The Moody Blues

79 messages
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
keith a
9573 posts

Re: The Moody Blues
Feb 04, 2010, 22:54
IanB wrote:
Yes I think OGWT may have been when I first heard them or maybe supporting Man. It is all a bit hazy.

If I am not suffering from false memory / terminal nostalgia Band Called O were pretty good live and much tougher sounding on stage than on record.

All those mid level Bob Harris / Nicky Horne endorsed bands (Crawler, Moon etc etc) seemed to get lame AOR productions aimed at American radio and got caught somewhere between two stools. I blame Rod myself. Also explains why Be Bop Deluxe, Hammill, Lizzy and SAHB kept their cred after Punk - they at least sounded like rock bands.

No wonder Punk sounded so radical and a blessed relief when it came along though I did buy "White Riot" and "Jess Roden Live" on the same day.

Just played Within Reach, and can't find a track called Coasting on it, Ian. As I was listening to it, it was the closing title track that I thought you must have meant, as there was a possible chill feel to that IMO. Good track actually.

Although I enjoyed playing WR I'm not sure of how much of it I would have liked if it wasn't for the nostalgia factor (and some of the lyrics are rather cringeworthy!).

That said, it was good to hear ASID again. I wouldn't necessarily list 'soft funk'* as a personal favourite genre by any means, but they were firing on all cylinders with that one. I can definitely imagine them being harder hitting live, mind.

(I don't think I bought WR until 1977, so I probably bought it the same day as some punk 45!)

* Mind you, I like Atlanta Rhythm Section's So Into You as well!
Topic Outline:

Unsung Forum Index