Topic View: Flat | Threaded
a23
a23
1004 posts

Re: Soundtracks Of Our Lives w/e 09 August 2009 CE
Aug 09, 2009, 22:11
Not much this week, really.

Hawkwind: Quark S & C; 3 disc anthology set and Space Ritual Vol 2

Wooden Shjips - Contact 12" - think this one of the best things they've done, particularly hearing the vinyl rather than digi download. Oh, and Dos

John Foxx - The quiet man - collection of 5 of his spoken word pieces with some piano etc background, after the initial disconcertion that it wasn't foxxy himself narating them, they're rather good, if dripping a little too much j g ballard

The clientele - god save the clientele

German Oak - german oak - in my favourite 10 albums of ever

13th Floor Elevators - Easter everywhere

Got hold of the new James Blackshaw lp "glass bead game" which haven't found time to spin yet, but will do for next week
Squid Tempest
Squid Tempest
8761 posts

Aug 09, 2009, 22:22
Super Furry Animals - Rings Around the World
Forgotten how good the first few tracks on here are. Summer in a disk.

Korpiklaani - Karkelo
Raah! Bring me pints of beer. And vodka.

Patti Smith - Easter
Slade Alive!

Jo Jo Gunne S/T
Played Run Run Run 3 times yesterday. Bestest slide guutar ever ever. Didn't half bring back the memories, it was one of the first singles I ever got.

Still on a real Canterbury thing at the moment. Hence...
Camel - Nude, Mirage, Rain Dances
Caravan - Waterloo Lily
Hatfield and the North - S/T and Rotters Club
I only got Rotters Club yesterday, and (I'm ashamed to say) hadn't heard it before. Really like it already, whereas it took me yonks to get into the S/T one.

White Hills - Heads on Fire
Been listening to this regularly for weeks now, and absolutely love it. In fact I would go so far as to say it rocks my socks. Really really must get round to getting more of their stuff.

Sunn O))) - Monoliths and Dimensions
Nadja - Radiance of Shadows
My late night doom listening has been enlivened immensely by these two albums. Corkers both.
thesweetcheat
thesweetcheat
6213 posts

Aug 09, 2009, 22:36
After last week's classical-yness, normality is resumed:

New Order - Western Works demo (6 songs, decent quality, thanks to Dave C for pointing me in the direction); "Ceremony" (original version); "Procession"; Movement LP

Joy Division - Unknown Pleasures LP - still the greatest album ever made to these ears

Section 25 - "Dream" from Part-Primitiv, featuring one of the best vocals from the late Jenny Cassidy

The Sisterhood - "Rain From Heaven" - reminded of this by "Mirror" of the new Section 25 album

The Beatles "I Me Mine" (Anthology version); "I'm So Tired"

The Kinks - "Autumn Almanac"

Small Faces - "Every Little Bit Hurts"

Talking Heads - "Love -> Building on Fire"; "Don't Worry About The Government"; "The Overload"

The Slits - Cut LP

Cardiacs - Day Is Gone EP (especially "Ideal")

Queen Elizabeth - Queen Elizabeth (arrived this week from HH, don't know why I never bought it before, it's excellent)

Blaine Reininger - "Le Mepris"; "Basso Pomade"; "Petite Piece Chinoise"

Wire - "Desert Diving" from Read & Burn EP3
thesweetcheat
thesweetcheat
6213 posts

Aug 09, 2009, 22:43
thesweetcheat wrote:

The Sisterhood - "Rain From Heaven" - reminded of this by "Mirror" of the new Section 25 album

Actually, I meant "Finland Red, Egypt White", but I've been listening to "Rain From Heaven" too...
Brik
587 posts

Aug 10, 2009, 04:15
Mine's been mostly old favourites while money's tight

Kirsty MacColl - singles and the like, Titanic Days
Billy Bragg - Don't Try This At Home
My Life Story - a couple of singles, Mornington Crescent
Madness - The Dangermen Sessions
The Teardrop Explodes - Kilimanjaro
Julian Cope - Jehovahkill, Dark Orgasm
The Skids - Scared To Dance, Days In Europa, The Absolute Game
The Damned - Machine Gun Etiquette
The Doors - The Doors, Strange Days
David Bowie - Ziggy Stardust
Suede - Singles
James - Singles
Sleeper - The It Girl
Siouxsie & The Banshees - The Scream, Kaleidoscope
PJ Harvey - To Bring You My Love
The Clash - London Calling
Hole - Celebrity Skin
IanB
IanB
6761 posts

Edited Aug 10, 2009, 07:08
Aug 10, 2009, 07:07
An unusually trad week for me. Like punk never happened ....

Fairports - Full House
Dylan - Blood On The Tracks
Dylan - "Idiot Wind" from Hard Rain
Various - I'm Not There OST
Stevie Nicks - Bella Donna
Steve Miller - Record Plant 1973
The Band - Rock Of Ages
Bill Withers - Just As I Am
Various - BBC "Composer of the Week" Podcasts

and

Sophie's World (Unabridged) - Audio Book
Stevo
Stevo
6664 posts

Aug 10, 2009, 08:31
Rationals disc 2 of the 2cd set. really like this stuff. takes it up to '68 where guitar graunch is making regular appearance. they were musically pretty muscular throughout though.

Neil Young Everybody Knows This Is Nowhere
new remaster of the Neil Young classic. Bought it from cdconnection, not sure if these are out over here yet.
Haven't listened to the lp in years but looked like even then I'd ignored the 2nd side of my vinyl. Found the shorter songs there quite great.
Was a little disappointed at the lack of liner notes. & there's no bonus tracks which could be either way, did just get a d/ld of the Archives set so possibly got enough NY to explore. MIght get s/t & Goldrush since sound is so good though.

Isaac Hayes Black Moses
Remaster from last year in scaled down version of original packaging. Hoping the rest of his good span (69-73?) gets decent remaster & packaging now even if it is delayed in memoriam. Think they've started with Hot Buttered Soul, which had been remastered reasonably recently but in rotten packaging. & the last edition of the Shaft soundtrack substituted the short single version of Do Your Thing for the 20minute trance one from the lp.
Black MOses sees Hayes creating a concept lp out of his divorce situation. I'm knocked sideways by the wah wah guitar. When Hayes' arranging is on it really is on. say no more.

Todd Rundgren A Wizard A True star
cd of this could seriously use a remaster. Sounded pretty decent on a decent car stereo but was rubbing other passengers up wrong way with the freeform electronic peripherals. Think from that perspective it misses the melodic pop core. Had to take it off after about 5 minutes, brought it home, played it on my bedroom stereo and just couldn't get the same edge.
Would think something like this would get remastered more than once in 19 odd years.

The Mojo African compi cd that replaced it in the car stereo. Was very impressed by this, heard a lot of new (at least to me) stuff on it. hadn't heard the Konono no1 Congotronics lpbefore though I do have live stuff, pretty sublime track. rest seems to be of as high quality.

Comets On Fire 27/6/05
visceral as ever, some heavily extended tracks here. wish more live would appear on Dime, have seen that it had before.

Can Ege Bamyasi
turned up on somebody's ipod on camp, hadn't listened to it in ages anyway but especially welcome finding it there.

Nico Chelsea Girl
turned up at a different time on same walkman. again not listened to in ages, think I may still have my copy but buried in a box or pile somewhere. Haunting versions of material by Reed, Cale, a very young Jackson Browne among others.
must refind mine.

some Eritrean folk stuff from same walkman. sounds like Ethiopiques divested of James Brown/Ornette Coleman influences, must further investigate.

several other bits and bobs. less than usual because been on camp for a week.
Stevo
NP Comets On Fire 27/6/05
keith a
9573 posts

Aug 10, 2009, 09:20
Squid Tempest wrote:

Played Run Run Run 3 times yesterday. Bestest slide guutar ever ever. Didn't half bring back the memories, it was one of the first singles I ever got.

Yeah, it's always good to hear Run Run Run!

Anyway, here's mine...

HEATHEN - David Bowie
I won’t have a word said against this latter day Bowie album!

JEHOVAHKILL – Julian Cope
Really enjoyed hearing Akhenaten, which isn’t one of tracks I’d immediately consider a favourite off this pretty much classic Cope set.

I GOT 5 ON IT – Luniz
CD single from the mis-90’s with lots of mixes on. Love it!

KRAM – Moebius
Forth coming album from Moebius. Sounds interesting on first play.

AERTIFAKTS (BC) – Plastikman
Less keen on the two predominantly percussive affairs, but otherwise damn fine.

BEAUTIFUL FUTURE - Primal Scream
Not a classic by any means but there’s some enjoyable tracks on this, though one track is such a rip-off of Back Off Boogaloo that I can’t believe that the solicitors of a certain R Starkey Esq have not been on the phone to Mr Bobbie G as I believe the little rock’n’roll outlaw likes to be called.

COUNTRY LIFE – Roxy Music
The consensus used to be that this was a bit of a poor relation to the albums that preceded it. Well, listening back after all this time I’m not sure that’s true. This sounds great to me – I must admit I enjoyed it more than one of its more illustrious predecessors (Stranded) which I played recently. The hilites mightn’t be as high, but this is a really consistent set with the closing Prairie Rose sounding especially fine. Also gave the later/softer Dance Away a spin – probably not everyones cup of te here, but I love it.

SONS & FASCINATION – Simple Minds
Blimey. There’s some good stuff on this. Great to hear this one again.

DISCO BALAEARICA MIXED BY AEROPLANE – V/A

I LOVE NY PUNK – V/A
lord gazzington
72 posts

Aug 10, 2009, 09:44
Not posted for while due to relationship mess

Dead Weather - Hore Hound - Really quite enjoying this
Cornershop - Judy eats lemons for breakfast - very summery listen and good
High Contrast - 2cd album best of plus remixes
Hunter T Wolfe
Hunter T Wolfe
1707 posts

Aug 10, 2009, 14:36
Various artists- Children of Nuggets.

4 CD box set borrowed from the library. Very enjoyable and quite nostalgic- I've already got a lot of what's on here- but a bizzarely conservative track selection considering this is meant to be an overview of the 80s psychedelic revival. Which for some reason means including The Church, That Petrol Emotion, The Godfathers, Screaming Trees and The Nerves- fine as they all may be- but skipping over The Jesus and Mary Chain, Loop, Spacemen 3, Gaye Bykers on Acid, The Shamen, Cardiacs, Psychic TV, The Butthole Surfers, Husker Du, My Bloody Valentine... in favour of endless Paisley Underground and identical Australian garage bands. Ah well. Nice to hear my mate Vic on there with Vibrasonic, though.

The Doctor's Children- King Buffalo.

Sole album by this completely forgotten late 80s indie band who would have sat quite happily on the above compilation. At the time they were accused of being an Only Ones rip-off, but sit happily between The House of Love and The Weather Prophets, stealing as much from the Bunnymen and the Velvets as Perret and co. Though British, this is an American issue on the Dream Syndicate's 'Down There' label, and a hyperbolic sticker on the front quotes Sounds as saying 'The Doctor's Children are going to be the greatest band in England... nothing short of death by drowning will stop them!' I guess they all fell overboard on the way to the states, then.

Ravi Shankar- Transmigration Macabre.

Great late sixties psych-raga soundtrack LP, if rather brief at about 30 minutes duration. Only cost me a quid, though!

The Modern Lovers- Live!

That's all.
Pages: 5 – [ Previous | 1 2 3 4 5 | Next ] Add a reply to this topic

Unsung Forum Index