75 messages
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
Hunter T Wolfe
Hunter T Wolfe
1707 posts

Re: Michael Jackson's dead
Jun 26, 2009, 13:09
Just sayin'.

It's a fact that Michael Jackson's death is going to be a big mainstream cultural event. Everybody has heard of him. Most people won't have heard about Sky Saxon. But for some of us- I'd hazard, the kind of folk who hang around here- Sky Saxon feels like more of a loss, maybe his music touched us more than Jackson's. But worldwide, only a tiny minority will be mourning Sky compared to the massive amount mourning Michael.

No disrespect to anybody, and I'm not saying that Sky Saxon fans are any better than Jackson fans. As I said in my post, I accept that Jackson was incredibly talented and important. But Sky Saxon was a counter-culture hero and Michael Jackson was a mainstream one. Maybe you don't believe in such divisions, but that's all I was trying to say.

Burroughs and Diana was the same. And if you're accusing Burroughs of being a wealthy parasite, he was hardly in the same league as the peoples' princess! And in my opinion he made a far more important cultural and literary contribution. But again, like Sky, he was an outsider figure. And his wife's death was an accident, which left him with a lifelong burden of guilt.
Topic Outline:

Unsung Forum Index