Cope vs. The Clash

Pages: 16 – [ Previous | 14 5 6 7 8 9 | Next ]
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
zphage
zphage
3378 posts

Re: Cope vs. The Clash
Dec 14, 2009, 14:58
Clash's total sales in US are in the 5-7 million range, same as Public Enemy. Zep is 111 million. Did we expect more of the Clash than Zep?

They were never a stadium act on their own, however opening for the Who and playing US festival did get them in stadiums. At their height they were playing 5000-7500 seat facilities.
Squid Tempest
Squid Tempest
8769 posts

Dec 14, 2009, 14:59
I can see why it isn't everyone's cuppa. My love of it is probably 70% nostalgia apart from anything else!
IanB
IanB
6761 posts

Dec 14, 2009, 14:59
Don't forget that I come at this from the perspective that side 4 is a work of genius!
stray
stray
2057 posts

Edited Dec 14, 2009, 15:02
Re: Not liking Clapton
Dec 14, 2009, 15:00
Indeed. Thing is though...... so ? why defend it.

I have to deal with a lot of younger people in my life (in their early to mid 20s) at present with absolutely fuck all knowledge of musical history, and they too spew a lot of ill informed judgmental shite about music they don't get cos the context escapes them entirely. I just smile, shake my head, and move on.

The stuff I grew up on doesn't speak to them, and tbh it probably shouldn't. In fact, when I met one last year who was raving about early Floyd I was completely fucking horrified. Things must progress, and even wheel reinvention is still progression.

Music from many eras touches me on a gut level, any music that doesn't do that I discard.
Squid Tempest
Squid Tempest
8769 posts

Dec 14, 2009, 15:03
stray wrote:
I fully expect this thread to turn into a 200 hundred post shitfest too btw. It's already larger than it prolly should be, but hey its the holiday season, lets all get dumb.

Indeed. I like a good exploding thread every now and then.
dodge one
dodge one
1242 posts

Dec 14, 2009, 15:05
Why defend it?

No particular reason at all. We all have our hero's and such.
I have mine.
I love it that kids still dig PINK FLOYD.
machineryelf
3681 posts

can't remember off hand but I think it's side 3 that gets a bit baggy, but that gets sorted out on the live version, the whole centre gets tightened up and as you rightly point out side 4 goes ballastic
I've always liked it because at least they sound as if they are pushing still at the edges , unlike many of the modern prog bands who obviously have studied the John Petrucci widdly manual amd the wakeman palmer chord book til they can do it in their sleep, defeats the object of playing in 11/7 and changing key every 4 milliseconds if it sounds easy
IanB
IanB
6761 posts

Edited Dec 14, 2009, 15:07
stray wrote:
Music from many eras touches me on a gut level, any music that doesn't do that I discard.

That really is the only measure that counts.

As for Clapton whenever I hear the live versions of "Can't Find My Way Home" or "Presence of the Lord" from EC Was Here I find them genuinely touching. I know he was supposed to be a busted flush creatively by 75 (not to mention that he was about to be outed as an alleged racist) but it's honest and beautifully done. The fact that he sounds exhausted and miserable just makes it more poignant. And Cream were a great innovative pop band for a few short moments. Haven't much else to offer on the subject.
dodge one
dodge one
1242 posts

Re: Clapton
Dec 14, 2009, 15:10
Really, were on the same page for the most part.
Clapton leaving the 'Bird's ?
The Beano album is a masterpiece. 'Double Crossing Time' is a masterwork in early feedback technique.
Also to address an earlier comment regarding 'Cocaine'. That was a sage nod and tip of the hat to JJ CALE. Clapton has allways had perfect sense in whom he has chosen to admire.
Page's stuff.....he owe's an Immense debt to Bert Jansch. Love him too though....on his own merits.
Same for BECK.
drewbhoy
drewbhoy
2559 posts

Dec 14, 2009, 15:13
Correct D1, just just seen some kids wearing Iron Maiden tee shirts. Hard enuf for this time of year. Lots of kids are into Thin Lizzy, Rainbow etc.
Pages: 16 – [ Previous | 14 5 6 7 8 9 | Next ] Add a reply to this topic

Unsung Forum Index