Youtube to take down music video content in the UK

Pages: 4 – [ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ]
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
micmacmoc
micmacmoc
288 posts

Re: PRS, license to do fuck all.
Mar 10, 2009, 20:13
i'm up for afternoons discussing music with the aid of beer...is'nt that the meaning of life? 42? Pah!
shanshee_allures
2563 posts

Re: Youtube to take down music video content in the UK
Mar 10, 2009, 21:14
They say 'premuim' music vids, so I think it may mean Beyonce, U2, and other multi selling shit like that.

Stuff most of us here don't care about anyways.

I think.

x
Dog 3000
Dog 3000
4611 posts

Mar 11, 2009, 01:42
micmacmoc wrote:

It is not fair! I understand that 80% of the money they collect goes to 20% of the artists, presumably Bongo, Godolf and fucking Collins.

As I understand it, the way RIAA royalties in the USA are distributed means if you play Black Flag or Anal Magic or a cassette of your teenage cousin's band on the radio, then Michael Jackson gets a penny (and triple that if the Internet is somehow involved.)

There is nothing that connects up "what was actually played" with "who gets paid" -- I would have no qualms paying musicians whose music I like, but why should Bono or MJ get most of the money just because they shifted a lot of units in the past?

The bit about bugging you to resubscribe to their service frankly sounds like a "protection racket." Artists should want their music played for FREE in record shops, it's incredibly valuable advertising! (Sheeit baby, bands should pay the stores for that kind of exposure!!)

I'm a friend to musicians everywhere, but these "unions that (supposedly) protect musicians" are infuriating . . .
Kid Calamity
9042 posts

Edited Mar 11, 2009, 09:32
Mar 11, 2009, 09:27
That's a good idea.

Funnily enough - when we were having this discussion yesterday I was thinking of sending Madmacmoc a Neotopia CD over, as we, as a band, just want to be heard and (if it's at all possible) enjoyed.

Aren't those 'new age' moods CDs featuring pan pipes and trickling water effects you hear playing in some so-called garden centres exempt from PRS?
Kid Calamity
9042 posts

Mar 11, 2009, 09:28
Works for me.
Squid Tempest
Squid Tempest
8761 posts

Mar 11, 2009, 09:35
Kid Calamity wrote:
Aren't those 'new age' moods CDs featuring pan pipes and trickling water effects you hear playing in some so-called garden centres exempt from PRS?

Possibly, but I'm talking about real music ;)
Kid Calamity
9042 posts

Mar 11, 2009, 09:47
So why on earth would somebody with Micmocmad's questionable taste and cloth ears be interested?
sakedelic
sakedelic
936 posts

Re: Youtube to take down music video content in the UK
Mar 11, 2009, 09:49
They took down alot of Warner Music Group stuff across the board from
a rare Flamin Groovies clip, to a Chris Squire solo track, to whatever I haven't missed yet, here in thee USA
embryonomore
embryonomore
853 posts

Even the Rick Astley ones?
Mar 11, 2009, 09:50
He's never been so popular.
micmacmoc
micmacmoc
288 posts

Mar 11, 2009, 14:35
right, thats it, Im putting Dido on now. serves the public right!
Pages: 4 – [ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ] Add a reply to this topic

Unsung Forum Index