Cold Sun, Golden Dawn, Bubble Puppy recent Texan Psychedelic reissues

Topic View: Flat | Threaded
Stevo
Stevo
6664 posts

Edited Nov 28, 2008, 13:43
Cold Sun, Golden Dawn, Bubble Puppy recent Texan Psychedelic reissues
Nov 28, 2008, 13:42
Was the recent world In Sound reissue of Cold Sun's Night shadows a limited edition or something? Copies on various amazon sites seem to be rising in price. Did somebody on this list have some degree of trouble in ordering straight from the label?

Looks like Charly have just reissued the International Artists label lps by Golden Dawn & Bubble Puppy in special limited edition book sleeves. There's an ad in the latest, Elvis cover Record Collector saying that if you buy the 2 together from the Charly website you get a free copy of the promo disc for the forthcoming 13th Floor elevators box set 3 eyed men. I can guarantee that the Golden Dawn lp is something very special. It sounds very lysergic soaked while maintaining an ear for hooks that reminds me of the Monkees.
Those likely to be interested will probably have noted the presence of Bubble Puppy's Hot Smoke & Sassafras on the current Mojo cover mounted cd.

I also found out that there is a recent/extant reissue of the 1st 2 Fever tree lps on 1 Collector's Choice cd after seeing that Shindig was pointing people in the direction of an OOP See For Miles one that is likely to be pricey since long gone.
Stevo
earthlingfred93
1115 posts

Re: Cold Sun, Golden Dawn, Bubble Puppy recent Texan Psychedelic reissues
Nov 28, 2008, 15:54
Got the golden dawn on 180g vinyl. Was and still am a bit disappointed. It does however contain the stonking 'My time' but overall it's trying desperately to be the elevators and falling flat. I'll be around and seeing is believing are good tunes as well as the semi-classic 'Starvation' but stuff like 'this way please' are pretty miserable....
Stevo
Stevo
6664 posts

Nov 28, 2008, 17:50
I wouldn't agree Think the rest of the lp is pretty good. Think I probably selected the tracks you mention for my walkman but i certainly don't think it has 'bad' tracks on it.
Have you listened to it much as an lp? possibly bits grow on you more with repeated plays. Of course tastes differ but I do think its pretty good throughout. Have had copies of it since the 80s Edsel reissue so can't think back to early plays of it that easily.
Stevo
zerkalo
zerkalo
488 posts

Nov 28, 2008, 20:22
Personally I love it, but it doesn't even come close to the Elevators for me despite the obvious similarities and I'd agree although there's some moments of brilliance across it there's some clunkers too. George Kinney and Roky grew up together and played in the same band pre-Elevators and Golden Dawn, and GD's record deal was apparently helped along by The Elevators already being signed. I seem to remember reading that the label delayed the release of Power Plant so it didn't distract from the release of Easter Everywhere, but either way I think most of us would agree on which was the better album of the two
Popel Vooje
5373 posts

Nov 28, 2008, 21:05
I like them both - I think the Golden Dawn were the best band on that label bar the Elevetors and the Red Krayola. Some of the other stuff I've heard like the Lost & Found's album is pretty hit-and-miss. Also, although they weren't an IA band, I was slightly disappointed by the Moving Sidewalks LP. It has one gem on it ("Flashback"), and some of the singles tagged on at the end of the TRC boot are excellent, but I'd read it was a lost pscyhe classic and found the rest a bit average and too in awe of Jimi Hendrix for its own good.
zerkalo
zerkalo
488 posts

Nov 28, 2008, 21:40
Popel Vooje wrote:
I was slightly disappointed by the Moving Sidewalks LP. It has one gem on it ("Flashback"), and some of the singles tagged on at the end of the TRC boot are excellent, but I'd read it was a lost pscyhe classic and found the rest a bit average and too in awe of Jimi Hendrix for its own good.

I sold my copy of Flashback on, found it really dull, apart from the lovely Akarma mini-LP sleeve and the extras. Bought it on the strength of hearing the pre-album singles I already had on various compilations, they are indeed superb
earthlingfred93
1115 posts

Nov 29, 2008, 10:59
I got the album about 10 years ago and had it on tape in my car playing constantly for months. I loved the album but after a hiatus of some years I went back and found it a little patchy in places. I wouldnt dismiss it though. Like i wrote earlier the few great songs on it are really great....
Stevo
Stevo
6664 posts

Nov 29, 2008, 11:44
Ok, I still find the 'lesser' or whatever you'd call them tracks pretty rewarding.
I'm also not sure about how much they wanted to be the Elevators. I know there's biographical crossover between the bands in the shape of lead singer George Kinney & Roky having grown up together and been in earlier bands together so could put it down to shared influence. I'd also say that the sound was significantly different enough, wouldn't think of it as being a clone or anything. GD seem way more folk rock/pop hook orientated than the Elevators for one thing. I tend to think of it as being a pretty individual lp. As are the 13FE of course & i can't remember if I've gone through any periods of playing the lps back to back which might lead me to other conclusions. I don't really think so though.
Haven't really heard the other, lesser IA artists or other bands presumably coming up in the same scene. Would think that scenes tend to have some elements of shared sound. Were there scores of bands garaging the model that 13FE were having some success with? Though always thought that 13FE came out with their particular sound because of the interplay between the individual personalities involved & would say the same with GD I think.

Would be interesting to read the book thing that the new Charly reissue of Power Plant comes with to see what that revealed. Unlikely to get it right now though since I've already got the older one. Akarma or Get Back or something.
Unsung Forum Index