton for unearthing this. There are moments of strange beauty here, my favorite being the sparse, haunting String Band-like Me & My Lady, which seems to float in the same shadowy sound-space as Sand's Golem. A rare comparison, and a high compliment.

One of those mystifying, confidently self-realized lost albums, free of any simple category, that seem to gather strength from oblivion; their very obscurity seems conceptual.

You know an album's great when it inspires posts as poetic as this one. It was a private press release (best one I've heard for sure) and one of the tracks dates as early as '64! I can see the Golem comparison. They both sound like their own self-contained worlds- and they're both great albums (although it'll take a lot for anything to top Golem for me).

The man behind First Chips, Vyto B, also did a slightly less out there album a couple of years later called Tricentennial 2076. Think an acid-fried Dr. John or something. No fuzz guitar workouts on that one, unfortunately.

Anyway, I'm really glad First Chips worked for you! And I see what you mean about those obscure gems. Those guys were free to stumble across whole new sounds without an EMI sound engineer constantly telling them, "What on Earth are you doing? You can't do that!"
Pages: 3 – [ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ] Add a reply to this topic

Unsung Forum Index