"Suddenly Everything Changes Forever" by David Drew Longey

Pages: 2 – [ Previous | 1 2 ]
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
drewbhoy
drewbhoy
2557 posts

Re:
Dec 29, 2009, 03:54
Real name Alexander,I played a lot of football but had to stop because of a severe ankle injury, and Drew Jarvie played for Aberdeen/Scotland in the seventies, hence the nickname. Same surname and we are distantly related. Fortunately I was ok at the music studying trumpet/piano and picked up degrees in both. Played for a few bands and now work at it full time.
The Sea Cat
The Sea Cat
3608 posts

Re:
Dec 29, 2009, 12:21
Thanks, Dave. I will definitely check out when I've sorted my disappearing downloads problem.
handofdave
handofdave
3515 posts

Re:
Dec 29, 2009, 17:59
The Sea Cat wrote:
Thanks, Dave. I will definitely check out when I've sorted my disappearing downloads problem.

This might solve the issue... if you right-click on the download link, it ought to give you the option of saving the file to a specific location on your hard drive. (works on a mac, should be the same on Windows)
The Sea Cat
The Sea Cat
3608 posts

Re:
Dec 29, 2009, 19:24
Thanks Dave. I'll try that with my Egg download and your one as well when I get back from my nightshift (grumble). I love banjo. One of those instruments that haunts me in a lovely way, like Uillean pipes,Sitars etc. Free transportation to a better place just by listening! :-)
handofdave
handofdave
3515 posts

Banjo music
Dec 29, 2009, 23:14
The instrument is the butt of many a joke, but yeah, that sound captured me many years ago and never let go.
Haunting it is! And somehow, the more raggedy and buzzing the sound, the better it gets... Appalachian old-time music can be very moving in it's simple honesty. It's as emotionally powerful as anything out there. It's the sound of real people's lives.. stripped down, without pretense.

I'd add that there's quite a bit of central Asian music that is the spiritual cousin to that. Rough-voiced ordinary people, old people, accompanied by a twangy stringed instrument... it's quite beautiful.

Here's a link you might like...
http://www.compound-eye.org

This site is run by a guy who's been in China for years now, documenting the music of the western regions. Look into the archives and download the 'Crescent Moon' collections. Outstanding stuff.
Pages: 2 – [ Previous | 1 2 ] Add a reply to this topic

Unsung Forum Index