Soundtracks Of Our Lives w/e 23 May 2010 CE

Pages: 5 – [ Previous | 1 2 3 4 5 ]
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
Dog 3000
Dog 3000
4611 posts

Re: Soundtracks Of Our Lives w/e 23 May 2010 CE
May 26, 2010, 16:11
Looked this up on Wikipedia and it's a little mysterious -- seems like "Fixin" was recorded first, but was released ONE MONTH AFTER the "Electric Music" album?? (And both came out right before Monterrey Pop?)

Though somewhere else it says "Electric Music" came out in September 1967, which would make it their second LP (if Fixin did come out in the spring.) This could be conflating the fact that their first album peaked in the charts in September? "Fixin" didn't peak til early 1968 however, and since that includes their biggest hit it makes sense it would have been the second released.

Point being: they are both excellent 1967 Cali-psych albums that sound like they may have been recorded at the same time. (Much better than the first Grateful Dead album from the same year!)
zerkalo
zerkalo
488 posts

May 26, 2010, 16:15
The Zombies - Zombie Heaven
John Zorn - Filmworks XIV: Hiding and Seeking
A Broken Consort - Box of Birch
Rameses III - Jozepha
The Fountain OST
Lucifer Rising OST
Budgie - S/T
MC5 - High Time
1001realapes
1001realapes
2388 posts

Edited May 26, 2010, 17:54
May 26, 2010, 17:47
Dog 3000 wrote:
Looked this up on Wikipedia and it's a little mysterious -- seems like "Fixin" was recorded first, but was released ONE MONTH AFTER the "Electric Music" album?? (And both came out right before Monterrey Pop?)

Though somewhere else it says "Electric Music" came out in September 1967, which would make it their second LP (if Fixin did come out in the spring.) This could be conflating the fact that their first album peaked in the charts in September? "Fixin" didn't peak til early 1968 however, and since that includes their biggest hit it makes sense it would have been the second released.

Point being: they are both excellent 1967 Cali-psych albums that sound like they may have been recorded at the same time. (Much better than the first Grateful Dead album from the same year!)

I think the Wiki info is dodgy , the official site

http://www.well.com/~cjfish/banddisc.htm

lists :

Electric Music Original vinyl release: Vanguard VSD.79244 [April 1967]

IFLIFTD Original vinyl release: Vanguard VSD.79266 [November 1967]

Sorry , can't find the link to the blog that
i found EMFM&B mono at

For me Electric Music is one of the few
truly psychedelic albums in existence
Dog 3000
Dog 3000
4611 posts

May 26, 2010, 19:11
Thanks for clearing that up -- they really sound very similar, I wouldn't be surprised if the second album is mostly from the same sessions as the first.

But Electric Music is the "more perfect" of the two . . .

I'd still give a slight edge to Jefferson Airplane's best LP's, but otherwise this is the cream of "San Fran Psych"!
redfish365
redfish365
710 posts

May 29, 2010, 00:09
Lucifer Rising is incredible considering the limitations and is really emotional and beautiful. I also adore the first Budgie record but for different reasons.
Nice to see these getting a mention.
Popel Vooje
5373 posts

May 29, 2010, 13:58
Dog 3000 wrote:

I'd still give a slight edge to Jefferson Airplane's best LP's, but otherwise this is the cream of "San Fran Psych"!

... and don't forget Moby Grape's first 3 (not including "Grape Jam" as I've never heard it), even if their output was uncharacteristically more typical of an LA band than a San Francisco one (with tight compositions generally being favoured over legnthy improvisations)". I'd put QMS' "Maiden of the Cancer Moon" in any list of essential SF psych too, as I think it comes closer to capturing their live fire than the more vaunted "Happy Trails". Then there's Big Brother's "Cheap Thrills", Fifty Foot Hose's "Cauldron", "Live Dead" ... Far too many great albums were being released worldwide in the 67-69 timezone - had one been attempting to keep abreast of them at the time then it would probably have taken until the mid-70s to have caught up with them all.
Pages: 5 – [ Previous | 1 2 3 4 5 ] Add a reply to this topic

Unsung Forum Index