Register
Unsung Forum »
Cope vs. The Clash

Pages: 16 – [ Previous | 111 12 13 14 15 16 ]
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
dodge one
dodge one
1242 posts

Re: people that can't possibly be old enough to have lived through Claptons heyday
Dec 16, 2009, 13:29
Hey Squid,
We both began playing guitar and purchasing Albums at the same age. I still own 99.99% of every piece of music i ever purchased too. And about 70% of the guitars. Some of those, i traded off, or gave away.
Your a 'Bit' older than i, i'm a '62 model. I won't offer any more details than that over the net. Primarily, because i've found, people like SPRINGY {above}, like to twist what they 'THINK' they know about people into a twisted knot. The smallest detail one offers out loud, is their ammunition.
An odd sort.

Ps: I've never worried a bit about how old or young i am. But i am definately old enough to actually 'own' the records that i discuss. With the benefit of decades of ownership and familiarity. I stick to what i know about.
I believe that shows.
stray
stray
2057 posts

Edited Dec 16, 2009, 13:35
Re: people that can't possibly be old enough to have lived through Claptons heyday
Dec 16, 2009, 13:35
dodge one wrote:
Primarily, because i've found, people like SPRINGY {above}, like to twist what they 'THINK' they know about people into a twisted knot.

Ah but constructing strawmen is the purpose of all forums. It happens to me here quite often. Sometimes I add some extra straw for them too. Its unavoidable, so much so that I've decided to play along and reinforce their dim opinions of me. It's more fun than endlessly trying to correct them.
dodge one
dodge one
1242 posts

Dec 16, 2009, 13:36
I like to stick to the music. In this forum , at least.
Toni Torino
2299 posts

Dec 16, 2009, 13:38
stray wrote:
[
Ah but constructing strawmen is the purpose of all forums. It happens to me here quite often. Sometimes I add some extra straw for them too. Its unavoidable, so much so that I've decided to play along and reinforce their dim opinions of me. It's more fun than endlessly trying to correct them.

Ah yes. You're so brainy you're virtually autistic... ;0)
stray
stray
2057 posts

Edited Dec 16, 2009, 13:45
Dec 16, 2009, 13:42
Toni Torino wrote:

Ah yes. You're so brainy you're virtually autistic... ;0)

There is nothing virtual about it. Spectres, between the real and reality, the symbol etc. Its just game. Virtual-image and continuous becoming. Just dropping big words so I type less while reinforcing the virtual-image. An atavistic autism, it serves.

Edit : I'm incredibly easy to pull apart tbh, dunno why people don't do it more frankly.
neighbourofthedrude
neighbourofthedrude
1555 posts

Re: Cope vs. The Clash
Dec 16, 2009, 15:40
Can't be arsed to read all these threads.
I never really liked them.
Strummers voice grinds me.
E dun't talk proper like wot I doz,so that puts I orf.

:o)
Squid Tempest
Squid Tempest
8769 posts

Dec 16, 2009, 15:52
dodge one wrote:
Hey Squid,
We both began playing guitar and purchasing Albums at the same age. I still own 99.99% of every piece of music i ever purchased too. And about 70% of the guitars. Some of those, i traded off, or gave away.
Your a 'Bit' older than i, i'm a '62 model. I won't offer any more details than that over the net. Primarily, because i've found, people like SPRINGY {above}, like to twist what they 'THINK' they know about people into a twisted knot. The smallest detail one offers out loud, is their ammunition.
An odd sort.

Ps: I've never worried a bit about how old or young i am. But i am definately old enough to actually 'own' the records that i discuss. With the benefit of decades of ownership and familiarity. I stick to what i know about.
I believe that shows.

I lost a few hundred albums in a move once unfortunately. I've also sold a couple of my old guitars, and had a bass nicked, but they've all been replaced with better ones anyhow :-)

btw, I think cultural differences may account for some of the reactions you get from folks - I don't think anyone here is being genuinely unpleasant. Sometimes it just takes a while for people to be allowed to "settle in" around here! After all, you and me started off a bit at loggerheads didn't we, and (hopefully) that has all blown over now and we can get on with the far more interesting business of discussing the important things in life i.e. music!

As for sticking with what you know, fair enough. I still stand up for the stuff I've always loved, but I'm also interested in anything new that folks think I might be interested in. I've come across some amazing stuff by listening to the other Unsungers points of view.
dave clarkson
2988 posts

Re: Cope vs. The Clash
Dec 16, 2009, 20:54
Hi LL

I never liked the posturing of the Clash but I never liked the posturing of rock bands, rock stars or pop idols in general. They're all full of shit methinks. As for Cope - think he does as much posturing with all the black sheep nonsense. Julian Temple's film is a good documentary sums Strummer up well but I still had a soft spot for him despite it all as I think there was something special about him but can't think what it is at the moment.

Things I did like about the Clash...
1, Great drummer - in a different league to most of the other punk tub thumpers.
2, For the age of the band at the time, a brave work of genius in Sandinista if it's best tracks condensed into a single album which is why I've never complained about the sprawling nature of it as it was cheap as a single album when it came out.
3, Maybe thee best punk record with Complete Control.

Anyway mate - hope all's well and have a great festive season!

8)
Pages: 16 – [ Previous | 111 12 13 14 15 16 ] Add a reply to this topic

Unsung Forum Index