Topic View: Flat | Threaded
sakedelic
sakedelic
936 posts

Edited Jun 25, 2009, 02:17
Re: The Doors 1st LP Mono Mix
Jun 25, 2009, 02:15
"Anyone heard the Elevators 1st Lp on mono reissue?"

Yeah, it's pretty good. I have the recent reissue of it on mono vinyl.

It's not as much of a revelation as the original mono of The Red Crayola's Parable of Arable Land.

And I have monos of Piper, TMSR, a few other Stones lps, and some others.

I'm always looking for mono stuff on vinyl...
Lawrence
9547 posts

Jun 25, 2009, 03:47
I have Piper on mono and an old vinyl copy of Surrealistic Pillow on mono. Both sound quite good although I can hardly tell the difference unless I use headphones or something...
1001realapes
1001realapes
2388 posts

Jun 25, 2009, 04:57
Parable in mono , holy crap !
that must be a trip and a half ,
i think Paul Drummond
mentioned a possible
re-ish !
1001realapes
1001realapes
2388 posts

Jun 25, 2009, 05:00
Just heard Country Joe & The Fish :
Electric Music For The Mind And Body
in mono...very cool !
Popel Vooje
5373 posts

Edited Jun 25, 2009, 08:27
Jun 25, 2009, 08:27
1001realapes wrote:
Parable in mono , holy crap !
that must be a trip and a half ,
i think Paul Drummond
mentioned a possible
re-ish !

Someone here - I can't remember whom - posted a link to a torrent of the mono "Parable..." a few years back. If you can be bothered to search amongst the old threads for it you might be able to find it. I downloaded it at the time and it's definitely better than the stereo (except for the "Free Form Freakouts" which I always found unlistenable in either mix, although they must have been fun to have participated in).
Popel Vooje
5373 posts

Edited Jun 25, 2009, 08:31
Jun 25, 2009, 08:31
Is there a legit mono version of "Safe as Milk" on CD? I used to have a boot containing "Bat Chain Puller" and what purported to be the mono "Safe.." but I read somewhere subsequently that it's just a fold-down of the stereo mix. I've only heard the vinyl at work, but we have a vinyl/CD recorder there so I just converted the CD tracks into MP3s and sent them to my, er..alternative e-mail address.
Eduardo
Eduardo
375 posts

Jun 25, 2009, 09:06
I love that '60s stereo presentation, although agree it can be a bit aggressive on the ears. Small Faces LP comes to mind, can't remember which one - but it's not ideal headphones listening material.

I'm not enthusiastic about mono. There's no spatial effect, to me it sounds akin to compression (it's not compression, I realise)in that you get a more direct experience but somehow less exciting.
1001realapes
1001realapes
2388 posts

Edited Jun 25, 2009, 13:57
Jun 25, 2009, 13:53
Popel Vooje wrote:
Is there a legit mono version of "Safe as Milk" on CD? I used to have a boot containing "Bat Chain Puller" and what purported to be the mono "Safe.." but I read somewhere subsequently that it's just a fold-down of the stereo mix. I've only heard the vinyl at work, but we have a vinyl/CD recorder there so I just converted the CD tracks into MP3s and sent them to my, er..alternative e-mail address.

I have an old Castle two CD of Safe As Milk & Mirror Man ,
the SAM is mono , not sure if its a fold down , someone
on the Steve Hoffman site should know .

http://www.beefheart.com/datharp/albums/official/sam.htm
Five
Five
960 posts

Jun 25, 2009, 19:06
Eduardo wrote:
I love that '60s stereo presentation, although agree it can be a bit aggressive on the ears. Small Faces LP comes to mind, can't remember which one - but it's not ideal headphones listening material.

I'm not enthusiastic about mono. There's no spatial effect, to me it sounds akin to compression (it's not compression, I realise)in that you get a more direct experience but somehow less exciting.

...but sometimes it's the right "look" , just like some movies need to be seen in B&W
Pages: 2 – [ Previous | 1 2 ] Add a reply to this topic

Unsung Forum Index