Pages: 4 – [ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ]
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
Kid Calamity
9044 posts

Edited Mar 10, 2009, 15:42
Re: PRS, license to do fuck all.
Mar 10, 2009, 15:38
Squid Tempest wrote:
As a musician myself I agree with you. However, I can understand where Micmacmoc is coming from. It is a bit much to expect a small shop like his to fork out £300. They would be better charging more realistic amounts. At least then the musicians would get something back from his enterprise. As it is, small businesses will either not play the CDs or will try to do it illegally, neither of which benefits the musician.

I think I agree... But, say, a small gallery cum coffee shop in somewhere like... let's say, Mevagissy - which doesn't sell records, yet uses music to augment the atmosphere its visitors and customers enjoy paid a small contribution, based on type of business/turn over, surely that might be more fair.

Also, say even if they didn't subscribe to PRS - not paying a penny towards the musicians' fund, but were playing a record by someone like... umm, let's say Inkberrow alternatives 'And Also The Trees' - Now, a visitor, whilst at the counter forking out for a seascape painting might ask the slightly bleary eyed manager who the dark melodramatic music's by as they've never heard it before and want to go and get a copy. The band are more likely to get a little more exposure and possibly a record sale as the gallery was effectively advertising their product - whilst using it to effectively help advertise their own.

Isn't it a bit like having the radio on at work?
vince
vince
1628 posts

Re: Youtube to take down music video content in the UK
Mar 10, 2009, 15:53
You're absolutely right KC...in an ideal world. But we ARE talking about the 'music business' here so there has to be at least 99% bullshit involved!!
Squid Tempest
Squid Tempest
8761 posts

Mar 10, 2009, 16:37
Kid Calamity wrote:
Squid Tempest wrote:
As a musician myself I agree with you. However, I can understand where Micmacmoc is coming from. It is a bit much to expect a small shop like his to fork out £300. They would be better charging more realistic amounts. At least then the musicians would get something back from his enterprise. As it is, small businesses will either not play the CDs or will try to do it illegally, neither of which benefits the musician.

I think I agree... But, say, a small gallery cum coffee shop in somewhere like... let's say, Mevagissy - which doesn't sell records, yet uses music to augment the atmosphere its visitors and customers enjoy paid a small contribution, based on type of business/turn over, surely that might be more fair.

Also, say even if they didn't subscribe to PRS - not paying a penny towards the musicians' fund, but were playing a record by someone like... umm, let's say Inkberrow alternatives 'And Also The Trees' - Now, a visitor, whilst at the counter forking out for a seascape painting might ask the slightly bleary eyed manager who the dark melodramatic music's by as they've never heard it before and want to go and get a copy. The band are more likely to get a little more exposure and possibly a record sale as the gallery was effectively advertising their product - whilst using it to effectively help advertise their own.

Isn't it a bit like having the radio on at work?

I thought that was what I was saying! Sort of. Except the radio bit.
Kid Calamity
9044 posts

Mar 10, 2009, 16:59
Sorry, Squid I couldn't have read your last post thoroughly. Yes, we're both of the same opinions. We should set up our own breakaway version; Comprehensive Royalties Allocation Policy. C.R.A.P.
micmacmoc
micmacmoc
288 posts

Mar 10, 2009, 17:03
Yup, i will pay for that!
Kid Calamity
9044 posts

Mar 10, 2009, 17:06
You will!?!!? Me and Squid can't even agree to agree on how to run our operation, yet. But, I'm already starting our 'Cut The CRAP' marketing campaign. I just hope he's in agreement.
Kid Calamity
9044 posts

Edited Mar 10, 2009, 17:34
Mar 10, 2009, 17:15
Squid Tempest wrote:
... neither of which benefits the musician.

Kid Calamity wrote:
...The band are more likely to get a little more exposure and possibly a record sale as the gallery was effectively advertising their product...

Squid Tempest wrote:
I thought that was what I was saying! Sort of. Except the radio bit.

I guess I was sort of disagreeing about the artiste getting some benefit bit, actually - even if there's no payment made to PRS, at all. But I was just splitting hairs, really. Sorry, I'm a bit distracted trying to multitask, at the moment - and let's face it, that's just not in my genetic coding.
micmacmoc
micmacmoc
288 posts

Mar 10, 2009, 17:28
i'm building skyrise lego tower blocks with little stella and have now calmed down, structural integrity vs height vs can i get the next layer on before she pushes it over onto me!

woah, there goes moctowers mk 3
CRASH!
Squid Tempest
Squid Tempest
8761 posts

Mar 10, 2009, 19:15
Almost seriously I was wondering earlier about the viability of a Music For Cafes series of compilation CDs. The idea being that for a small subscription, cafes get sent the series in instalments or summat. Thus the CDs, if popular enough, might just pay for themselves, and the cafes get interesting cheap music. The music could possibly be themed (a peaceful CD, a noisy one, a bouncy one) to help the cafe owner, the bands or composers would get some free publicity...all kinds of stuff. A little poster explaining the deal could be included for cafe owners to stick in their window. Almost seriously...
Squid Tempest
Squid Tempest
8761 posts

Mar 10, 2009, 19:18
and I wasn't really concentrating! I had a distracting afternoon at work going on unfortunately! I think we agree, but, hell I don't really care enough to read it all back! I'm sure if we sat down with a beer and discussed it we'd sort it out.
Pages: 4 – [ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ] Add a reply to this topic

Unsung Forum Index