Pages: 2 – [ Previous | 1 2 ]
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
Tangerine Pete
Tangerine Pete
487 posts

Edited Aug 14, 2009, 08:12
Re: John Lennon and Todd Rundgren letter
Aug 14, 2009, 08:01
one of john lennon's odder tendencies was to be ingratiating to popular musicians in the seventies, while simultaneously trying to take act like their music was all his idea in the first place. kind of a defensiveness which is quite odd when you consider he's john fucking lennon who wrote i am the walrus and imagine....idol to millions, shagger of thousands of groupies...

meanwhile he felt the need to answer to todd 'one AM hit' rundgren like a loving step brother? fuck, it's weird, isn't it?

nb - i read an interview with Nilsson once where he described Lennon's brandy alexander phase (during which that troubadour incident took place) "...after one brandy alexander he was charming, after two he'd tell all the old beatles stories. after three however, he would begin to growl...."

nb2 - i just remembered another example. in one of his final interviews, Lennon claimed Mick Jagger turned 'I'm Scared' (a largely forgotten track from Walls and Bridges) into 'Miss You' - in the same patronizing way he used on Todd. seems unlikely. they don't sound the same at all compositionally to me, but hey. I'd love to hear Mick's reaction to that accusation.
micmacmoc
micmacmoc
288 posts

Re: the todd rundgren bit from the melody maker
Aug 14, 2009, 14:18
This is what Lennon was responding to:
Rundgren: all or nothing
by Ailan Jones
Melody Maker February 1974

"John Lennon ain't no revolutionary. He's a fucking idiot, man. Shouting about revolution and acting like an ass. It just makes people feel uncomfortable."

"All he really wants to do is get attention for himself, and if revolution gets him that attention, he'll get attention through revolution. Hitting a waitress in the Troubador. What kind of revolution is that?"

"He's an important figure, sure. But so was Richard Nixon. Nixon was just like another generation's John Lennon. Someone who represented all sorts of ideals, but was out for himself underneath it all."

No doubt about it, this kid is really heavy.

Todd Rundgren is fast becoming an anachronistic satellite burning through the stagnancy currently afflicting so much of rock.

Dreams
In the face of the post-Woodstock Nation collapse of dreams and ideals, most rock 'n' rollers have backed themselves into creative cul-de-sacs.

Not Todd. He seems to have committed himself to a one-man campaign against all that inertia schmaltz and seems intent on blasting his way out of the hole that rock seems to be determined on burying itself in, with both barrels blazing.

No half measures: it's all or nothing with Todd. And if he goes down, he'll sure as hell go down fighting.

With his last couple of albums, "A Wizard, A True Star" and "Todd," both classics, he's taken it upon himself to attempt, in no uncertain way, to change the whole consciousness of the survivors of the Woodstock Nation.

"I guess a lot of people thought 'Something/Anything' was an overtly self-conscious effort to make the ultimate solo album, because they figured it must have taken a long time to make. But I breezed through it, man."

Mind
"It's really surprising, when you go into a session with musicians and you have something specific in mind, it can take you all day to get them to play it. And when the specificity of the material is that acute then obviously the arrangement of the material becomes more important... "

And you end up playing two thirds of it yourself. Utilizing the sounds of the instruments and not wasting your own time and the times of other musicians. But what kind of reaction did that album receive in the States?

"'Something/Anything' was like my artistic validation in the States. Everybody liked the songs so much that it really established my artistic identity. But in certain terms, it misled a lot of people."

"Because if anyone picks up one of my albums and says that's their favourite album, that might as well be the only album of mine they ever hear."

"Because I don't make records according to a style. I make records according to a need."

Would you therefore care to elucidate on the mental evolution - the need - behind 'A Wizard, A True Star?'

"I had a good analogy for that album yesterday. The 'Wizard' album was a picture of the average brain at work. Now there's a distinction between the brain and the mind. Because the mind tells the brain what to think."

"And the average person's brain resembles the clutter of the 'Wizard' album. In fact, that was my brain, until I cleared it all out. That was my first stream of consciousness album."

"It's not supposed to have a concept other than a picture of the average brain at work. The subsequent albums were more like organizing the brain, so that you can bring some inspired thought through it."

"People don't usually think inspired thoughts because they're usually too preoccupied with the immediate things that clutter up their brain."

Smash
"The thing was, I was really trying to smash away the preconceptions about my records."
As a personal statement, it was quite a provocation, wasn't it? Not what you might call Easy Listening. More like some sort of psychic collage of erupting brain patterns.

"That was it, man. A deliberate provocation. It came out of a certain sense of being cornered stylistically. A lot of people were just presuming that I only wrote 'Hullo, It's Me' - 'I Saw The Light' type songs."

"whereas, I had originally been into a hard rock/heavy metal style. The reason I did both was that when I started the Nazz, I had this thing about being eclectic."

"Like the Beatles had no style other than being the Beatles. So the Nazz used to do, like heavy rock, and also these light, pretty ballads with complex ballads."

"And at the time that was something that people just didn't do. You were supposed to have an easily associable style."

"And that's always been part of my problem. I've always had this incongruity of style and influence."

"A lot of people still find it remarkable that I have a penchant for the conventional and pretty and the weird and abstract. That's because I don't make divisions in terms of music. I never have."

"If I hear something I like, that's it. It's mine. The thing about music is that if you're a good listener you can go window-shopping and own everything you see."

Follow
There were a few tracks on "Something" which indicated the direction that Todd would follow on "Wizard" but it seems unlikely that anyone was wholly prepared for the stance that he took on that album.
His dissatisfaction with the attitudes adopted by other contemporary figures - Lennon, for example - became obvious with "Rock and Roll Pussy" written for Lennon, and a searing indictment of rock's so-called revolutionaries.

Todd's World View, became apparent on that album. The "Todd" double album epic carried that vision even further, and here was Todd cutting himself to the bone to communicate the urgency of that vision.

He emphasized, with the last side of that album, the need to reorganize the shattered dreams of the sixties and start out all over again.

"I don't think that my attitude is unique, man. Everybody is dissatisfied with it all. But so many people are so cynical, thinking that there's nothing that can be done about it. I don't believe that."

"I don't see any point in accepting the fact that the world might blow up tomorrow, and not doing something about it. That's a selfish attitude."

"It might blow up, but there's no point sitting around worrying and waiting for it. Are you gonna stop it happening by WORRYING about it?"

Exist
"I believe in a pleasant reality. There are things that exist in this world that are desirable, but they are separated by a lot of undesirable things. Like, there are islands of truth in a sea of falsehood..."
"The truth is there. I believe that it's my responsibility to stand by it, and not be a pussy. Not punk out when it looks unfashionable to stand by those ideals."

That is, surely, an isolated position to maintain?

"At this point, I may think that. But I know for a fact that there are a lot of people that feel the same way as I do, but they're so afraid of looking like asses."

"All it takes is for one person to risk making a fool of himself and everyone'll do it. I'm having a great time. I'm more commercially successful than I've ever been."

"My personal life is at a new high. My outlook on existence is at a new high..."

If The Revolution comes, can rock 'n' roll, as a form, contribute to, or even precipitate a confrontation?

"It can, sure. But a lot of people want to see it happening in a very obvious way. That's because they don't think well enough. I think there is a revolution happening, but the people who are so frustrated that they go out and act violently are the people who don't believe that it's gonna happen."

"There the ones who're afraid that it won't happen. Force it to happen, you know, and that is because their belief isn't basically strong enough, and because they're basically weak people."

Face
"They can't stand by their convictions in the face of adversity. The leaders who people remember and revere - anybody who made an effect on the human mine - was someone whose instrument was the human mind. People who have made an effect on the body - once the body died, the effect was gone. I can't name you one American general or soldier who is a household word."
"But Christ is a household word. So is Ghandi, Buddha, and Confucius...."

"You have to understand violence to make adequate use of it. There is that degree of frustration in everybody, which can be manifested in violence. Something happens, and the people suddenly feel like being violent."

"That's because they don't understand violence. They don't understand its use, disuse or misuse. In the long run there's no such thing as good or bad."

"But there are in human terms things that are desirable and undesirable. All things have their function and violence has it's place
Popel Vooje
5373 posts

Edited Aug 14, 2009, 15:33
Aug 14, 2009, 15:30
Well that kind of makes my post redundant. He was taking a lot of Ritalin at the time, wasn't he?

I agree with Lennon that the line abhout the Beatles having no style other than the Beatles is crap, though. For me that undermines the rest of his arguments somewhat.
dodge one
dodge one
1242 posts

Aug 14, 2009, 22:02
Keith Richards related having to "wipe off" Lennon on ocassion after he had spewed all over himself trying to keep up PARTYING....you don't keep up with Keith.

Then there is that awful Booting to the head story regarding STU.

I think John could have been a handfull...
Tangerine Pete
Tangerine Pete
487 posts

Edited Aug 14, 2009, 22:29
Aug 14, 2009, 22:21
dodge one wrote:
Keith Richards related having to "wipe off" Lennon on ocassion after he had spewed all over himself trying to keep up PARTYING....you don't keep up with Keith.

Then there is that awful Booting to the head story regarding STU.

I think John could have been a handfull...

as much as i hero worship lennon's songwriting genius, it does have to be said that he had a violent streak. fact - he repeatedly hit cavern dj Bob Wooler in the face with a shovel in the back garden of McCartney's dad's house during a birthday party in 63. put him in the hospital, and all because bob had made a funny comment about lennon going on holiday alone with brian epstein. (there is an odd audio snippet on this from 1969 during filming of let it be. on a bootleg called Jamming with Heather, Paul is teasing John about playing the wrong chords, and John responds in exaggerated Liverpudlian, saying "i can't take some winding now, lad...remember Bob Wooler...") Wooler was a 50 year old man who'd done nothing but help the Beatles at every turn.

in pete best's book Beatle (1985), best relates a story in which lennon supposedly may have killed a sailor in a street fight - best and lennon would occasionally try to roll drunken sailors in hamburg if they were hard up for cash.

these are the stories that make it hard to like your heroes sometimes...
Mark1971
Mark1971
252 posts

Aug 16, 2009, 11:24
Just thought I'd throw into the mix the fact that Todd Rundgren was the musical idol of one Mark Chapman, someone of delicate mental state, obsessed by a book about "phonies" (Catcher in the Rye) and eventually Lennon's murderer. I'm sure there's nothing in it, but slightly weird all the same. maybe.
Glam Descendant
1539 posts

Aug 16, 2009, 22:40
That was in Feb.? Wow. It must have really hurt Lennon because he was still responding to it 6 months later: in the Nov. '74 (I *think*) issue of "Andy Warhol's Interview" magazine is an article w/Lennon interviewing himself, and he addresses the feud w/Todd. I've got it in print, I'll see if I can find it online.
Pages: 2 – [ Previous | 1 2 ] Add a reply to this topic

Unsung Forum Index