3608 posts

Edited Dec 08, 2009, 13:38
Re: Soundtracks Of Our Lives w/e 6 December 2009 CE
Dec 08, 2009, 13:34
Squid Tempest wrote:
The Sea Cat wrote:
Squid Tempest wrote:

Mike Oldfield - Tubular Bells
I'm a bit stuck on this again at the moment. Not quite sure why!

Alice Coltrane - Ptah the El Daoud
This has really grown on me. One of the best jazz albums I've heard in yonks. Can't wait to play it to my dad, I think he'll love it.

Tubular Bells is wonderful, as indeed Ommadawn. Don't play them much these days, but when I do.... Yes. Mike gets full coolness for those two albums regardless. And Ptah is simply one of the greatest albums, ever. :-)

I actually quite like Hergest Ridge too. I don't listen to them very often either, but I do get the urge every now and then.

Should I check out Hergest Ridge then ? I prefer Ommadawn to TB, because I love the celtic mystic vibe. Woodehenge sounds nice and pagan-y. That would be right up my street. What do you reckon.

( When I hear TB, funnily enough, I don't think of 'that' film like a friend of mine always does, and a lot of others I imagine. As we know, it was conceived and recorded comnpletely unrelated from, and before the film. Mike Oldfield had no personal involvement in the decision behind it's use in a film soundtrack whatsoever. It reminds me of the many awesome and inspiring facets of Nature -I recently saw an Old Grey Whistle Test B & W promo clip that depicted skiers etc. which re-affirmed that feeling )
zerkalo
zerkalo
488 posts

Edited Dec 08, 2009, 14:14
Dec 08, 2009, 13:40
1001realapes wrote:

James Brown : The Payback

Me too as ever, it's a brilliant album, also

The Unthanks - Lucky Gilchrist tour EP (saw them last Tuesday, gig of the year for me, bought this for their version of Tar Barrel In Dale that they did in session for Mark Radcliffe last year)

The Unthanks - Here's The Tender Coming (more of a grower for me after my instant love for The Bairns, damn good it is though)

Jonny Kearney and Lucy Farrell - North Farm Sessions (supporting The Unthanks on Tuesday, sweet dreamy folk music, although they were even better live, good stuff)

Martha Wainright - Sans Fusils, Ni Souliers, à Paris

Scott Walker/Walker Brothers Best of Comp

Jefferson Airplane Best of Comp

John Lennon - Working Class Hero, Best of Comp

Pekko Käppi - Bubnit Sebje Pod Nos

230 Divisadero - A Vision of Lost Unity

Nick Grey - Les Eaux Territoriales

Book of Shadows - Mantis

Trees Community - The Christ Tree
Squid Tempest
Squid Tempest
8763 posts

Dec 08, 2009, 15:15
The Sea Cat wrote:
Squid Tempest wrote:
The Sea Cat wrote:
Squid Tempest wrote:

Mike Oldfield - Tubular Bells
I'm a bit stuck on this again at the moment. Not quite sure why!

Alice Coltrane - Ptah the El Daoud
This has really grown on me. One of the best jazz albums I've heard in yonks. Can't wait to play it to my dad, I think he'll love it.

Tubular Bells is wonderful, as indeed Ommadawn. Don't play them much these days, but when I do.... Yes. Mike gets full coolness for those two albums regardless. And Ptah is simply one of the greatest albums, ever. :-)

I actually quite like Hergest Ridge too. I don't listen to them very often either, but I do get the urge every now and then.

Should I check out Hergest Ridge then ? I prefer Ommadawn to TB, because I love the celtic mystic vibe. Woodehenge sounds nice and pagan-y. That would be right up my street. What do you reckon.

( When I hear TB, funnily enough, I don't think of 'that' film like a friend of mine always does, and a lot of others I imagine. As we know, it was conceived and recorded comnpletely unrelated from, and before the film. Mike Oldfield had no personal involvement in the decision behind it's use in a film soundtrack whatsoever. It reminds me of the many awesome and inspiring facets of Nature -I recently saw an Old Grey Whistle Test B & W promo clip that depicted skiers etc. which re-affirmed that feeling )

I never think of the film in tandem with TB either. I heard the album well before seeing the film. You might well like Hergest Ridge I should think. A more gentle vibe than TB, more pastoral.
Lonesome Cowboy Bill
Lonesome Cowboy Bill
356 posts

Edited Dec 09, 2009, 09:47
Dec 09, 2009, 09:44
Art Blakey & The Jazz Messengers - Free For All (especially the title track over and over again)
Pharoah Sanders - Tauhid
Miles Davis - Black Beauty, In A Silent Way, Dark Magus
Ornette Coleman - Shape Of Jazz To Come
Neil Young - Live At The Fillmore East
Nina Simone - Black Gold and It Is Finished
The Drums - Summertime
John Coltrane - Blue Train
Jerry Lee Lewis - Live At The Star Club
Howlin' Wolf - The London Sessions

(pretty much jazz city round my way at the mo)
Moon Cat
9577 posts

Dec 09, 2009, 17:22
Bit late but never mind.

New Model Army - Today is a Good Day. And this is a pleasingly good album!
Clog On!

Also, NMA - No Rest, The Love of Hopeless Causes, Thunder & Consolation

Fileds of The Nephilim - Dawnrazor. Flour Power!

Rossetta Stone - An Eye for The Main Chance. Early 90's bit too late Sisters/Mission alikes but some great tunes.

The Senseless - In the Realm of the Senseless. Extreme metal meets grind meets ambient meets noise n stuff. Like it.

ABC - The Lexicon of Love. Truly a near perfectly formed indulgence. Picked it up for 99p in a shop in Leeds. Not heard for years. V good!

Dimmu Borgir - Spiritual Black Dimensions.

The Meters - Best of... Stripped down funkgasms

Ironweed - Indian Ladder

Agitation Free - Live 74

Tangerine Dream - Zeit, Atem.

Have a nice week, what's left, noise nibblers x
Squid Tempest
Squid Tempest
8763 posts

Dec 09, 2009, 17:33
Can anyone fill me in on Agitation Free? I've heard the name mentioned a few times lately, but I've no idea who they are or what they sound like.
Moon Cat
9577 posts

Dec 09, 2009, 18:00
IanB's yer man. The live album is one he sent me ealier this year. All I know really is that they are a German proggy/Krautish band from back in the day and I like what I've heard. Bigger there than over here?

Instrumental and long tunes. sometimes floaty, sometimes motorikish with sniffs of progular noodlment. Quite rhythmic and groovey to my ears.

I think you might like.
mingtp
mingtp
2270 posts

Dec 09, 2009, 19:39
Moon Cat wrote:
New Model Army - Today is a Good Day. And this is a pleasingly good album! Clog On!

A cat after my own heart.

I've found the last few albums a bit patchy, but totally agree that TIAGD is a return to form.

That said, their live album from last year is probably my favourite live album of all time. That bugger was glued to my CD player for months.

Clog on! is right :)
thesweetcheat
thesweetcheat
6216 posts

Dec 10, 2009, 19:16
mingtp wrote:
Moon Cat wrote:
New Model Army - Today is a Good Day. And this is a pleasingly good album! Clog On!

A cat after my own heart.

I've found the last few albums a bit patchy, but totally agree that TIAGD is a return to form.

That said, their live album from last year is probably my favourite live album of all time. That bugger was glued to my CD player for months.

Clog on! is right :)

Great stuff! T&C is one of my favourite ever albums, with Impurity and Hopeless Causes not far behind (especially "These Words"). I thought Carnival was a really good album, but I think they miss the fiddle-y dimension that they had earlier. Still, great band, much misunderstood.
Squid Tempest
Squid Tempest
8763 posts

Dec 10, 2009, 19:26
Sounds like my kinda thing. Thanks!
Pages: 4 – [ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ] Add a reply to this topic

Unsung Forum Index