Pages: 16 – [ Previous | 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 | Next ]
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
stray
stray
2057 posts

Edited Dec 14, 2009, 13:57
Re: Cope vs. The Clash
Dec 14, 2009, 13:56
haha, daft idea. But born 1968, brought up by parents on prog rock and british folk. I still like folk, absolutely hate prog now mind you, mainly because my Jazz and Classical likes made me realise that the relationship between prog and the alleged musicianship is.. fake. Also I come from the NW of England, which has a massive influence on my musical outlook which I couldn't begin to explain. I like all sorts of stuff, I deliberately make sure that I don't stagnate and seek out new music all the time. Never, ever, ever liked Clapton though.
machineryelf
3681 posts

Dec 14, 2009, 13:57
with Brian Waldron, who surely had escaped from the Muppets Workshop
PMM
PMM
3155 posts

Dec 14, 2009, 13:59
sorry about the edit. It crossed your reply.
stray
stray
2057 posts

Edited Dec 14, 2009, 14:06
Dec 14, 2009, 14:02
Neither. This is so much better.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z_trSIBCgF0

A detuned radio is more interesting man.. Stockhausen and Cage would be proud.
I trace my love for experimental music forms back to this sesame street scene.

Formalism uber alles.
machineryelf
3681 posts

Dec 14, 2009, 14:03
for the record I was born in 62, and I feel fully entitled to voice my opinion on anything because it's my opinion only, it's not gospel , it's the way I see it.
I know for a fact that mine , Ian B's & Keith A's memories of the glorious revolution of 77 are completely different because we were in different places, listening to different music with different people
It's a forum and we all have opinions on music , music which has no absolutes bar one

Bryan Adams & that robin hood song- not a good thing
machineryelf
3681 posts

Edited Dec 14, 2009, 14:08
Dec 14, 2009, 14:07
no probs, here's Brian Waldron interveiwing the captain of the Starship Enterprise

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hl6VpmjKZAs

Weekend World btw, just edges it over WIA
IanB
IanB
6761 posts

Edited Dec 14, 2009, 14:14
Dec 14, 2009, 14:11
The Sea Cat wrote:
Popel Vooje wrote:
Agreed. I always disliked them, too. Too po-faced and serious, which - given that Strummer was always a posho pretending to be a working class hero - is not a good attribute. Plus, "Sandinista" bores the ass off me. There's never been any excuse for triple albums (awaits reciminations from angry Yes and ELP fans).

Not too keen on ELP, but Yes, from The Yes Album through to Going For The One, were magnificent. It's not all Van Der Graaf and Krautrock on this boat. Tales From Topographic oceans is a great work.

I was with you all the way to the last sentence. TFTO would have been a pretty great 45 minutes if they had dumped all but five minutes of sides 2 & 3. Maybe I missed something but musically it strikes me as being the "Sandinista" of Prog - too much ego at work with no strong editorial hand. Did I miss something important on those middle two sides? For me 15 minutes of "Awaken" reaches the parts that 90 minutes of TFTO can't reach.
mojojojo
mojojojo
1940 posts

Dec 14, 2009, 14:15
Speaking as a thirty six year old who has downloaded some music I know absolutely nothing about anything and don't understand what you are saying.

x
IanB
IanB
6761 posts

Edited Dec 14, 2009, 14:53
Dec 14, 2009, 14:19
machineryelf wrote:
for the record I was born in 62, and I feel fully entitled to voice my opinion on anything because it's my opinion only, it's not gospel , it's the way I see it.
I know for a fact that mine , Ian B's & Keith A's memories of the glorious revolution of 77 are completely different because we were in different places, listening to different music with different people
It's a forum and we all have opinions on music , music which has no absolutes bar one Bryan Adams & that robin hood song- not a good thing

Tis true. Punk was just another form of hard rock riffage in my book and all but a few of the musicians were bandwagon jumpers who then proceeded to kick away the grasping hands of any other latecomers. I loved the fact that Punk pissed people off much more than any of the actual music and when Peel championed all the sub-Mekons "can't practice / wont practice" bands that's when it kinda got boring.

So I can see no contradiction between buying and liking "Teenage Depression", "Damned Damned Damned", Magazine's "Real Lfe", "Going For The One", Weather Report's "Black Market", "Rainbow Rising" and "Technical Ecstasy" all within a fairly short time frame. I think some of Punk was real in the sense that there were artists who genuinely tried to live the rhetoric - Mark Stewart for definite - but most Punk wasn't any more "real" than a Roger Dean cover. Or any other kind of creativity that has some artifice about it.

I am not sure what is worse the rock fan who expects the artist to live the art or the rock artist who tries to make us believe that he does. Did Camus have to be a killer to write "The Stranger"? What if he had said that he did when he didn't?
The Sea Cat
The Sea Cat
3608 posts

Edited Dec 14, 2009, 14:21
Dec 14, 2009, 14:20
IanB wrote:
The Sea Cat wrote:
Popel Vooje wrote:
Agreed. I always disliked them, too. Too po-faced and serious, which - given that Strummer was always a posho pretending to be a working class hero - is not a good attribute. Plus, "Sandinista" bores the ass off me. There's never been any excuse for triple albums (awaits reciminations from angry Yes and ELP fans).

Not too keen on ELP, but Yes, from The Yes Album through to Going For The One, were magnificent. It's not all Van Der Graaf and Krautrock on this boat. Tales From Topographic oceans is a great work.

I was with you all the way to the last sentence. TFTO would have been a pretty great 45 minutes if they had dumped all but five minutes of sides 2 & 3. Maybe I missed something but musically it strikes me as being the "Sandinista" of Prog - too much ego at work with no strong editorial hand. Did I miss something important on those middle two sides? For me 15 minutes of "Awaken" reaches the parts that 90 minutes of TFTO can't reach.

I just think that there's some very interesting things going on. Granted, it doesn't all work, but when it meshes it's brilliant. I think because of the weaker rambling moments, people don't bother sticking at it with an open ear, so to speak. It is a rampant behemoth of course, but there's some wonderful things going on in there that don't merit it the overly maligned reputation. In a way, it sums up everthing that's great and bad about prog. Maybe that's also why I'm so fond of it.
Pages: 16 – [ Previous | 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 | Next ] Add a reply to this topic

Unsung Forum Index